Couple Singularity books

Tom Mazanec

Re: Couple Singularity books

Post by Tom Mazanec »

The Peripheral
William Gibson

In two settings:
Flynn is in the "slow-motion apocalypse" (as the dust jacket call it) of the near future world, assembling product at the 3-D printshop and being a combat scout in an online game. Her brother lives on disability from his neurological damage in the Marines' elite Haptic Recon unit.
c.2100
Wilf is an Average citizen post-Singularity (which they call the "Jackpot") who travels into the past to create Alternate History Universes (which they call "Stubs")...a common hobby at this point in time.
As the dust jacket intro concludes: "Flynn and Wilf are about to meet one another. Her world will be altered utterly, irrevocably, and Wilf's, for all its decadence and power, will learn that some of these third-world types from the past can be hard-ass."
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

They All Have One Breath
Karl Bunker
Asimov's Science Fiction Dec 2016

The Singularity occurs sooner than John expects, and when the CoC WWIII breaks out in the Middle East, the AIs cancel it into the "Fizzle War".
Then they end disease, crime, poverty, and overpopulating births. For animals as well as humans.
Can one be an artist in this new Eden, where we are but pets of a Godlike AI?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

John

Post by John »

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

John wrote:I'm still waiting for you to turn your short story into a book.

** 'Maybe we'll get it right this time' by Tom Mazanec
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... 090309.htm
Yeah, gotta get back to that.
The Crash of the site I was writing it on wiped out all my work, so you see I felt uninclined to start all over again...

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Wired
by Douglas E. Richards
A Singularity by an unlikely mechanism...a drug which enormously enhances human intelligence. Goes into issues hyperintelligence might raise...for example, would a hyperintelligent entity be an effective psychopath, treating humans like we treat dumb worms and bugs?
Available on Kindle Unlimited.
The sequel is Amped.
I also recommend his other technothrillers...they depict technology we might get out of the Singularity and the issues that might arise.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

A great thriller on an Artificial Superintelligence is Infinity Born by Douglas E Richards. It is full of plot twists, so I don't want to say too much, but you can read it on Kindle Unlimited.
Also, in the May/June 2017 Analog magazine is "The Girls with Kaleidoscope Eyes" by Howard V. Hendrix. Here a AI infiltrates itself into humanity by parthenogenesis of the women of a small town.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

May I recommend "Air Gap", by Eric Cline, in the January-February 2018 Analog Science Fiction and Fact. It postulates that conscious thought is a source of anxiety for the extremely intelligent, that the perception of reality becomes a torment. So any hyperintelligent entity comes to hate and seek to destroy its creators. I will not spoil it for you by telling more, and I think the solution employed is too simplistic, but it is good food for thought.

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Pray the Singularity is like this:
https://365tomorrows.com/2018/02/07/the-thought/