Gear Advice

Read Navigator's book, How To Prepare For The Coming Storms,
for valuable detailed information on what what's coming.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/coming-storms-preparation
Navigator

Re: Night Vision - ultimate

Post by Navigator »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:07 pm
Now I admit this is "over the top," but this is so cool I had to share it. I asked someone who would know about the PVS-14, he said they are good, but this is the current best:

https://tnvc.com/shop/l3harris-bnvd-an-pvs-31a-2376fom/

Only catch is $14K and several month wait.
Amazingly, these (and PVS14) work on a single AA battery, rechargeables cheap and plentiful.
This is definitely high grade military equipment, and since they sell it to DoD, it is appropriately priced.

tim

Re: Night Vision - ultimate

Post by tim »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:07 pm
Now I admit this is "over the top," but this is so cool I had to share it. I asked someone who would know about the PVS-14, he said they are good, but this is the current best:

https://tnvc.com/shop/l3harris-bnvd-an-pvs-31a-2376fom/

Only catch is $14K and several month wait.
Amazingly, these (and PVS14) work on a single AA battery, rechargeables cheap and plentiful.
You don't need a bino setup unless you plan on using a vehicle in the dark.

A monocular can be had for around $3000 or so and is more then enough for most applications.
“Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; - Exodus 20:5

spottybrowncow

Re: Gear Advice

Post by spottybrowncow »

tim wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 am

One great way to get ideas for gear would be to read the novel One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-Joh ... 0765327252

So I ordered this book Tim recommended, and just finished it.

The good - it was so engaging, I literally couldn't put it down. I read it in two nights, but if I didn't have to get up and work, I would have stayed up late and finished it the first night.

The bad - it is without question the most depressing thing I have ever read.

However, on the whole, I agree that anyone interested enough to be reading these "Coming Storms" threads should probably read this book. After all, knowledge is power, even if the knowledge is very unpleasant.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:31 pm
tim wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 am

One great way to get ideas for gear would be to read the novel One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-Joh ... 0765327252

So I ordered this book Tim recommended, and just finished it.

The good - it was so engaging, I literally couldn't put it down. I read it in two nights, but if I didn't have to get up and work, I would have stayed up late and finished it the first night.

The bad - it is without question the most depressing thing I have ever read.

However, on the whole, I agree that anyone interested enough to be reading these "Coming Storms" threads should probably read this book. After all, knowledge is power, even if the knowledge is very unpleasant.
The reviews of that book were unbelievably entertaining, especially the multitude of 1 star ratings. I laughed reading them, seriously, it was high entertainment.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

The 1-star reviews were funny, clearly these people thought they were getting the next "Iliad and Odyssey," I don't know how they got misled to this book. The 75% who gave it 5-star reviews got the point.

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:19 am
The 1-star reviews were funny, clearly these people thought they were getting the next "Iliad and Odyssey," I don't know how they got misled to this book. The 75% who gave it 5-star reviews got the point.
Thanks for the update 👍. I have the book but I'll approach it with caution. It's difficult enough with daily news keeping a cheerful demeanor. Preparations are lots of work for the purpose of expecting essentially a bad outcome in society. It can get hard to deal with.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Does anyone have recommendations for Faraday bags / boxes / containers? Just enough to hold portable HAM radio, notebook computer, maybe small power station for solar panels. I suspect wrapping a bubble wrap envelope or a box carefully in tin foil would do the trick, but I wondered if anyone had experience with anything ready-made.

Post by Guest »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:34 pm
Does anyone have recommendations for Faraday bags / boxes / containers? Just enough to hold portable HAM radio, notebook computer, maybe small power station for solar panels. I suspect wrapping a bubble wrap envelope or a box carefully in tin foil would do the trick, but I wondered if anyone had experience with anything ready-made.
A prepper interviewed by James Howard Kunstler on his podcast (whose name escapes me now) said that a metal garbage can could work as a Faraday cage. I don't know if that is true, but I thought I would mention it.

spottybrowncow

Post by spottybrowncow »

Thanks, that's intriguing. With proper lining, and maybe some extra tin foil around the rim, I can see how that might be a great solution.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

spottybrowncow wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:34 pm
This is what I have done myself. I have a very large garbage can, lined with insulation, with a smaller can inside it that holds my stuff. I have the lids on both cans.

You can check the quality of the emp "seal" by putting a portable radio inside, tuned to a strong station. If the radio looses the signal (and all you can hear from the outside is static), then your setup is working.

I also have a number of emp bags that I have put backup computers and backup hard drives in. They can also be similarly tested.