Tom Mazanec's Topic

As requested, this sub-forum is for partying, fun, gossip, conundrums, flirting, comedy, tragedy, or whatever.
Cool Breeze

Re: Tom Mazanec's Topic

Post by Cool Breeze »

Let Tom decide to whom I was referring to, obviously it is hard for John sometimes to read the plain statements I make - why should I have to explain a direct comment?

As for John's continued Butler comments and comparison, it is a major insult but I'm not that worried because I have seen recently many posters that enjoy the back and forth that myself, Higgy, Vince, and even Aeden and John occasionally, have. They are very edified as a result, and have commented so.

In what way am I like Butler? No one even pays attention to him anymore, because he makes no sense and actually calls people like us racists. He is the typical unhinged leftist. Xenakis should be ashamed of himself for putting anyone like Tom or me in that category. The guy doesn't even make sense.

Vince isn't unhinged. Higgy even knows that I know what I'm talking about on all of these levels, especially the economic ones, which John is less well versed in. If you look quite closely, I make no certain predictions about the turning or John's generational specialty at all. Yet I have shown in solid posts over and over a high level understanding of the markets, inflation, and the tricks people try to use. Most of the old guy responses aren't based on any reasoninng, economic or otherwise, they are always emotional attacks or simple buzzwords, stupid little words like "bubble." As if we should just go home with our ball like they want to after saying a single word.

John

Post by John »

** 20-May-2021 World View: Caring
Tom Mazanec wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:22 pm
> Of course you don't care about all the worry you put people (like
> me) who care about you thru.
Hmmmm. That has the ring of sincerity to it. Even if it's true, you
shouldn't have done what you did. Just because you "care about"
someone whom you've never met, that doesn't give you the right to
barge into his life and call the police with nonsense. If you had
done that to a woman, you might have charges filed against you.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

John wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:14 pm
** 19-May-2021 World View: Dr. Breeze's jokes
Cool Breeze wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:22 pm
> The truth about velocity is that no one "understands" it, which is
> why I know that you don't --> no one does.
Is this your idea of a joke? First you said that I don't understand
velocity, and you told me to ask a question, so I asked you why.
Instead of explaining why, you just say that no one "understands"
velocity. So you purposely evaded the question. One thing is
certain: You don't understand velocity, and don't have a clue what
you're talking about.
John wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:18 pm
That's odd for someone like you who thinks you're the smartest person
in the room on every topic but, as it turns out, not on any topic.
John wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:14 pm
You're not in this forum to learn. The only reason you're in this forum is to
show contempt for the other members of the forum.

As mentioned here, I got a job in infrastructure engineering (civil) back in 2014. My background is chemical. They needed a chemical because the field had added technologies that were more suitable to a chemical background. Despite that, it was still the realm of civil engineers.

So a situation came up where the question was whether a hole of a certain size could be drilled in a pressure vessel. I said it could, that it is done all the time. The head engineer said no, you can't drill that hole in a pressure vessel. He didn't know why exactly, just knew that it couldn't. I decided I had better go back to my desk and figure out why he was right and I was wrong.

What I figured out was that in the industry I had been working in, pressure vessels would cycle maybe 2-4 times per week. They would come up to pressure, reflux for a couple days, pressure would be reduced, and the vessel would go offline for a day or two. In this industry, a pressure vessel would cycle up to 4 times per hour. With a similar hole of that size in a pressure vessel of the thickness in question, that amount of cycling would fatigue the metal and there was a high probability the vessel would explode before end of its useful life.

So I went back and told the head engineer that I was wrong and he was right, and told him what I learned.

This was repeated numerous times. We agreed probably 90% of the time, but the 10% of the time when we disagreed, he was right 80-90% of the time. That put his accuracy rate at 98-99% and mine at 91-92%, which is a huge difference.

The attitude I took when I was right was to go back to his office and explain why I couldn't figure out that I was wrong. I never told him he was wrong because, with this huge difference in accuracy, I didn't consider it likely that he would be. He would say, well, let's take a look, you're right, and he would get very excited because, for him, it wasn't about being right, it was about adding to his knowledge base.

To think that nobody understands money velocity because they don't understand what Mish posted is a joke.

