Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
thomasglee

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by thomasglee »

John wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:47 pm
** 05-May-2022 World View: Making abortion illegal

In the early 2000s, I did a little mini-analysis of the
data on the Alan Guttmacher Institute web site. (The particular
page I used is no longer available.)

Some countries, especially Catholic countries, made abortion
completely illegal. Other countries, including the United
States, made abortion partially or completely legal.

When I examined the data, comparing these countries to each other, I
found that abortion is, on the average, as common and safe in
countries where abortion is illegal as in countries where it's legal.

My conclusion at that time was that making abortion illegal had no
practical effect, beyond its symbolic effect.
So making it legal had no practical effect either, beyond symbolic effect.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

thomasglee

Re: Supreme Court

Post by thomasglee »

Guest wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:04 am
spottybrowncow wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:27 pm
Guest wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:14 pm
No. it's just a fetus.
In some jurisdictions if someone assaults or murders a pregnant woman and the fetus dies, they can be charged for the murder of the fetus as well.

A woman decides if a fetus lives or dies, and if she decides it lives, a man may be responsible for supporting the child that results.
Shouldn't the man have some say in whether the fetus is allowed to survive or not?

The logical inconsistencies in this area are insurmountable.
If your wife or daughter was left pregnant after she were raped, would you force her to have the baby?

Just asking...
Someone very dear to me has two beautiful twin daughters from a rape and she loves them as much as she does her other child that came through more natural means. It happens more than you think.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

Post by Guest »

'The closet is bare': Aid to Ukraine depletes US weapons supply
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI93nkqZ1_w[/youtube]

JDav

Post by JDav »

Guest wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:33 pm
JDav wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:53 pm
Guest wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Think of it as selective surgery.
Which once again illustrates my original statement- that this country is not worth fighting and dying for. Evil permeates it to the core.
When America is defeated, where will you and your family go? Or will you just die in a concentration camp like most others?
I said that I wouldn’t fight for the US, but never said I wouldn’t defend and protect my family and friends. It’s an interesting question, though. I’ve shot animals before - killed and butchered a hog last weekend - but I’m not sure I could actually kill another human being; not for a lack of weaponry, either. I pray that I never have to find out, but expect one day I will.

If it was just me I would try to do as the early Christians did - avoid trouble when possible, submit when necessary. With my family, though, I‘d like to think I would die defending them, so that a concentration camp would be a remote option.

Either way, I do hope for eternal life after I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil. The happenings in this life are really just speed bumps to that. I pray I can accept God’s will for me with grace, humility, and great love for Him.

If you also are Christian you should have some understanding of what I’m saying. If you’re not, there’s not much point in explaining or debating it.

JDav

Post by JDav »

John wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:47 pm
** 05-May-2022 World View: Making abortion illegal

In the early 2000s, I did a little mini-analysis of the
data on the Alan Guttmacher Institute web site. (The particular
page I used is no longer available.)

Some countries, especially Catholic countries, made abortion
completely illegal. Other countries, including the United
States, made abortion partially or completely legal.

When I examined the data, comparing these countries to each other, I
found that abortion is, on the average, as common and safe in
countries where abortion is illegal as in countries where it's legal.

My conclusion at that time was that making abortion illegal had no
practical effect, beyond its symbolic effect.
John, did you know that the Alan Guttmacher Institue is a semi-autonomous division of Planned Parenthood, named after the one-time vice-president of the American Eugenics Society? I know you are conscientious about weighing the biases of sources you use, so that should be taken into account for your analysis, if it wasn't already. I can't speak to the nature of the research materials you acquired, but I expect that the AGI would tend to paint a rosier picture of the abortion industry than others might.

