16-Jun-10 News - Obama gives Oval Office speech on oil spill

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

16-Jun-10 News - Obama gives Oval Office speech on oil spill

Post by John »

16-Jun-10 News -- Obama gives Oval Office speech on oil spill

** 16-Jun-10 News -- Obama gives Oval Office speech on oil spill
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 16#e100616

Contents:
"President Obama's gives an Oval Office speech on the oil spill"
"Kyrgyzstan violence tamps down, leaving hundreds of thousands of refugees"
"Europe's financial crisis continues to deepen"
"Additional links"
Kim Jong-un prepares to succeed his father in North Korea
Jordan claims Israel is blocking its peaceful nuclear program
Hundreds of people killed in 5 days by Mexican drug cartels
Germans enjoy Schadenfreude at UK's soccer tie with US
Russian rocket takes astronauts to the space station
Humor: The 7 habits of highly ineffective people

OLD1953

Re: 16-Jun-10 News - Obama gives Oval Office speech on oil spill

Post by OLD1953 »

The speech was intended to reassure Boomers and GenXers that their money is safe (BS) and was probably effective at that. It was also reassuring to the godgovers, the group that believes the government is some kind of godhead and the president is the papal authority. That latter group is larger than you think, and a president ignores them at extreme peril. They seem to be equally split between neo conservatives and far left green types.

Look at the demands that the government shut down that oil well. How? Miracles?

cm

Post by cm »

Quote: "An article last week by Evans-Pritchard in the Telegraph points to numerous trends that indicate that the European economy is deteriorating:
Almost 100 million barrels of oil (a near record) are stored in tankers at sea, by speculators hoping for higher prices, indicating that a sharp fall in price is coming...."

This article is from June 2009, not this year.

John

Post by John »

cm wrote:Quote: "An article last week by Evans-Pritchard in the Telegraph points to numerous trends that indicate that the European economy is deteriorating:
Almost 100 million barrels of oil (a near record) are stored in tankers at sea, by speculators hoping for higher prices, indicating that a sharp fall in price is coming...."

This article is from June 2009, not this year.
Thanks for the correction. I've corrected the article.

John

Post by Guest »

c'mon, John! Obama is responsible for BP's oil disaster? OK, I get the "karmic revenge" point, but really, I think you're just jealous 'cause he's richer and thinner than you. Plus, he went to Harvard, and, well, MIT is just not Harvard. As we both know.

shoshin

Post by shoshin »

I just noticed that I was listed as "Guest", but I want full credit for that last post! It was I, John.

John

Post by John »

shoshin wrote:c'mon, John! Obama is responsible for BP's oil disaster? OK, I get the "karmic revenge" point, but really, I think you're just jealous 'cause he's richer and thinner than you. Plus, he went to Harvard, and, well, MIT is just not Harvard. As we both know.
Well, David, there's just no telling what Karma is going to do, even to rich, thin
Harvies.

John

The Grey Badger

Post by The Grey Badger »

For your amusement and edification - re toxic spills

http://www.theonion.com/articles/massiv ... -bp,17564/

OLD1953

OMG, this will flat kill you

Post by OLD1953 »

The problem with Obama's speech has been revealed! He overshot the American audience!

So the President has a "problem" if he makes a speech at high school level. Good grief. Are we a nation of morons, or does this guy just like to think that?

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06 ... .analysis/

President Barack Obama's speech on the Gulf oil disaster may have gone over the heads of many in his audience, according to an analysis of the 18-minute talk released Wednesday.
Tuesday night's speech from the Oval Office of the White House was written to a 9.8 grade level, said Paul J.J. Payack, president of Global Language Monitor. The Austin-Texas-based company analyzes and catalogues trends in word usage and word choice and their impact on culture.

OLD1953

OMG, this will flat kill you

Post by OLD1953 »

The problem with Obama's speech has been revealed! He overshot the American audience!

So the President has a "problem" if he makes a speech at high school level. Good grief. Are we a nation of morons, or does this guy just like to think that?

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/06 ... .analysis/

President Barack Obama's speech on the Gulf oil disaster may have gone over the heads of many in his audience, according to an analysis of the 18-minute talk released Wednesday.
Tuesday night's speech from the Oval Office of the White House was written to a 9.8 grade level, said Paul J.J. Payack, president of Global Language Monitor. The Austin-Texas-based company analyzes and catalogues trends in word usage and word choice and their impact on culture.