If I had brought that same attitude to the infrastructure engineering job, I would have been fired in a week.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:00 pm
Higgy even knows that I know what I'm talking about on all of these levels, especially the economic ones, which John is less well versed in.

There's something on these financial forums, etc., I can never figure out.

You have stated numerous times that you believe in Bitcoin. But as Bitcoin fell this week, you never talked about where you would buy more. When it hit the low near $30,000 yesterday morning, you were nowhere to be found until it came off that low and was up near $37,000.

A few minutes after the low, I posted this:
Higgenbotham wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:18 am
Bitcoin is down 30% this morning to 31,000.

I'm nibbling a little bit on the miners for a trade. I think the institutions will come in this morning and support Bitcoin at this support level, as they have a lot at stake.

The miners just bounced about 3% and I am already out.

I was literally scaling in and posting right at the low.

You know I hate Bitcoin, but you also know that I've said I'll buy anything for a trade. I didn't have much money because it's mostly tied up in shorts, but the situation was so extreme that I used what little I had to start buying the miners.

You're a doctor, so I would assume that you save a lot of money. Why in the world weren't you talking about where to buy as it came down and buy with both hands with whatever you had accumulated in savings right at that low, even using leverage if possible?

I see this all the time, not just with you. It's with everyone.

There's someone who does youtube videos who looks at specific stocks. He liked Alibaba at 300 when Biden got elected. I took note of what he said and put it on my list. When Alibaba came down to 211 last Christmas on the news, I emailed him and asked if he was loading up. I told him I loaded the boat (to the extent that I am willing to with a stock). Crickets. I didn't hear anything until Alibaba was all the way back to 250, and I had unloaded long before it got to 250. Same thing with Kirkland Gold more recently.

This has nothing to do with whether someone knows what they're talking about or not. This particular person knows how to find good stocks. His videos are superb. But when it comes to pulling the trigger on his favorite stocks at lows, he's nowhere to be found.

Why?

And why weren't you buying more Bitcoin down at $31,000?
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

John, YOU have no business threatening to commit suicide on a public forum. This was not a joke, and was not done in a fleeting moment. Back in the Seventies, when I first realized I was never going to be an astronomer I said to someone I might just kill myself. I ended up almost being dismissed from college and had to see a professional regularly for the remainder of my time there. And I was only 20, legal only because of a Constitutional Amendment. You are old enough to know better.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

John

Post by John »

** 21-May-2021 World View: Motive
Tom Mazanec wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:45 am
> John, YOU have no business threatening to commit suicide on a
> public forum. This was not a joke, and was not done in a fleeting
> moment. Back in the Seventies, when I first realized I was never
> going to be an astronomer I said to someone I might just kill
> myself. I ended up almost being dismissed from college and had to
> see a professional regularly for the remainder of my time
> there. And I was only 20, legal only because of a Constitutional
> Amendment. You are old enough to know better.
Well first off, calling the police and sending them to my apartment
was totally unhinged, driven by your God Complex. This was you
claiming to "save my soul," as if you were God capable of saving my
soul. You are not God. You are not capable of saving anyone's soul,
certainly not by the idiotic move of calling the police. In my case,
any discussion of "suicide" was indefinite and months into the future.
I can only describe what you did as unhinged.

Second, we're talking about your behavior, not mine. A lot of people
hate me -- I've talked about the Cassandra curse many times -- and
some of them are members of this forum. I'm used to that. But you've
taken your hatred one step further by calling the police to humiliate
me (and you succeeded in humiliating me, by the way). Stop trying to
justify your behavior by blaming others. This is about your behavior,
not mine.

Third, now at least we all know what your motive was. After almost 40
years, you're still pissed off that the authority figures in your
college humiliated you and made you see a shrink. Since I'm an older
person, you decided to get revenge on your college and humiliate me in
the same way that you were humiliated. So at least now we know what
your motive is.

So please. You say there are nine other forums that you like more
than this one. Please please go to them and inflict your God Complex
on them, and leave me alone. I'm sure that some of them need their
souls saved, and I'm sure that they'll be thrilled to have your help
saving their souls. Furthermore, some of those people may be 20 years
old, so you can save their souls in the same way that your college
saved your soul. Win-win-win.

