Re: Comments on the election

Post by Trevor »

Not a good thing to say.
Yeah, you have a point there; sorry.

gerald

Post by gerald »

Regarding the election and other things ---

An ancient Sumerian Proverb, " It does not matter who's fault it is, but how well YOU place the BLAME!

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Regarding the election and other things ---

An ancient Sumerian Proverb, " It does not matter who's fault it is, but how well YOU place the BLAME!
I think every culture's said that in some form. There's going to be plenty of finger-pointing and while my bias is leaking, I'd rather see Obama take at least some of the blame if there has to be a crash. I worry that he's going to put us in a weaker position facing China and it looks like he's going to.

Marshall Kane

Post by Marshall Kane »

Trevor wrote:
There's going to be plenty of finger-pointing and while my bias is leaking, I'd rather see Obama take at least some of the blame if there has to be a crash.
I hate to say it, but I've been thinking the same thing. If there's going to be a crash anyway a nice silver lining would be for irresponsible leftist policies to be soundly discredited.

gerald

Post by gerald »

Marshall Kane wrote:
Trevor wrote:
There's going to be plenty of finger-pointing and while my bias is leaking, I'd rather see Obama take at least some of the blame if there has to be a crash.
I hate to say it, but I've been thinking the same thing. If there's going to be a crash anyway a nice silver lining would be for irresponsible leftist policies to be soundly discredited.
I used the Sumerian quote to simply show that this approach has been used for a very long time, nothing new. As to who will get blamed, we shall see. Looks like the sheepel will be sheared and then turned into lamb chops.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

hate to say it, but I've been thinking the same thing. If there's going to be a crash anyway a nice silver lining would be for irresponsible leftist policies to be soundly discredited.
During the Great Depression, there were a lot of people who were saying that the free market doesn't work and the economy became heavily regulated. Now that we've got it and we're still heading for a crash, not to mention the 16 trillion in debt, people are starting to turn against that.

However, there is a danger. There's always a chance that we could end up destroying our system and turning it into a dictatorship. We forget that during the 1930's, both Fascism and Communism held a lot of appeal. The new deal was modeled to some extent off of Mussolini's programs and there were some who wanted us to become like Germany or Russia.

gerald

Post by gerald »

Trevor wrote:
hate to say it, but I've been thinking the same thing. If there's going to be a crash anyway a nice silver lining would be for irresponsible leftist policies to be soundly discredited.
During the Great Depression, there were a lot of people who were saying that the free market doesn't work and the economy became heavily regulated. Now that we've got it and we're still heading for a crash, not to mention the 16 trillion in debt, people are starting to turn against that.

However, there is a danger. There's always a chance that we could end up destroying our system and turning it into a dictatorship. We forget that during the 1930's, both Fascism and Communism held a lot of appeal. The new deal was modeled to some extent off of Mussolini's programs and there were some who wanted us to become like Germany or Russia.
Held a lot of appeal! --- like Henry Ford getting a medal from Hitler!

German diplomats award Henry Ford, center, with their nation's highest
decoration for foreigners, the Grand Cross of the German Eagle, in
July 1938.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/na ... cars30.htm

"You don't think of Hitler having a portrait of Henry Ford on his office wall in Munich."