Higgenbotham's Dark Age Hovel

Higgenbotham

Re: Higgenbotham's Dark Age Hovel

Post by Higgenbotham »

The references to killing reminded me that there was a series of posts from years ago where I didn't complete my thoughts.

These are the posts:
Higgenbotham wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:49 pm
Reality Check wrote:
Higgenbotham wrote:Reminds me, I rented to a man years ago who was of the Hero generation and had served in the Army for 20 years, including WWII. He was dying and died in my house. He told me a lot about his experiences. Two things I remember. One, he told me they killed their own soldiers that they deemed useless and a threat to the group (unable to pull their weight). Two, if a guy was injured real bad instead of trying to save him they would sometimes finish him off with a bullet.
Your point ?
Not sure I can draw any conclusions beyond that.

One conclusion could be that war is a time when people deemed to be less fit are culled (even by their own peer group who would probably know best who can carry their weight).

But another conclusion could be that natural killers survive and spread their genes after the war and that's why killing never stops.

Mainly the point was that I was told this happened from someone who I deemed to be a reliable source because some of what he told me I was able to check and it was true. And I think what he said would surprise a lot of people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/us/8- ... wanted=all

"Don't forget to turn off the water heater."
Higgenbotham wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:50 pm
Reality Check wrote:I doubt you would have been "able to check" the part of the story that you believe "would surprise a lot of people".
I've never seen or heard any other accounts of Americans killing their fellow soldiers during World War 2. Though I had read some of the Soviets doing so, I thought. A little digging brought this up:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_soviet_ge ... n_soldiers

Now as far as what I was able to check from this guy. He said he survived the Battle of Osan (Korea) where he was one of seven American troops who came out alive. Some years later, he opened up a locked trunk and took out a Certificate of Valor issued by the Army describing the facts as he had told me which of course my inclination was not to believe the story when I heard it. War stories are like big fish stories as far as I'm concerned. The second thing he told me as that he transported enemy soldiers and later I saw some evidence of that but don't remember what it was. The third thing he told me was that after the war he cleaned mines off the beach in Okinawa and got some bad sunburns. Later, when he had surgery on his forehead for skin cancer that reminded me of his story and the fact that it might be true. He didn't stay at my house; he rented a separate house and I talked to him maybe a couple hours per month over a period of 10 years.
Higgenbotham wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:03 pm
He married a woman 32 years younger than him after he had his stroke. She got his military benefits when he died and took care of him until he died. He bought her a trailer and she lived in a trailer park a couple miles away. So, yeah, he was lonely and instead of mailing me the rent check he liked for me to come over and talk for awhile. I never thought about it at the time but sitting around partly immobilized and going over all those horrors in your mind would be a hell of a way to go.

This guy was very insistent that God didn't exist. This was to the extent that he sought people out who also believed that God didn't exist and arranged for me to meet them. His favorite way to express that was, "When you're dead, you're dead." Also, more than once, about his experiences on the battlefield, he said, "I'd see a head laying over here, an arm laying over there, and I would think to myself how can there be a God?" I think he believed and repeatedly articulated that because he had killed people.

He had also raped his 12 and 13 year old stepdaughters. When he was arrested, he called me from jail and asked me to bail him out. He ended up being convicted and was in jail for a few months, then returned to the house. He saw nothing wrong with raping the girls (the Chinese had supplied him with underage girls during the war) and he constantly complained about what a bitch his PO was and even said once he could kill one of the girls for opening her mouth.

So, people like this exist, I've met a few of them, and they will be quite active if law and order break down. Some people may wish to believe they don't exist, but wishing it isn't so doesn't change the fact that it is.

In addition to his favorite phrases about God not existing, he also like to say, "Revenge, how sweet it is!"
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:47 am
But another conclusion could be that natural killers survive and spread their genes after the war and that's why killing never stops.

He had 13 kids. Ugh.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Speaking of what people refuse to talk about or don't want to believe, as mentioned recently, I was a landlord in a low income area during the 1980s and 1990s (Beloit, Wisconsin). When I moved 70 miles northeast from there to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it was like an entirely different world. Right away, in my neighborhood, I met a guy from Green Bay who had just started working for the phone company and, because he was new, was assigned to the worst area of Milwaukee. When we would get home from work, he would tell me about things he had seen that day and I, in turn, would tell him about things I had seen that were similar. One evening, he confided in me that I was the only person he could talk to about this because nobody else, not even his girlfriend or his family, wanted to hear about it. He didn't say they didn't believe it, just that they didn't want to hear it.