(By the way, your college didn't give a shit about you. If the
college had expelled you and you committed suicide, they would be in
big trouble. All they cared about was avoiding a lawsuit, so they
found the ideal solution. They never would have expelled you. If you
really want to get revenge, then inflict your God Complex on a lawyer
somewhere.)

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:25 am
Higgenbotham wrote:

I'm nibbling a little bit on the miners for a trade. I think the institutions will come in this morning and support Bitcoin at this support level, as they have a lot at stake.

Institutional Bitcoin Buying Spiked Around Wednesday’s Crash

Bitcoin outflows from over-the-counter desks spiked, signaling dip-demand from institutional investors.
https://www.coindesk.com/institutional- ... days-crash

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

John wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:28 am
** 21-May-2021 World View: Motive
Tom Mazanec wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:45 am
> John, YOU have no business threatening to commit suicide on a
> public forum. This was not a joke, and was not done in a fleeting
> moment. Back in the Seventies, when I first realized I was never
> going to be an astronomer I said to someone I might just kill
> myself. I ended up almost being dismissed from college and had to
> see a professional regularly for the remainder of my time
> there. And I was only 20, legal only because of a Constitutional
> Amendment. You are old enough to know better.
Well first off, calling the police and sending them to my apartment
was totally unhinged, driven by your God Complex. This was you
claiming to "save my soul," as if you were God capable of saving my
soul. You are not God. You are not capable of saving anyone's soul,
certainly not by the idiotic move of calling the police. In my case,
any discussion of "suicide" was indefinite and months into the future.
I can only describe what you did as unhinged.

Second, we're talking about your behavior, not mine. A lot of people
hate me -- I've talked about the Cassandra curse many times -- and
some of them are members of this forum. I'm used to that. But you've
taken your hatred one step further by calling the police to humiliate
me (and you succeeded in humiliating me, by the way). Stop trying to
justify your behavior by blaming others. This is about your behavior,
not mine.

Third, now at least we all know what your motive was. After almost 40
years, you're still pissed off that the authority figures in your
college humiliated you and made you see a shrink. Since I'm an older
person, you decided to get revenge on your college and humiliate me in
the same way that you were humiliated. So at least now we know what
your motive is.

So please. You say there are nine other forums that you like more
than this one. Please please go to them and inflict your God Complex
on them, and leave me alone. I'm sure that some of them need their
souls saved, and I'm sure that they'll be thrilled to have your help
saving their souls. Furthermore, some of those people may be 20 years
old, so you can save their souls in the same way that your college
saved your soul. Win-win-win.

(By the way, your college didn't give a shit about you. If the
college had expelled you and you committed suicide, they would be in
big trouble. All they cared about was avoiding a lawsuit, so they
found the ideal solution. They never would have expelled you. If you
really want to get revenge, then inflict your God Complex on a lawyer
somewhere.)

Tom,

How many people do you think read this forum on a regular basis and saw what John posted about suicide? But you were the only one who called the police. The only one. Why do you think that is? Is it because you are the only one who cared about John? How many people do you think have donated money to John's site? Do those people care about John? I would presume they do, but none of them called the police.

I really am interested in getting estimates of the real numbers. I would guess around 2,000 people read John's comments about suicide, but I'm not very good at making these kinds of estimates of Internet traffic.

What if Someone Needs Help Online?

If you see someone online who is suicidal, there are several steps you can take to help this person.

Take his or her words seriously and respond with compassion.

Encourage him or her to reach out for help to a friend, family member, counselor, clergy and other community members.

Encourage him or her to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (Lifeline) at (800) 273-TALK (8255). Tell him or her the Lifeline is available 24/7 for anyone in suicidal crisis anywhere in the United States.

If you would like assistance, the Lifeline is also available to provide information about helping someone contemplating suicide. You can also visit the Lifeline website by clicking on the link above.

