Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
DaKardii

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by DaKardii »

China’s Top Influencer Is Cancelled Over a Piece of Cake

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7be7e/ ... stick-king

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

thomasglee wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am
Yes, to clarify, I am talking about Korea (south Korea). Historically, Korea tends to side with China more than Japan. Historically, Korea is always caught in the middle and has to choose the side they believe will win. Japan has no chance against China, so I do believe it is highly likely that, if push came to shove, Korea would side with China.
Nominally, China would be the major power, autocracy and therefore the aggressor. If you want to side with the winner, you would go with China. Lately? China has economic, Covid, dam, demographic, real estate and debt problems, along with friction along just about every border they have. I'm not sure it would be a big win for them to start something right now, but they need a distraction from their many troubles really bad.

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

Bob Butler wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:58 pm
thomasglee wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 am
Yes, to clarify, I am talking about Korea (south Korea). Historically, Korea tends to side with China more than Japan. Historically, Korea is always caught in the middle and has to choose the side they believe will win. Japan has no chance against China, so I do believe it is highly likely that, if push came to shove, Korea would side with China.
Nominally, China would be the major power, autocracy and therefore the aggressor. If you want to side with the winner, you would go with China. Lately? China has economic, Covid, dam, demographic, real estate and debt problems, along with friction along just about every border they have. I'm not sure it would be a big win for them to start something right now, but they need a distraction from their many troubles really bad.
All of China's "issues" you cited are exactly why it is in their interest to "start something". Communists love their power (all authoritarian leaders love their power) and want to hold onto it.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

Perhaps it depends on when and how the US acts, the direction of their expedient alliance will be.
Thomas, did you find the S. Koreans cultural affinity stronger towards the west, China or a mixed bag?

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

FullMoon wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:52 pm
Perhaps it depends on when and how the US acts, the direction of their expedient alliance will be.
Thomas, did you find the S. Koreans cultural affinity stronger towards the west, China or a mixed bag?
Toward the west for sure. But then again, they love the money that comes with working with China. Culture appreciation can and does change quickly.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

thomasglee wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:15 pm
FullMoon wrote:
Toward the west for sure. But then again, they love the money that comes with working with China. Culture appreciation can and does change quickly.
Would you gamble they'd give up their current lifestyle for one more closely aligned with the Chinese as their brethren in the North? Those who survive that long to enjoy their insects and plagues, of course.

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

FullMoon wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:03 pm
thomasglee wrote:
FullMoon wrote:
Would you gamble they'd give up their current lifestyle for one more closely aligned with the Chinese as their brethren in the North? Those who survive that long to enjoy their insects and plagues, of course.
It depends on what security guarantees (promises) are made. Throughout history the emperor of Korea was emperor in Korea, yet when he would go to Peking, he was only recognized as a prince. I could see a similar situation lining up today. The leader of Korea would be the leader of Korea, but would know he is subservient to the leadership in China. I could see China forcing the unification of Korea under southern leadership. Or perhaps keeping Korea divided, but allowing SK to use NK’s cheap labor. We have to remember that Korea was always divided along clans. Even today in South Korea the country is divided in many ways and in many ways they still view their clan as more important than anything else. You have Kyungjoo Kim’s and Challado Lee’s for example. It’s hard to explain if you’re not familiar with the natural divisions that already and historically exist. We tend to look at Koreans as all being the same, but they’re not.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

UPDATED WED, JUN 8 20223:20 AM EDT
Ukraine retakes parts of Severodonetsk amid brutal street fighting; World Bank slashes global growth forecast
Natasha Turak
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/07/russia- ... dates.html

Russia’s failure to achieve major goals in Ukraine is ‘quite embarrassing,’ ex-U.S. official says
PUBLISHED TUE, JUN 7 202212:27 AM EDTUPDATED TUE, JUN 7 202212:36 AM EDT
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/07/russia- ... cial-.html

Russia to Send PT-76 Amphibious Light Tanks to Fight Against Ukraine
ukr.defense.news@gmail.com
June 7, 2022
https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_and_te ... -3208.html

Kremlin Declares "Land Bridge" Complete From Western Russia To Donbas To Crimea
Tyler Durden's Photo
BY TYLER DURDEN
TUESDAY, JUN 07, 2022 - 02:20 PM
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... bas-crimea

And halfway around the world...
Is this the stupidest thing the UN has ever done
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/0 ... ever-done/ and

US & S.Korean Jets In Large 'Show Of Force' As White House Warns Kim Against Nuclear Test
Tyler Durden's Photo
BY TYLER DURDEN
TUESDAY, JUN 07, 2022 - 10:20 AM
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... clear-test
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Seoul Guest

Post by Seoul Guest »

thomasglee wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:48 pm
FullMoon wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:03 pm
thomasglee wrote:

It depends on what security guarantees (promises) are made. Throughout history the emperor of Korea was emperor in Korea, yet when he would go to Peking, he was only recognized as a prince. I could see a similar situation lining up today. The leader of Korea would be the leader of Korea, but would know he is subservient to the leadership in China. I could see China forcing the unification of Korea under southern leadership. Or perhaps keeping Korea divided, but allowing SK to use NK’s cheap labor. We have to remember that Korea was always divided along clans. Even today in South Korea the country is divided in many ways and in many ways they still view their clan as more important than anything else. You have Kyungjoo Kim’s and Challado Lee’s for example. It’s hard to explain if you’re not familiar with the natural divisions that already and historically exist. We tend to look at Koreans as all being the same, but they’re not.
I grew up in Korea and after a long sojourn abroad, I now live in Korea again.

Thomas, you do not know Korean history or understand the culture.

Korea's king became an Emperor in the 1890s to breakaway from China and stop paying tribute to the Chinese Emperor. The Korean emperor was never treated as a prince when he visited Beijing.

You see China and both Koreas doing things that will never happen. I realize that you consider yourself "an expert" on Korea, but you are not.

Korea will not join forces with the CCP and fight japan. That would mean becoming part of China forever. Koreans hate the Chinese and look down on them as backward and dirty country hicks. There are other dimensions to any potential Korean-Chinese alliance which you have obviously not considered. South Korea will side never against America. And, as hard as it may be for you to believe, Japan would be chosen over China because it is a liberal democracy. Koreans have fought hard to become a democracy, do you think South Koreans would throw all that away to sell a few more cars or smartphones?

Chinese are buying thousands of properties across South Korea and driving up prices here even further (like the Russians in London). Chinese often behave poorly in public and often resort to violence against South Koreans, including murder (in recent high profile cases). Koreans will not take on the Chinese yoke again.

I find your analysis of Asia to be deeply flawed and fantastical.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Thank you, Seoul Guest, that insight was informative and much appreciated.