Higgenbotham's Dark Age Hovel

Higgenbotham

Re: Higgenbotham's Dark Age Hovel

Post by Higgenbotham »

Guest wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:47 pm
Millions of homeless Americans don't even get table scraps.
Go West, young homeless man.

Benefits for California's homeless - the new gold rush.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+we ... fornia+get
DerekFisherPrice
OP

1y ago

When I first moved to 6th and Mission, the weirdest thing I noticed is that I was RARELY ever being begged for money. I've lived in a few rough neighborhoods with lots of homeless folks, but unlike anywhere else, here in SF there were virtually no panhandlers; no begging, no signs, no verbally asking for a buck.

I just heard about the CAAP benefits program, how homeless in SF can get $600 monthly in cash, and it all made sense.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisco/c ... thly_cash/

The homeless do well in Texas too. In addition to the benefits, the panhandling is pretty good.
I knew someone that panhandled as a social experiment. He made between $150 - $200 per day at the corners of Kirby/59 and Buffalo/59. The money was all given to charity
https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/commen ... s_make_at/

This is a sample I just found on reddit, but I've heard it can me much more lucrative than this in Houston for those who know how to work it.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Jhshsk

Post by Jhshsk »

How long can the taxpayers survive this? If it were just Americans, I would support it, to a degree. However, today were are supporting a huge chunk of the third world.

I' thank God I never had any children.

God's Will be done.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Jhshsk wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:17 pm
How long can the taxpayers survive this? If it were just Americans, I would support it, to a degree. However, today were are supporting a huge chunk of the third world.

I' thank God I never had any children.

God's Will be done.
I've been saying not much longer for a long time, if you consider 12 or 13 years to be a long time in this scheme of things.

Not much longer. Interest rates have been shooting up. That's the sign it is terminating, in my opinion.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Jhshsk

Post by Jhshsk »

I appreciate your efforts, Higgenbotham and John's too.

I feel like a man tied up and lying on railway tracks. I can see the train coming, and I know it is going to cut me into pieces. But at least I can see it coming.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:33 pm
I have about 5K worth of hand tools in old dollars and will go through them and add anything I forgot.
I was just about to the point a couple days ago where I would have been able to lay these out on the garage floor, photo them, and talk about anything else that came to mind from that. It would be just one man's collection that was amassed for a specific purpose (remodeling homes built about a century ago). I see contractors with better sets of tools, but a lot of it's not necessary in my opinion.

Anyway, about the time I got everything cleared out of the garage, my wife called and said she found someone who is combining households (second marriage) and wanted all her furniture moved out right away so she could sell her house. She gave a lot of it away. So the garage is full again.

Post by guest »

The tax take & DEI initiatives have fuelled the rise in experienced workers over 50 taking retirement and moving abroad.

This Tory Government is absolutely clueless. They seem to be permanently unable to see the consequences of their actions, the tourist tax being another case in point. The sad truth is that Labour will be no better, probably considerably worse.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:23 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:00 am
I look at it as some version of the elites started to become sure of themselves some 35 years ago that they would be able to fight the next war with robots (as well as manning the factories with robots), so they could go ahead and sacrifice the population from which the traditional military recruits come from, as they have always represented a risk to elite domination.
I'll explain in more detail one reason I made the underlined statement.

Consider the google search below for "what does the fbi consider the biggest domestic threat". The results brought up are consistent with what the FBI has considered the biggest domestic threat for a very long time, at least since the advent of "The Order" in the early 1980s, which I've written about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+do ... tic+threat

Here is a typical sample from the above search, which comes from a government web site: "In FY 2020, the FBI assessed the greatest terrorism threat to the United States was from lone actors or small cells who typically radicalize online (and look to attack soft targets with easily accessible weapons. The underlying drivers, including sociopolitical conditions, racism, and antiSemitism remain constant)." The part continued in parenthesis is in the report and not visible from the google search.

Not even biggest domestic terrorist threat. Greatest terrorism threat to the United States, period.

Where do these "lone actors or small cells" that the FBI refers to come from?" From the same population from which the traditional military recruits come from.

