Higgenbotham's Dark Age Hovel

Higgenbotham

Re: Higgenbotham's Dark Age Hovel

Post by Higgenbotham »

Chip wars: Huge Taiwan-based semiconductor maker moving most advanced manufacturing to US

by Wayne Chang and Diksha Madhok, CNN — November 21, 2022 .

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company plans to bring its most advanced technology to Arizona, the founder of the chip giant said Monday.

TSMC’s plans come as tensions between Washington and Beijing are rising over chips, with President Joe Biden imposing a sweeping set of controls on the sale of advanced chips and chip-making equipment to Chinese firms.

Taiwan, a self-governing democracy that the Chinese Communist Party claims as its own territory despite having never controlled it, has also faced growing military aggression from Beijing in recent months — throwing a spotlight on the critical role the island plays in the global chipmaking industry.

TSMC accounts for an estimated 90% of the world’s super-advanced computer chips, supplying tech giants including Apple and Qualcomm.

“Chips are very important products,” TSMC’s founder Morris Chang said Monday at a press briefing in Taipei. “It seems that people are only starting to realize this recently, and as a result, lots of people out there are envious of Taiwan’s chip manufacturing.”

Chang has retired but remains an influential force within the industry. He was briefing reporters after returning to Taipei from Bangkok, where he was representing Taiwan at the meeting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) leaders.

At APEC, Chang discussed the semiconductor industry with Vice President Kamala Harris and also met with Chinese President Xi Jinping. Harris welcomed TSMC’s investment in Arizona, he said.

Super-advanced semiconductor chips — like the ones produced by TSMC — are an indispensable part of everything from smartphones to washing machines. They are also difficult to make because of the high cost of development and the level of knowledge required, meaning much of the production is concentrated in just a handful of suppliers.

Advances in chip manufacturing require etching ever-smaller transistors on to silicon wafers. Chang said its plant in Arizona will produce 3-nanometer chips, TSMC’s most advanced technology.

In 2020, the company had already committed at least $12 billion to build its first facility in Arizona. At the time, the tech giant had said that the facility will “utilize TSMC’s 5-nanometer technology for semiconductor wafer fabrication” and “create over 1,600 high-tech professional jobs directly.” Production is expected to begin in 2024.

“I not only believe, but know for a fact that the cost of manufacturing chips in the US will be at least 55% higher than in Taiwan,” Chang had said at a press meeting on Saturday on the sidelines of APEC.

“But that does not mitigate against moving some capacity to the US. The chip manufacturing process we moved over is the most advanced of any company in the US, and that is very important to the US.”
https://wraltechwire.com/2022/11/21/chi ... ing-to-us/

For decades and decades, the idea was to move manufacturing to the cheapest and most efficient locations to keep everything going. Now, indeed, this is moving backwards.

With the US cost structure not being competitive, once again, the choice has been made to use debt to fill the hole. This can't work over the long haul because it makes the US cost structure even more uncompetitive.

I would have to agree that if China is going to try to take Taiwan the best of two very bad choices is to make the choice that was made and go ahead and subsidize the foreign chip makers (and a few domestic ones like Micron as well). The US had over a decade to read the writing on the wall and go about it in the right fundamental way and it failed to do so.

The other question is whether there is time to get it all up and running here in the US and whether the moves will spark China to invade sooner rather than later.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Post by Guest »

https://twitter.com/ppv_tahoe?ref_src=t ... -democrats

Meanwhile, in one of the Blue States...

Post by Guest »

NYC Converts Hotels To Shelters To Accommodate Expected Influx Of Illegal Immigrants
The historic Roosevelt Hotel in midtown Manhattan—shuttered three years ago—is being reopened to accommodate an anticipated influx of illegal immigrants just as other New York City hotels are being converted to emergency shelters.

aeden

Post by aeden »

Market will stay insane longer than you will stay solvent.
No need to post the date we closed book4 Thu May 04, 2023 10:05 pm
Early is wrong as we discussed.

Mid-range rally on leveraged stocks reading in our unwarranted opinion.
Only one by one do they do they regain their sanity.
The red eyed bull is a mess as Freidman was ignored to the structural inflation
of the round up to the metropolis ghettos. The fixed cost analysis will be ignored
and to date has. Misery index data is ignored as fast as the dimmcrat head was kicked in to the fsa
blow outs.

Economist Arthur Okun created the misery index in the 1970s. The view it relays can be interesting to policy makers dialectics seen.

Lorentzian Distance Classifier Machine Learning classification algorithm with Lux algo for non woke input sweeps.