Post by Guest »

JDav wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:38 am
Guest wrote:
JDav wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:53 pm

Which once again illustrates my original statement- that this country is not worth fighting and dying for. Evil permeates it to the core.
When America is defeated, where will you and your family go? Or will you just die in a concentration camp like most others?
I said that I wouldn’t fight for the US, but never said I wouldn’t defend and protect my family and friends. It’s an interesting question, though. I’ve shot animals before - killed and butchered a hog last weekend - but I’m not sure I could actually kill another human being; not for a lack of weaponry, either. I pray that I never have to find out, but expect one day I will.

If it was just me I would try to do as the early Christians did - avoid trouble when possible, submit when necessary. With my family, though, I‘d like to think I would die defending them, so that a concentration camp would be a remote option.

Either way, I do hope for eternal life after I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil. The happenings in this life are really just speed bumps to that. I pray I can accept God’s will for me with grace, humility, and great love for Him.

If you also are Christian you should have some understanding of what I’m saying. If you’re not, there’s not much point in explaining or debating it.
If everyone felt the way you did, America would have already been defeated.

People in my family have suffered, been maimed in combat, lived the rest of their lives limping and gasping for air, and dying young, a few years after the war anyway. I think the members of my family that just died in combat were the lucky ones. I have been in combat too. I was blessed to get away in one piece physically, but my psyche is another thing all together. War is about sacrifice. If there are not enough people like me, this country will fall. You don't always get things your way.

I don't appreciate being talked down to.

If fact, this makes me really angry.

Good luck having it your own way.

Since you have not had to deal with any of this, I'll leave it at that.

JDav

Post by JDav »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Guest wrote:
No. it's just a fetus.
In some jurisdictions if someone assaults or murders a pregnant woman and the fetus dies, they can be charged for the murder of the fetus as well.

A woman decides if a fetus lives or dies, and if she decides it lives, a man may be responsible for supporting the child that results.
Shouldn't the man have some say in whether the fetus is allowed to survive or not?

Yes. That's the thing about most of the left's premises - logic and human nature must be suspended to accept them.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Guest wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:04 am
spottybrowncow wrote:
Guest wrote:
No. it's just a fetus.

If your wife or daughter was left pregnant after she were raped, would you force her to have the baby?

Just asking...
I wouldn't force her to do anything.

I might encourage her to have the baby, depending on the circumstances, but I don't know for sure unless it happens (God forbid).
There are questions for which no really good answers exist.

JDav

Post by JDav »

Guest wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:55 am
JDav wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:38 am
Guest wrote:

If everyone felt the way you did, America would have already been defeated.

People in my family have suffered, been maimed in combat, lived the rest of their lives limping and gasping for air, and dying young, a few years after the war anyway. I think the members of my family that just died in combat were the lucky ones. I have been in combat too. I was blessed to get away in one piece physically, but my psyche is another thing all together. War is about sacrifice. If there are not enough people like me, this country will fall. You don't always get things your way.

I don't appreciate being talked down to.

If fact, this makes me really angry.

Good luck having it your own way.

Since you have not had to deal with any of this, I'll leave it at that.
I don't believe I was talking down to anyone - just stating my beliefs. I appreciate the sacrifices you and your family have made, and will pray for you, your living, and deceased, family members. I have ancestors and children who have fought in wars. My point is that the idealized country they fought, bled and died for no longer exists. Even my son (see my previous post) realizes that the country he thought he was fighting for is not the country that he actually lives in. I still believe in the goodness of most Americans (and people in general), just not in her leaders and institutions.

Look at what's going on today - we're "leaking" that we provided intel so that Ukraine can kill Russian generals and sink Russian ships. Why would we do that, if not to purposely embroil the US in the war, so that more of your family members can be maimed and killed. All so they can gain more power and wealth. Your anger is misplaced, my friend.

John

Post by John »

** 06-May-2022 World View: AGI
JDav wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:53 am
> John, did you know that the Alan Guttmacher Institute is a
> semi-autonomous division of Planned Parenthood, named after the
> one-time vice-president of the American Eugenics Society? I know
> you are conscientious about weighing the biases of sources you
> use, so that should be taken into account for your analysis, if it
> wasn't already. I can't speak to the nature of the research