As for the rest of it, it's sort of like the discussion about Amazon openly supporting BLM and Defund the Police. They cannot not be aware that doing so will wreak havoc on bricks and mortar retail businesses. Many less directly connected to any vested interest might shrug their shoulders and say, oh, well, we can just order it online and pretty soon online retailers will be able to deliver via drone to my front porch in my gated community in less than 24 hours anyway. But if that wasn't possible or assumed to be possible, they might think a little harder and advocate for bricks and mortar retail businesses quite a bit more, perhaps enough to make a difference.
I didn't finish my thoughts on this and have seen a lot of related discussion on the board since I posted this.

I remember the news reports minutes after the Oklahoma City bombing. It was reported that (I believe it was two) two men of Middle Eastern descent were thought to have fled the scene of the bombing and that's who was being sought. I was working in an office. I said that I doubted anyone of Middle Eastern descent was responsible; it was probably an American.

Now I think the FBI is living in the past. It's my assessment that "the population from which the traditional military recruits come from" (as mentioned above) has been so thoroughly beaten down that it would be extremely difficult to organically assemble a group out of that population to challenge state authority. I put it this way 5 years ago:
Higgenbotham wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:20 am
No, I don't see a Civil War. The FBI said if Scutari had showed up in 1983 things may have been different because Scutari had the rare ability to organize and lead an underground movement composed of separate cells operated on a need to know basis. Finding a competent leader who can herd today's cats is unlikely. Competence has gone down the drain in the past 35 years.
Higgenbotham wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:21 pm
aeden wrote:No H I have no aspiration since America went past herding Cats along time ago.
No great leader would take it on. You can't make a run at glory with attention deficit disordered asthmatic diabetics with celiac disease who are addicted to drugs. And why would a great leader want to save these cats. Even the army has a tremendous problem finding recruits that are fit for duty.
It's not that there are absolutely no people capable of doing this. It's that they are spread so much thinner through the population that organically assembling them into a coherent, workable unit, as was done in the 1980s and may have been possible as late as 2010 is an extremely low probability outcome. As I walk around and survey the population, I just don't see the strong, healthy, determined, tough young men that existed 3 or 4 decades ago in any significant numbers. I see 32 year olds with man boobs and 22 year olds who look like faggots. The FBI may "hear" them "chattering" on the Internet but that doesn't mean a whole lot, in my opinion.

Related to the above: Wingspread Statement http://gdxforum.com/forum/search.php?ke ... wingspread

"In 1991, a group of scientists met in Racine, Wisconsin, to discuss the effects of living in what many describe as a sea of artificial oestrogens, and issued something called the Wingspread Statement: ‘The concentrations of a number of synthetic hormone agonists and antagonists measured in the US human population today are well within the range and dosages at which effects are seen in wildlife populations,’ the scientists warned.

‘Unless the environmental load of synthetic hormone disruptors is abated and controlled, large-scale dysfunction at the population level is possible’ – which would seem to imply that social sexual choices and behaviour could be affected by exposure.

‘Many wildlife populations are already affected by these compounds,’ the scientists continued. ‘The impacts include thyroid dysfunction in birds and fish; decreased fertility in birds, fish, shellfish and mammals; decreased hatching success in birds, fish and turtles; gross birth deformities in birds, fish and turtles; [...] demasculinization and feminization in male fish, birds and mammals; defeminization and masculinization of female fish and birds; and compromised immune systems in birds and mammals.’

Five years later, Theo Colborn, Dianne Dumanoski and John Peterson Myers came out with the book Our Stolen Future, establishing that hormone effects were not only well-documented, but also subtler and more widespread than anyone had anticipated."

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Probably there are many people who would look at the photos of the apartment units around my former Dark Age Hovel and conclude my neighbors are simply pigs who need to clean up their act and there are no excuses. Maybe so.

The stench of pot permeates the air nearly every time I walk to and from the parking lot.

None of it bothers me all that much and I don't have much of an opinion about it except: It's a new dark age. When the transfer payments come to a halt, as I think is likely soon, that won't be the place to be. It was good for 19 years as the world rumbled along on the plateau before what I perceive to be the imminent coming fall off the plateau that has already started and is picking up speed.

Post by Guest »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:59 am
Probably there are many people who would look at the photos of the apartment units around my former Dark Age Hovel and conclude my neighbors are simply pigs who need to clean up their act and there are no excuses. Maybe so.

The stench of pot permeates the air nearly every time I walk to and from the parking lot.