Hugo

Post by Hugo »

What is the chance of America breaking up along racial lines? At this point it is a question of survival. One of my relatives was a teacher (for over 20 years) and had her back broken in class by an unruly "teenager" in the 1990s. She never fully recovered. My cousin (a younger one) taught at a public school for one semester in North Carolina and bailed. She now teaches at a private school in a wealthy part of Asia. Very few discipline problems. Not perfect, but she doesn't worry about having her back broken by a "teenager".

aeden

Post by aeden »

Households are not burdened by these balances.
As a percent of disposable income, credit card balances and “other” consumer debt combined in Q1 dipped to 7.6%, after two years of increases from the historic low during the pandemic (disposable income = income from all sources minus taxes and social insurance payments).
https://wolfstreet.com/2023/05/15/house ... llections/

Dents demographics. Spending habits of cohort groups shift. As it was put clearly the brits need to understand what Brexit meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_HO3unMD8E&t=147s They want to break it.
As we warned the normal consumers are digging on now on spending. Swamp are retarded spending cows of Bashan with our future.

The island gap of assets prices appear to be valid. No date needed here and yea the old adage deceived.
We moved some to the cash and 90day tbills are rolling off. If it has issues in august no problem not chasing goblins and swamp retards.
As it was put, they are building centers for the sticky wage invasion. Hedge accordingly. We started in 2019 with dirt. We call horseshit of
percentage's to spending. The cartoon I keep lighting them and he keeps a blowing them out.
The lawless Alinsky democrats are another root cause republicans will not deal with either.
Last edited by aeden on Fri May 19, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

aeden wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:24 pm
Market will stay insane longer than you will stay solvent.
Higgenbotham wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm
aedens wrote:I have noted analyst wrecking ball movements in some plays and ankle deep a few later after the beehive smashes. Nothing new under the sun on those cabal perps.
Is this what you mean?
BEEHIVE SMASH.gif
aedens wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 pm
Indeed yes H
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:44 pm
One thing that can be said about this year is that it is highly likely there will be more corruption and fraud this year than there was last year. In playing the lottery economy, it is a good assumption that anything you are seeing in front of you will display more corruption and fraud than your recent experience. For example, if you are trading stocks as I have been, if stocks that you traded were manipulated last year, assume that this year there will be even greater degrees of manipulation and fraud.
Higgenbotham wrote: Summary of Demarest's Interview
There are counterproductive patterns leaders almost always try as society nears collapse.
Leaders do more of and intensify what they do; leaders do short term thinking, fast reactions and fast solutions trying to hold onto power.
Bigger beehive smashes.

Lottery economy update coming soon.

aeden

Post by aeden »

Appreciate your candor and unrelenting eye to affairs.
CME will escape the madness in a click of a mouse in zone c
http://heyjackass.com/
The rest will descend into phase four as already written.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Someone had been criticizing Corbett in the News Thread awhile ago. I had been recollecting the discussions Aaron Russo had years ago about the North American Union, the Amero, the NAFTA superhighway, Nick Rockefeller, the chip, etc, which some of this was briefly mentioned in these pages. Russo died shortly thereafter as those who have been following all this stuff for decades know. I was looking to learn more about Nick Rockefeller and Corbett had a program covering that. This was the first I'd listened to Corbett and his program was some years after that whole thing died down and most forgot about it. I found Corbett to have a good grasp of the issues that I heard him discuss. On Nick Rockefeller he said at best he was a minor player in the Rockefeller family and not part of the main family tree. He said he didn't doubt that Nick could have said the things he said to Russo but whether it had real relevance was hard to say. All of that wasn't of great interest as far as being worth posting here, but it was what came next.

Next, there was some discussion about the WEF. The listener asked whether what the WEF puts in front of the public is for general consumption, to perhaps have people focusing "over here" when in reality they should be focusing "over there". Something to that effect. He then went on to what I consider to be the crux of the thing, which was to quote something Carl Rove had said, which paraphrasing, was that people spend a lot of time observing "discernable reality" and that this is an empire whereby those who have their fingers on the controls are changing the reality with the next moves they make, rendering the current "discernible reality" sort of irrelevant.

That gets back to a couple of subjects recently discussed here.

First is the beehive smashes. I would say that, yes, the cabal perps, as aeden referred to them, do in my estimation have the ability to temporarily move the S&P over 4200, as just happened, provided it can be set up to do that. So, while my discernible reality a few weeks ago was that they were unable to do it at that time, they were one or two bank failures away from providing the conditions whereby the line could be moved, and that is what can be called manipulation and fraud.

Second is the potential component shortages. Semiconductors are what was being discussed in particular. It may be that in 2018 companies like Samsung and Taiwan Semiconductor saw no need to move facilities out of Asia, seeing as it's 55% more costly to produce in the US. The discernible reality of 2018 may have had them unwilling to do it at that time; however, the new reality that appeared later caused them to change their minds and go along with that idea, and there was obviously considerable manipulation involved to create that new reality. Like I said, it'll be interesting to see how China responds to that.