Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Higgenbotham

Re: Planning a life path

Post by Higgenbotham »

Bob Butler wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:05 pm
A student who does not select an education that leads to required skills openly sought in employment is asking for it. This is not really a political flaw, but a problem in setting your life goals.
This gets back to one of the core issues of the 2016 election. The issue or question was whether the majority of US citizens, mostly those who do not have college degrees in other words, are right to expect that their jobs should not have been shipped offshore via phony "free trade" agreements so that those citizens who have the remaining "good jobs" could buy cheaper television sets and other goods. Those who argued that the "deplorables" are not right to expect that pointed at the "deplorables" and said that it was essentially their fault that the factory they had worked in for years had pulled up stakes and moved to Mexico, South Korea, or China, and according to propaganda like "Who Moved My Cheese" it was simply an attitude adjustment that was required to go out and find more cheese. I would argue that someone who got a high school diploma, showed up at a factory job for years, and did good enough work to stay on the payroll did not fail to properly set life goals when the rug was pulled out from under them.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 pm
I would argue that someone who got a high school diploma, showed up at a factory job for years, and did good enough work to stay on the payroll did not fail to properly set life goals when the rug was pulled out from under them.
Probably right. Globalism was pushed too hard. The corporations gained profit by taking advantage of cheaper labor abroad, shafting previously loyal employees. In part due to Covid this has become less fashionable, recognizing that critical products should be made at home. In my opinion, during much of this time period the politicians valued contributions from big business over serving the voters. You serve the elite’s interest rather than the people. This has reduced somewhat, not enough, but does not entirely replace other aspects of the problem. Thinking ahead in your youth to fit your education into your hoped for job is something everyone should do.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Bob Butler wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:27 am
Higgenbotham wrote:
I would argue that someone who got a high school diploma, showed up at a factory job for years, and did good enough work to stay on the payroll did not fail to properly set life goals when the rug was pulled out from under them.
Probably right. Globalism was pushed too hard.
Higgie, you absolutely nailed it.
And here I am agreeing with Bob again. I had to alter my post, I was expecting him to be supporting "survival of the fittest" after his previous post.

Maybe there's hope.
As the psychiatrist said in "What about Bob?" - "baby steps."

Post by guest »

Bob Butler wrote:
Higgenbotham wrote:
Probably right. Globalism was pushed too hard. The corporations gained profit by taking advantage of cheaper labor abroad, shafting previously loyal employees. In part due to Covid this has become less fashionable, recognizing that critical products should be made at home. In my opinion, during much of this time period the politicians valued contributions from big business over serving the voters. You serve the elite’s interest rather than the people. This has reduced somewhat, not enough, but does not entirely replace other aspects of the problem. Thinking ahead in your youth to fit your education into your hoped for job is something everyone should do.
Butler, you are an elitist yourself, and one of the worst kind: a hypocritical one. I agree with the others that hell awaits you (whether you believe in it or not is irrelevant), but I hope you live a long life. I want you to suffer the downfall with everyone else. Most of the Boomers that I have know, mostly leftist spews like you, have died in the fifties after a lifetime of smoking dope. How sad. I wanted them to suffer. It is interesting; however, that towards the end of their lives, they did see how things were fraying at the edges. Yet, they wouldn't not fully admit that they had been wrong or that they had contributed to the rot. The smugness had left them.

Higgenbotham gets it. Butler never will. He will end up like the Boomers i have know, unwilling to admit to anything.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:06 am
Bob Butler wrote:
Higgenbotham wrote:
Probably right. Globalism was pushed too hard.
Higgie, you absolutely nailed it.
And here I am agreeing with Bob again. I had to alter my post, I was expecting him to be supporting "survival of the fittest" after his previous post.

Maybe there's hope.
As the psychiatrist said in "What about Bob?" - "baby steps."
The problem is that he finally just said ... mostly nothing. He didn't address that the people he supports called everyone else "deplorables". This shows that he has zero insight or clue and that when his pols/leaders "hate" he excuses them or thinks it is ok, or ignores it. Again, it is proof that they project on others what they themselves do. And then they act like they don't know what you are talking about when you point it out.

An analyst last night made the good point, wow, this is amazing, the politicians (starting with Hillary back then, Obama did it a bit too before her) including Biden now actively demean and demonize the voters, or a large portion of them. Think of how ridiculous and stupid that is, beyond divisive! But the bishes cheer them on and then act like the other people are the "haters"! Amazing!