None of it bothers me all that much and I don't have much of an opinion about it except: It's a new dark age. When the transfer payments come to a halt, as I think is likely soon, that won't be the place to be. It was good for 19 years as the world rumbled along on the plateau before what I perceive to be the imminent coming fall off the plateau that has already started and is picking up speed.
Yes, but while I agree that a house is safer, the location is more so. I would move to North Dakota, if I could.

Post by Guest »

Higgenbotham posted:
"In 1991, a group of scientists met in Racine, Wisconsin, to discuss the effects of living in what many describe as a sea of artificial oestrogens, and issued something called the Wingspread Statement: ‘The concentrations of a number of synthetic hormone agonists and antagonists measured in the US human population today are well within the range and dosages at which effects are seen in wildlife populations,’ the scientists warned.

‘Unless the environmental load of synthetic hormone disruptors is abated and controlled, large-scale dysfunction at the population level is possible’ – which would seem to imply that social sexual choices and behaviour could be affected by exposure.

‘Many wildlife populations are already affected by these compounds,’ the scientists continued. ‘The impacts include thyroid dysfunction in birds and fish; decreased fertility in birds, fish, shellfish and mammals; decreased hatching success in birds, fish and turtles; gross birth deformities in birds, fish and turtles; [...] demasculinization and feminization in male fish, birds and mammals; defeminization and masculinization of female fish and birds; and compromised immune systems in birds and mammals.’

Five years later, Theo Colborn, Dianne Dumanoski and John Peterson Myers came out with the book Our Stolen Future, establishing that hormone effects were not only well-documented, but also subtler and more widespread than anyone had anticipated."
I don't know if this report is still valid, but it appears the book's premise is still difficult to prove.
August 4, 1999
Study Inconclusive on Chemicals' Effects
Related Article
Citing Children, E.P.A. Is Banning Common Pesticide (Aug. 3)
Forum

Join a Discussion on Science in the News
By GINA KOLATA
Apanel of experts convened to study a class of environmental contaminants known as "endocrine disrupters" has concluded that not enough is known about them to determine whether they cause health problems at the low levels in which they typically occur in the environment.

The panel, convened by the National Research Council at the request of Federal agencies and Congress, said in its report released Tuesday that as yet there is insufficient evidence to say the chemicals are causing human cancers and other problems, like infertility. While high concentrations of such compounds, like the hormone diethylstilbesterol and the pesticide DDT, can be harmful to health, the panel wrote, "the extent of harm caused by exposure to these compounds in concentrations that are common in the environment is debated."
No easy answers about a class of contaminants.

In fact, the panel seemed to take pains to refer to the compounds not as endocrine disrupters but rather as "hormonally active agents." The experts said much more research was needed before the dangers of day-to-day exposures to the contaminants can be ascertained but added that scientists did not agree on what exposure levels should be studied or even how to screen for the compounds and their possible influences in people.

"This field is rife with uncertainty," said Dr. Ernst Knobil, who was chairman of the panel. Dr. Knobil, a professor in the medical school at the University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center, added, "It's an exceedingly complex environmental issue and there are no easy answers."

Concerns about endocrine disrupters have been growing for nearly a decade based on a series of observations and deductions. Certain pesticides, like DDT and PCB's and chemicals in plastics, mimic the hormone estrogen. Wildlife that had been exposed to the chemicals in high concentrations were harmed. And women whose mothers had taken high doses of the synthetic estrogen diethylstilbesterol when they were pregnant -- in the hope of preventing miscarriages -- developed vaginal cancers.

The fear was that as use of these chemicals rose, humans were being harmed in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

The panel's report was requested four years ago by Congress, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of the Interior and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Congress has directed the Environmental Protection Agency to screen compounds for hormonal effects, and today the agency praised the council's report, especially its endorsement of screening and its call for additional research.

"It's a very important report," said J. Charles Fox, who is an assistant administrator there. "It is very consistent with the research agenda we have developed and in fact the report endorses many of the recommendations that we have developed to deal with the potential threat to health and the environment."

The report elicited mixed reactions from scientists, ranging from praise by those who were concerned about the compounds to withering criticism from skeptics of the endocrine disrupter hypothesis.

