Religion / End Times

Topics related to theology.
Cool Breeze

Re: Religion / End Times

Post by Cool Breeze »

Navi,

How did you get interested in physical preparations for a crisis (or more), when your faith is so impactful on things, especially your life and where you are headed? Does it have to do with a CLDS America/USA pedestal (I've noticed this) or just an interest of yours?

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

I believe that either things are random (man evolving through evolution by "chance") or there is a guiding hand. Since my life has not been random, but has had NUMEROUS twists that are NOT random, I personally know there is a guiding hand.

As a lifelong student of history I also know that history is not random. Too many miraculous, just in time events. So I see a guiding hand, a grand designer of history.

To me, personally, I have studied history and what my faith teaches about it, and find that they are congruent. They mesh with each other and explain to me the big picture of what has happened, what is going on, and, in reference to your question, what is (in rough terms) about to happen.

I prefer to be prepared for what is coming, rather than just live in the moment and let the future "take care of itself" as so many do.

However, I do need to point out that my specific "predictions" on this site are my own personal interpretation of what will happen next.

All the Church of Jesus Christ teaches is that Christ will come again, and that his coming will be preceded by time of great trials. There will be wars, famine, pestilence, and natural disasters, the likes of which will surpass what has happened in the past.

So while I try hard to prepare physically, the Church of Jesus Christ teaches that the most important thing is to find the truth, gain a testimony of it, and to let that testimony be an anchor in the troubling times to come. I have worked to follow this as well, and believe that both are important.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Thank you for sharing your beliefs with us, Navigator. I enjoyed reading your posts.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:17 am
Thank you for sharing your beliefs with us, Navigator. I enjoyed reading your posts.
Thank you. There is a LOT of misinformation about what my Church believes in, and its practices. So thanks to all that allowed me to explain.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Navigator wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:10 pm
I believe that either things are random (man evolving through evolution by "chance") or there is a guiding hand. Since my life has not been random, but has had NUMEROUS twists that are NOT random, I personally know there is a guiding hand.

As a lifelong student of history I also know that history is not random. Too many miraculous, just in time events. So I see a guiding hand, a grand designer of history.

To me, personally, I have studied history and what my faith teaches about it, and find that they are congruent. They mesh with each other and explain to me the big picture of what has happened, what is going on, and, in reference to your question, what is (in rough terms) about to happen.

I prefer to be prepared for what is coming, rather than just live in the moment and let the future "take care of itself" as so many do.

However, I do need to point out that my specific "predictions" on this site are my own personal interpretation of what will happen next.

All the Church of Jesus Christ teaches is that Christ will come again, and that his coming will be preceded by time of great trials. There will be wars, famine, pestilence, and natural disasters, the likes of which will surpass what has happened in the past.

So while I try hard to prepare physically, the Church of Jesus Christ teaches that the most important thing is to find the truth, gain a testimony of it, and to let that testimony be an anchor in the troubling times to come. I have worked to follow this as well, and believe that both are important.
Thanks for the response. Nicely stated.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Are you aware of (the heresy) of Chiliasm? I wonder if you fit into this group, but wanted to ask you or allow you to explain your position.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Why do you say this is a heresy? Is anything that does not fit your own personal beliefs a "heresy"?

I believe in allowing all to believe whatever they want. I firmly believe in freedom of religion and freedom of conscience (freedom of belief).

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Navigator wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:24 pm
Why do you say this is a heresy? Is anything that does not fit your own personal beliefs a "heresy"?

I believe in allowing all to believe whatever they want. I firmly believe in freedom of religion and freedom of conscience (freedom of belief).
So do I, but the original church has called it a heresy, and it is. That's the reason I worded the question that way.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

I apologize for being snappy, but the way you worded the question was akin to:

"Do you believe in the idiotic and completely false Theory X?"

The way such a question is worded, it comes across as insulting and accusatory.

What you should have done is just asked, "Do you believe in Chiliasm?". You could have stated later that you think its heretical.

Again, sorry for getting my dander up, but I think people who visit this forum are actually looking for an exchange of ideas, rather than the normal name calling and vitriol so common to other boards.

I will answer the reworded question ("Do you believe in Chiliasm?") tomorrow when I have time to type it up.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Thank you. The important point about the church and its decisions at councils is critical, and tough for restorationists (like the tradition you come from) to deal with, because it begs the question of "authority". For example, by what authority would you say the church of LDS has more credibility than the original church? Let's call it the orthodox church here for obvious reasons, but you could put any other name in there just as a general example.

Any johnny come lately can say everyone before was wrong, the issue becomes how believable or to what degree you should take them seriously, given what they propose is the reason their elders/saints/position on things are more reliable. A quick example of this since we are coming up to the feast day of St. Nicholas would be, why would I trust Joseph Smith more than St. Nicholas? It's a to-the-point proxy.