Generation-X culture vs Boomer culture

Awakening eras, crisis eras, crisis wars, generational financial crashes, as applied to historical and current events
Trevor

Re: Generation-X culture vs Boomer culture

Post by Trevor »

So if it happens in less than 60 years time and the Nomads are the soldiers, do they do the same thing during the awakening that the heroes would have?

John

Post by John »

Trevor wrote:So if it happens in less than 60 years time and the Nomads are the soldiers, do they do the same thing during the awakening that the heroes would have?

The Awakening is basically run by the Artists, who clash with the Prophets.
The Heroes are still the senior management, but their effects
are tiny compared to the Artists and Prophets.

I've been referring to the 2000s as the "Gen-X culture," and the 1980s as
the "Boomer culture." Similarly, the 1960s could be called the
"Silent culture."

CrosstimbersOkie

Post by CrosstimbersOkie »

John wrote:Well, that's the generational joke. Nomads teach their children not
to have morals or ethics, as the excerpt from Bourne implies, but the
children turn into Heroes and develop ethics and morals anyway during
the crisis. They're then despised by the next Nomad generation.
Ha, ha.

More bullshit John. I was lucky enough to know a grandfather's mother, he was born in 1911, she in 1889. She was honored by all who knew her, me included. She was known to have nurtured four of her five children through the Great Depression, something a Prophet could never accomplish. In fact, precious few Prophets are capable of even nourishing themselves through a crisis.

John

Post by John »

CrosstimbersOkie wrote: More bullshit John. I was lucky enough to know a grandfather's mother, he was born in 1911, she in 1889. She was honored by all who knew her, me included. She was known to have nurtured four of her five children through the Great Depression, something a Prophet could never accomplish. In fact, precious few Prophets are capable of even nourishing themselves through a crisis.
And that contradicts what I said how?

CrosstimbersOkie

John wrote:
CrosstimbersOkie wrote: > You're condemning an entire generation ...
That's a strange thing for you to say. Haven't you condemned the
entire generation of Boomers?
True. But you started it Pal. I'm just playing by rules established by a Boomer. As usual. So, don't go Boomer and start whining about it.

CrosstimbersOkie

John wrote:
Trevor wrote:So if it happens in less than 60 years time and the Nomads are the soldiers, do they do the same thing during the awakening that the heroes would have?

The Awakening is basically run by the Artists, who clash with the Prophets.
The Heroes are still the senior management, but their effects
are tiny compared to the Artists and Prophets.

I've been referring to the 2000s as the "Gen-X culture," and the 1980s as
the "Boomer culture." Similarly, the 1960s could be called the
"Silent culture."
Which generation did the '90s belong to?

John

Post by John »

CrosstimbersOkie wrote: True. But you started it Pal. I'm just playing by rules established by a Boomer. As usual. So, don't go Boomer and start whining about it.
Blah, blah, Boomer, blah blah.

I condemned both Boomers and Gen-Xers. You condemn only Boomers,
and you make Gen-Xers into innocent victims.

CrosstimbersOkie

John wrote:
CrosstimbersOkie wrote: True. But you started it Pal. I'm just playing by rules established by a Boomer. As usual. So, don't go Boomer and start whining about it.
Blah, blah, Boomer, blah blah.

I condemned both Boomers and Gen-Xers. You condemn only Boomers,
and you make Gen-Xers into innocent victims.
Hmm. Maybe you should go back and reread some of my posts that talk about criminal personalities and thugs. Some of them may be Gen-Xers.

You've written a lot about Boomer managers being the victims of their thuggish Gen-X subordinates. So tell me, where does the Boomer, Karen Pletz fit into that scenario? Did some Gen-X subordinate or two force her to commit her crimes? Maybe it was a group of Gen-X medical students? Perhaps those wicked Gen-X mid-level attorneys at the US Attorney's office singled her out for prosecution because she was a Boomer? No doubt if she were 15 years younger she would have got a pass??

http://www.kcconfidential.com/full_cont ... =yes&pbr=1

Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi, Trevor: If a Fourth Turning–fueled total war breaks out, but happens during a Fourth Turning that is "before its time" (such as with the American Civil War), what apparently happens is that no Hero generation develops, and that you have a generational skip from Nomads to Artists. (At least, this is what Strauss and Howe appear to believe.) Thus, you essentially get a First Turning reset, which changes the next generational-archetype constellation. However, maybe John or others feel otherwise about this.

Hi also, CrosstimbersOkie: You might find it valuable to read my own postings on how I take a hybrid tack to John's philosophy of nihilistic Nomads influencing idealistic, narcissistic Prophets who work in senior management. In essence, I feel that this sort of thing does significantly happen in Third Turnings and perhaps the Post-Unraveling part of Fourth Turnings, but my addition here is that bad-apple and "compromised-prone" people of any generation, who get into organizations during this time, may well "do their own thing" without some "evil cabal of Nomads" directly causing these bad/compromised apples to act the way they do. However, the passive Prophets and active Nomads, during this timeframe, do create a dysfunctional atmosphere which greatly helps to allow the non-Nomad, "direct-actor bad apples" to carry out their negative organizational behavior. (I think this latter concept is heavily in alignment with how you feel people act within organizations, including Boomers.)

Just more food for thought here...thanks again, all, for your insightful contributions. —Best regards, Marc

CrosstimbersOkie

Marc wrote: Hi also, CrosstimbersOkie: You might find it valuable to read my own postings on how I take a hybrid tack to John's philosophy of nihilistic Nomads influencing idealistic, narcissistic Prophets who work in senior management. In essence, I feel that this sort of thing does significantly happen in Third Turnings and perhaps the Post-Unraveling part of Fourth Turnings, but my addition here is that bad-apple and "compromised-prone" people of any generation, who get into organizations during this time, may well "do their own thing" without some "evil cabal of Nomads" directly causing these bad/compromised apples to act the way they do. However, the passive Prophets and active Nomads, during this timeframe, do create a dysfunctional atmosphere which greatly helps to allow the non-Nomad, "direct-actor bad apples" to carry out their negative organizational behavior. (I think this latter concept is heavily in alignment with how you feel people act within organizations, including Boomers.)

Just more food for thought here...thanks again, all, for your insightful contributions. —Best regards, Marc
Hey Marc. There's truth in what you say. I kind of touched on it in a previous post:

by CrosstimbersOkie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:14 pm

One thing the military teaches you is that you can take a mediocre individual and turn them into a pretty decent performer with the right regimen. The converse is true. You can take a mediocre citizen in the moral sense, and turn them into a thug with the right regimen. Boomers, through their juvenile incompetence as a generation, have succeeded in manufacturing criminals via their institutional "leadership."
As John says, it's like a Greek Tragedy. It happens because it has to happen. The destruction is the process of tearing down an old structure that's no longer viable. It's ugly but necessary.

And John knows, deep down, that Nomads are better than Prophets...