"I'm amazed and I'm pleased," said Dr. Theo Colborn, a senior program scientist at the World Wildlife Fund and whose book, "Our Endangered Future," helped make "endocrine disrupters" a national issue. She said she was delighted that the expert panel did not dismiss suspicions about endocrine disrupters and that it agreed with her that at high doses, the chemicals can injure people and animals. With the evidence at hand, she said, it is wise to follow the precautionary principle: limit exposure as much as possible while research continues.

"This is a growing field," Dr. Colborn said. "Just because we don't have the evidence does not mean there are no effects."

By contrast, Dr. Elizabeth M. Whelan, president of the American Council on Science and Health, said she was dismayed by the report. The endocrine disrupter hypothesis, she said, "has never been grounded in any reality." It is easy to call for more research in the absence of evidence of danger, she said. But, she added, that does not help people who need to know if they should, or should not, be worried about the food they eat, the water they drink, the air they breathe, and the plastics they use.

"I am now convinced that one of the major problems is that scientists are unwilling to use the four-letter word, 'safe.' " Dr. Whelan said. The council is mostly financed by foundations but also receives some of its money from industry groups.

Committee members emphasized that they were a diverse group, and said they had struggled to write a report that all could endorse.

"It is signed off by the most ardent advocates as well as the most ardent objectors," of the endocrine-disrupter hypothesis, Dr. Knobil said.

In chapter after chapter, the report examines suspicions about the chemicals, and evidence for the suspicions. In the process, it raises questions about virtually every aspect of the field, starting with the description of the chemicals themselves.

Dr. Knobil explained that even when high doses of the chemicals elicited adverse health effects, it was never clear that the effects were due to endocrine hormone disruptions. DDT, for example thinned the eggshells of birds. "What is the endocrinologic basis of eggshell thinning?" Dr. Knobil asked. "No one has come up with one yet.

"If you don't know the mechanism, you can't ascribe the effect to endocrine disruption," Dr. Knobil said. The group decided to call the chemicals "hormonally active agents," instead. They defined such chemicals as any that had hormonal effects in a laboratory test.

A problem that plagued the group was how to deal with questions of exposure level. In general, the chemicals are present in the environment in minuscule quantities whereas the known effects occurred at high concentrations. Moreover, the human body is virtually awash in a sea of naturally occurring hormonally active agents that are present in much greater amounts than the chemicals in question. These range from hormones made by the body, like estrogen and testosterone, to hormones in pills, like birth control pills, to hormone-like substances in plants that people eat.

It is possible that chemicals like pesticides and chemicals in plastics interact with these much more abundant hormones in the body, but no one can say for sure, the report said.

"We need some quantitative assessments of these interactions," Dr. Knobil said, "and then we need to come to informed and intelligent conclusions about what the risks are."

The difficulties in getting a handle on the risks posed by the chemicals extended from epidemiology to basic biochemistry.

The chapter of the report on "Screening and Monitoring" began: "There are no generally accepted, validated methods to screen for or monitor exposure to chemicals that could cause adverse hormonal activity -- largely because of the complexity of the endocrine system."

The chapter on "Neurological Effects" states in its introduction that some scientists proposed that the chemicals act on fetuses and cause neurological damage. But, the group wrote: "In humans, particularly, a number of difficulties are associated with the investigation" of neurological effects, "including the recognition that such effects may be quite subtle, and the possibly long delay between exposure and outcome."

One of the most often cited concerns about the chemicals is that they are causing epidemics of breast cancer and male reproductive system problems, including hypospadia, in which the urethra opens at the bottom rather than the top of the penis, undescended testes, and lowered sperm counts.

The panel wrote that studies to date did not support an association between exposure to the chemicals and breast cancer in women or hypospadia, or undescended testes in men. The sperm data, the group concluded, were "controversial." The panel members wrote in that they had not agreed among themselves about whether sperm counts really were declining.

If the public really does want to get definitive answers to the questions of whether endocrine disrupters are a major public health threat, the studies that would be necessary could last for decades and require huge investments from the Federal government. Is it the best way to spend resources?

That is not a question for his group, Dr. Knobil said. That, he said, "is a matter for policymakers to decide."

The report can be obtained from the Academy at www.nationalacademies.org. Printed copies of the report may be obtained from the National Academy Press, 2101 Constitution Avenue N.W., Washington, 20418.