Tom Mazanec

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Tom Mazanec »

2 Nov, 2022 10:29
HomeRussia & FSU
NATO has doubled troops on border – Russia
https://www.rt.com/russia/565792-russia ... ps-border/

Kim Jong Un Inches Closer to All-Out War Than Ever Before
Donald Kirk - Yesterday 11:14 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ki ... r-AA13FyXN

Pray for the world.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

What I can't help but wonder: how well would the Chinese actually perform in a war? Their last conflict was in 1979 against Vietnam, and their performance was far from optimal, to be generous. The war in Ukraine should show the difference between paper strength and actual combat capability. Most people, myself included, assumed Ukraine would be steamrolled in a matter of weeks, with NATO supporting a long insurgency. Instead, it's taking all their strength just to hold on to the territory they have, to the point where they're having to resort to T-62s.

I'm aware that war games almost always have them winning, but they're often designed that way, to find vulnerabilities and force our military leaders to face the worst-possible scenario. I expect trying to get a bigger budget is a consideration as well. The enemy faces no logistical problems, their entire Navy and Air Force is operational, every missile battery is operational and accurate, etc.

The DF-21 and DF-26 are so-called carrier killers, but we don't know how effective they would be in real combat, given carriers are moving targets. You also have our own SEAD efforts hampering them further. I'll admit to this being speculation, but I suspect Russia's debacle in Ukraine has given the CCP pause. Taiwan's a much harder target and most likely, they wouldn't be facing them alone. Their geography alone is a guerilla nightmare. Amphibious landings are likewise extremely difficult.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Most people, myself included, assumed Ukraine would be steamrolled in a matter of weeks,
You did better than me, Trevor.
I was thinking days.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

VLAD’S SICK Besieged Russian troops ‘eat ZOO animals including a bison, a kangaroo & ostriches to stay alive on Ukraine frontline’
Rebecca Husselbee
6:51 ET, Nov 4 2022Updated: 9:48 ET, Nov 4 2022
https://www.the-sun.com/news/6599991/ru ... o-ukraine/

Ukraine’s president accuses Russia of ‘energy terrorism’
By ANDREW MELDRUM
21 minutes ago
https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... 96c3937006

Russia Threatens Norway With "Final Destruction" Of Relations
BY TYLER DURDEN
FRIDAY, NOV 04, 2022 - 02:45 AM
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... operations

Russia's ambassador warns 'Britain is too deep' into the Ukraine conflict and says Moscow will publish 'proof' UK helped carry out suicide drone attack on the Black Sea fleet - adding: 'It is dangerous... it escalates the situation'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-war.html

JAPAN AIR RAID SIRENS SOUND; CITIZENS TOLD "TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY" - NORTH KOREA MISSILE LAUNCHES
WORLD
HAL TURNER
02 NOVEMBER 2022
https://halturnerradioshow.com/index.ph ... e-launches

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

Trevor wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:29 pm
What I can't help but wonder: how well would the Chinese actually perform in a war? Their last conflict was in 1979 against Vietnam, and their performance was far from optimal, to be generous. The war in Ukraine should show the difference between paper strength and actual combat capability. Most people, myself included, assumed Ukraine would be steamrolled in a matter of weeks, with NATO supporting a long insurgency. Instead, it's taking all their strength just to hold on to the territory they have, to the point where they're having to resort to T-62s.

I'm aware that war games almost always have them winning, but they're often designed that way, to find vulnerabilities and force our military leaders to face the worst-possible scenario. I expect trying to get a bigger budget is a consideration as well. The enemy faces no logistical problems, their entire Navy and Air Force is operational, every missile battery is operational and accurate, etc.

The DF-21 and DF-26 are so-called carrier killers, but we don't know how effective they would be in real combat, given carriers are moving targets. You also have our own SEAD efforts hampering them further. I'll admit to this being speculation, but I suspect Russia's debacle in Ukraine has given the CCP pause. Taiwan's a much harder target and most likely, they wouldn't be facing them alone. Their geography alone is a guerilla nightmare. Amphibious landings are likewise extremely difficult.
The answer is, no one knows. China has done a much better job, on paper at least, of adopting Western military theories and structures. On the other hand, it still has political officers monitoring and in some cases countermanding commanding officers. That indicates that political reliability is of greater concern than tactical effectiveness.

People like to point to the anti-ship ballistic missiles, but then fail to note that China is itself building an increasing number of very large carriers. Either carriers are obsolete or not; China seems to believe they are not and they have a better idea of how well their missiles work.

I imagine that the Russia-Ukraine war has been a big wake up since China still has an institutional memory of Soviet strategy and still uses many Soviet/Russian weapons. You are correct that amphibious warfare is quite difficult, especially if the target is bristling with missiles to sink the transports needed to bring in the invaders. China could likely blockade Taiwan, for a while at least, but actually invading is a problem only getting harder.