Inside China’s controversial mission to reinvent the internet

tetmo

Inside China’s controversial mission to reinvent the internet

Post by tetmo »

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/commen ... _reinvent/
On a cool day late last September, half a dozen Chinese engineers walked into a conference room in the heart of Geneva’s UN district with a radical idea. They had one hour to persuade delegates from more than 40 countries of their vision: an alternative form of the internet, to replace the technological architecture that has underpinned the web for half a century. Whereas today’s internet is owned by everyone and no one, they were in the process of building something very different — a new infrastructure that could put power back in the hands of nation states, instead of individuals. The team who had masterminded the New IP (internet protocol) proposal was from the Chinese telecoms giant Huawei, which had sent the largest delegation of any company to the September meeting.

Lemming

Re: Inside China’s controversial mission to reinvent the internet

Post by Lemming »

Nothing came out of it, right? More so, the Huawei officials have been in trouble in some countries (Poland I believe)? Something about money laundering etc. This meeting has taken place last year and it was quite eye rising but we haven't heard anything else about it, have we? I guess there is too much going on in the world too keep a clear track about it all.

tetmo

Post by tetmo »

I haven't heard anything more about it, but I haven't looked either. I would suspect that given (1) people are starting to distrust Chinese electronics and (2) it's been pretty slow for the world to adopt IPV6 that it will be a very long time before their stuff is adopted if at all. But it does show the direction they want to go. If they do become as dominant or more than the U.S. then they will start to do this so they can monitor everything.

Raveeshyui

Post by Raveeshyui »

Its really helpful information

William85

Post by William85 »

This is one of many reasons why the Chinese companies and goverment cannot be trusted. They keep gathering information about us and stealing personal information. They know as much as our goverments, but in this case they are not our goverment. We haven't agreed to give away our key information to them. We have to be careufl about them.

EKelly82

Post by EKelly82 »

The entire purpose of the internet is that each node has power over the others. So, as someone who enjoys servers and IT, I'll never surrender over my data to the government for a Nation state system.
Furthermore, all of this will accomplish is push more people into the decentralized approach, which will have the opposite impact.

Post by Guest »

William85 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:44 am
This is one of many reasons why the Chinese companies and goverment cannot be trusted. They keep gathering information about us and stealing personal information. They know as much as our goverments, but in this case they are not our goverment. We haven't agreed to give away our key information to them. We have to be careufl about them.
Avoid TikTok. It mines your cellphone for info.

Sophia93

Post by Sophia93 »

It's scary looking at how things are recently developing on the Internet. Not only so many people are using TikTok doing stupid stuff or dances, but also sharing their private data. The biggest issue nobody is practically mentioning is Tencent growing at a huge scale. They keep taking over smaller companies and will be soon a behemoth.