If the person online is saying he or she is going to kill him or herself at that moment or is in the process of attempting suicide, please try to find the person's location and call the local police or 911.
https://wmich.edu/suicideprevention/basics/online

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

No, I was concerned about you, John. I tried every argument I could think of to convince you to live. I had bought your books that you had published at the time, the most money i could afford to "contribute" to you. I only called the cops when I ran out of options.
A person can make a mistake which has eternal consequences. I tried to stop you from doing that. If someone says they are going to kill themselves again, I will try to stop them from making that eternal mistake by any means I can.
And as for all those people who read of John's plans, (assuming they took him as seriously as I did) and id not call the police? I imagine Kitty Genovese's witnesses felt the same way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:25 am
Cool Breeze wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:00 pm
Higgy even knows that I know what I'm talking about on all of these levels, especially the economic ones, which John is less well versed in.

There's something on these financial forums, etc., I can never figure out.

You have stated numerous times that you believe in Bitcoin. But as Bitcoin fell this week, you never talked about where you would buy more. When it hit the low near $30,000 yesterday morning, you were nowhere to be found until it came off that low and was up near $37,000.

A few minutes after the low, I posted this:
Higgenbotham wrote:

I was literally scaling in and posting right at the low.

You know I hate Bitcoin, but you also know that I've said I'll buy anything for a trade. I didn't have much money because it's mostly tied up in shorts, but the situation was so extreme that I used what little I had to start buying the miners.

You're a doctor, so I would assume that you save a lot of money. Why in the world weren't you talking about where to buy as it came down and buy with both hands with whatever you had accumulated in savings right at that low, even using leverage if possible?

I see this all the time, not just with you. It's with everyone.

There's someone who does youtube videos who looks at specific stocks. He liked Alibaba at 300 when Biden got elected. I took note of what he said and put it on my list. When Alibaba came down to 211 last Christmas on the news, I emailed him and asked if he was loading up. I told him I loaded the boat (to the extent that I am willing to with a stock). Crickets. I didn't hear anything until Alibaba was all the way back to 250, and I had unloaded long before it got to 250. Same thing with Kirkland Gold more recently.

This has nothing to do with whether someone knows what they're talking about or not. This particular person knows how to find good stocks. His videos are superb. But when it comes to pulling the trigger on his favorite stocks at lows, he's nowhere to be found.

Why?

And why weren't you buying more Bitcoin down at $31,000?
Let me just address what you said in the post before this, which was interesting, and then as usual you cap it off with non sequitirs which hurt your otherwise good storytelling and post. In that preceding post, you ended with:
To think that nobody understands money velocity because they don't understand what Mish posted is a joke.
If you take time to answer certain things that you understand, and do a good job posting about them, why do you make generic and emotional comments that you don't explain? The default conclusion to anyone who is savvy is that you can't explain it, that's why. Mish showed that (as I said 3x) velocity is an after-the-fact calculation. My simple summary of no one understanding it lacks nuance, but show the point: it's a retrospective stat that is only clear in rear view, when GDP and pricing, other entities not all that well understood but can be tracked, are noted. What I'm proposing is a valuable synthesis of what Mish showed. AGAIN, you can get inflation with varying levels of "velocity" which shows you that it is not a good indicator at all. That is pretty obvious, and I'm explaining why he's right that it's a confusing topic, obviously one that has far more components than anyone understands, which is a proxy for macroeconomics in general. Yet we still have people claiming all sorts of knowledge and certainty about macro. LOL.

Ok, regarding the BTC trade, my goal isn't to tell you guys when or how to buy it. You already know I'm a HODLER. I still think various levels of buying are good, of course anything around 30k or if it dips to 20k (I don't think it will but that would be another buy of the century) should therefore be bought. The complication is that I don't know what devices you have, what tax considerations you have, how easy it is, and quite frankly, I don't care to tell people to buy something at various levels when I already told them to buy this and hold it for a decade. It's bizarre you even ask. You presume it's a trade. It can be a trade, but it's far more valuable than that. Think outside your own boxed mine on this one. There's your answer.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm theoretically always buying bitcoin. I find the question to be weird. You are asking a guy who spent weeks convincing you (unsuccessfully because all you do is claim its tulips or some other nonsense) that BTC is a pristine asset and then you ask him why he wasn't telling you to buy at arbitrary X valuation?

What planet are you guys are? These are just illogical statements and bizarre thinking processes. They don't make any sense. You know my position. Open your mind and eyes.