Having those discussions prompted me to repeat some of them to a friend at work who, like most white people in America, came from a sheltered background. His response was that he didn't believe any of it. I thought he was joking. He wanted to hear more, but he would always conclude that he didn't believe it. Finally, I came to the conclusion that he really didn't believe what I was telling him and stopped talking about it. With the advent of the Internet, however, some of it could finally be verified. The story that could be verified most conclusively was about a girl I had met in one of the neighborhoods where I had owned a house. She was homeless and bounced from house to house. One of the places she stayed at was owned by a retired teacher across the street from one of my rentals. Her parents had named her Marijuana Pepsi Jackson during the hazy lazy 1960s protests and, contrary to what her name might suggest, she had made high honor roll every time I looked through the list in the paper. The reason I looked at things like that in the paper was so that when prospective tenants came to one of my rentals, I would know what to ask. For example, if someone with the last name of Jackson came by, I might ask if they have a daughter named Marijuana Pepsi, or, if applicable, whether they were the person who had gotten caught shoplifting from K-Mart. When I showed him what was on the Internet he said, well, yeah, that might be true but I still don't believe all that other stuff.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:14 pm
A Dark Age (which the world is now irreversibly entering into)...

Michigan was already in a dark age when I was there in 1979. Wisconsin entered a dark age in the mid 1990s and most of the rest of the upper midwest probably did around that time. Oregon and Washington probably entered a dark age in 2020. California is in a dark age but it's harder to guess when it happened. I've lived in Texas since 2005. Texas still hasn't entered a dark age.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:05 pm
I'll discuss the aspects of day care that don't relate to this later.
Front and center to this day care company's stated philosophy was that bullying and misbehavior would not be tolerated. But as I related earlier, due to the "tripledemic" and earlier covid, the school was not filled, so that presented a problem and I think they were letting some of these goals slip so that they could at least break even. I'm sympathetic to that.

Parents were allowed to enter the building at any time and observe what was going on. The class my kid was in was 2 year olds. This was in northwest Austin, Texas in an area where there are some apartment complexes, which I live in, and the owner occupied homes in the area are pretty expensive. I think it would be reasonable to say with the exception of the apartments, this area is upper middle class and above. The cost was $1163 per month for 3 days per week. There were other plans available.

The first week or so my daughter was in this day care, I watched 3 of these kids attack another child. They would take turns running toward the child and yelling at him as they got close. Finally, one girl ran toward him and smashed a toy truck in his face. Most notable about this was as I was watching the staff did nothing and that even though the kids saw me watching them, this did not deter their behavior one iota. Another time I saw a boy grab another boy by the throat. He then let go and grabbed him by the throat a second time. Same thing. The staff did nothing and the kid was not deterred. I walked over to one of the staff and yelled, "HEY, DID YOU SEE THAT?" She just looked at me and went over and separated the bully from the rest of the kids. Since my kid was half a head taller than the largest of these runts, I wasn't worried about her in the short term but I didn't want her to think that any of this was normal. She didn't seem to, as luckily she didn't become aggressive and said she didn't like the school or any of the kids in it and that didn't change.

My general observation was that about half of these kids are savages and, if what I saw is representative, day care is socializing kids to engage in increased bullying in school and in the workplace after that.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

New worry for parents: Study by Berkeley science institute finds toxic substances in preschool carpets

The director of Step One Preschool replaced rugs after a study by the Green Science Policy Institute found worrisome chemicals in the carpets of that school and 17 others.

By Brett Simpson
Nov. 21, 2019, 2:03 p.m.

Sue Britson, the executive director of Step One Preschool, has replaced the rugs that were found to have PFAS.

As director of Step One Preschool on Spruce Street in Berkeley, Sue Britson tries to track all the toxics and pollutants to which her three to five-year-old charges might be exposed.

She keeps close tabs on the cleaning products the school uses to scour tables, floors, and chairs and to wash dishes and pans. She looks for the least-toxic paints and glues. Pesticides? Not used in the garden. Snacks? Preferably organic.

For up to $2,800 a month, families with children at Step One expect the best.

But in recent months, Britson has become aware of a new unexpected danger — in carpets.

A study that examined 18 preschools in the Bay Area found traces of per- and poly-flouroalkyl substances, or PFAS, in almost all of the preschools’ carpets. While 18 preschools participated in the study, Step One was the only school willing to make its participation public.

“Read a list of top ten questions to ask a preschool, and you’ll never see ‘what’s in the carpets?’” said Britson. “It wasn’t on any of our radars.”

PFAS are a class of manmade chemical compounds first developed in the 1950s by DuPont as the non-stick in Teflon pans. Today, they’re used in countless industrial and consumer products for their stain-resistant, grease-resistant, and flame-retardant properties. But research shows that long-term exposure to high levels of PFAS can be toxic, and still-developing children are especially at risk. This year, the state of California is tightening restrictions on PFAS in drinking water and considering a measure to ban sales of PFAS-treated carpets. But absent state or federal regulation, the sources of PFAS exposure are difficult to track, and not widely understood.

“The health risks for PFAS exposure are clear,” said Tom Bruton, senior scientist at the non-profit Green Science Policy Institute, whose scientists conducted the study along with others at the University of Indiana. “We wanted to contribute to a broader understanding of one source in our homes.”

Hundreds of laboratory studies link PFAS exposure to adverse health outcomes. Laboratory animals exposed to several classes of PFAS are more likely to develop liver, thyroid and pancreatic diseases, as well as changes in hormone levels, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

Multiple human epidemiological studies appear to corroborate those findings. The largest and most well-known of these followed a 2003 class-action lawsuit against the chemical manufacturer DuPont. After a West Virginia community faced decades of PFAS exposure in their drinking water from a DuPont plant, they received a multimillion-dollar settlement that they used to fund a health study on themselves.

The resulting 2013 C8 Study, carried out by researchers at Emory University, Brown University, and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, collected blood samples from over 69,000 residents living in the area around the plant over the course of eight years. Their findings linked PFAS exposure to diseases like pregnancy-induced hypertension, high cholesterol, ulcerative colitis, and testicular and kidney cancer.
https://www.berkeleyside.org/2019/11/21 ... ol-carpets

When we initially visited the day care, I noticed what appeared to be artificial grass in the play area in back. I asked the director if it was artificial grass and she said yes. I didn't say any more. That also typically contains PFAS. Like this Step One day care, they put a high priority on protecting the children. But it's hard for companies to make good and correct decisions with all the other pressing issues they are dealing with.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

The FBI had warned of reports of threats to electricity infrastructure by people espousing racially or ethnically motivated extremist ideology “to create civil disorder and inspire further violence,” the agency said in a November 22 bulletin sent to private industry.
Anti-government groups in the past two years began using online forums to urge followers to attack critical infrastructure, including the power grid. They have posted documents and even instructions outlining vulnerabilities and suggesting the use of high-powered rifles.

One 14-page guide obtained by CNN cited as an example the 2013 sniper attack on a high voltage substation at the edge of Silicon Valley that destroyed 17 transformers and cost Pacific Gas and Electric $15 million in repairs.

The caliber of the bullets in that California incident is different from those used in North Carolina, a law enforcement source told CNN.

But whoever attacked the North Carolina substations “knew exactly what they were doing,” Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields has said.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/08/us/power ... index.html

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:47 am
Now as far as what I was able to check from this guy. He said he survived the Battle of Osan (Korea) where he was one of seven American troops who came out alive. Some years later, he opened up a locked trunk and took out a Certificate of Valor issued by the Army describing the facts as he had told me which of course my inclination was not to believe the story when I heard it.
Along with the rest of the outfit composed of 406 infantrymen of the 1st Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment, Task Force Smith, he landed at Pusan, Korea on 1 July 1950 and they were joined by 134 artillerymen of the 52nd Field Battalion near Pyongtaek on 4 July. Their job? To delay the main body of the enemy driving into South Korea. They faced an estimated 20,000 enemy troops near Osan on 5 July. Before he was rotated out a year later he had been wounded 3 times and decorated many more. A special Certificate of Valor which was awarded in June 1952, to him and the few other survivors, best describes their success when it ways, With ammunition almost spent and its position in imminent danger of being completely surrounded, a hazardous but masterly withdrawal was effected. Rushed forward to effect this massive onslaught alone, the intrepidity and skill of these defenders of the ground can best be gauged by their outstanding success in stemming the enemy advance during this very critical period.
https://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/21 ... _Looking=4

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

When you say state X "entered a dark age in 19--" what do you mean?

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:46 am
When you say state X "entered a dark age in 19--" what do you mean?
Government at the state level is broken beyond repair and can't be fixed until it completely collapses and is replaced by something else.