Financial topics

Investments, gold, currencies, surviving after a financial meltdown
vincecate

Re: Financial topics

Post by vincecate »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:57 pm
The Internet doesn't have to break. When the Roman Empire fell, the gold hoards were useless because there were no surpluses. With close to 5 billion people packed into cities worldwide versus something like a million in Rome when the Roman Empire fell, there will be no surpluses this time either, so money in any form will be useless. Even if there are some surpluses here and there, no farmer is going to trade Bitcoin for food when he realizes there may be no surpluses next year and he has more critical items to stock up on. Anybody who has anything of value will want the goods on the barrelhead so to speak and that means barter.
When Rome was failing they were debasing their money too. See graph of "silver content of roman denarius" in:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/curren ... an-empire/

Roman government was trying to feed people too. Kind of like the US sending checks to the population really.

Also when they were failing they were trying price controls. The government was were debasing the silver coins an arresting people for raising prices. Same thing happens over and over.

It seems price controls were part of the death of Egypt too.

https://www.heritage.org/environment/co ... e-controls

Debasing the money and price controls can kill an economy and often does. That is how I expect the US to fail too.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Higgenbotham wrote:
[*] Life during the coming dark age will be similar to the last dark age but worse due to environmental damage and pollution.[/list]
Everything hinges on this doomsday, extreme doomsday worldview of yours. Why bother picking on BTC, when you admit nothing does anything for you, but you. It's just bizarre. But even in that, you are wrong. Travel is possible now, never was in Rome like it is today. You can literally save your ass and fly across the world with BTC and be relatively whole, or even much much better off. Surely you can't say that every region in the world will be the same zombie apocalypse. I mean this figuratively because I don't say things like this, but if that's your stupid, pessimistic, dire prediction and you won't relent at all or give the %probabilities scenarios like a mature human would, just kill yourself right now because "we are all doomed." It's just ridiculous shit to constantly state.

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

vincecate wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:51 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:
The Internet doesn't have to break. When the Roman Empire fell, the gold hoards were useless because there were no surpluses. With close to 5 billion people packed into cities worldwide versus something like a million in Rome when the Roman Empire fell, there will be no surpluses this time either, so money in any form will be useless. Even if there are some surpluses here and there, no farmer is going to trade Bitcoin for food when he realizes there may be no surpluses next year and he has more critical items to stock up on. Anybody who has anything of value will want the goods on the barrelhead so to speak and that means barter.
When Rome was failing they were debasing their money too. See graph of "silver content of roman denarius" in:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/curren ... an-empire/

Roman government was trying to feed people too. Kind of like the US sending checks to the population really.

Also when they were failing they were trying price controls. The government was were debasing the silver coins an arresting people for raising prices. Same thing happens over and over.

It seems price controls were part of the death of Egypt too.

https://www.heritage.org/environment/co ... e-controls

Debasing the money and price controls can kill an economy and often does. That is how I expect the US to fail too.
What a breath of fresh air that another poster realizes and debunks all the crap we have to wade through here. It's amusing to me that the end of the world™ is always coming, and even when we give them a major solution, they just keep on that pied piper determinist foolishness. I guess some people are beyond help, vince. Thanks for being here to school them with proper logic and thinking, though. I know a few of us still exist and have hope for the future, because we aren't blinded by odd religion or emotional thinking.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:48 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 am
Just because something has a price right now doesn't give it intrinsic value.
Why do you keep saying this? I don't, and never have appealed to it. You guys are obsessed with arguments that I don't make. They are stupid arguments, beyond that. Just stop.

I'm glad to hear that on the other topics you are honest. I don't blame you for trading, it's all a game at this point of the clown world policy and FED cycle, for sure.
There's all kinds of worthless crap that the market wants to put a price on. Bitcoin is just one of those items in a sea of worthless crap. Don't let what I say get under your skin. If you want to believe the posted price of Bitcoin, go ahead.

We could just as well debate any of the worthless crap I traded today. To me, it's all the same. Do you like Cassava Sciences? I traded it today but as far as I'm concerned there will be no worthwhile treatment for Alzheimer's. I'm sure there are people who feel Cassava Sciences is worth something. That's why I trade it.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm
Higgenbotham wrote:
[*] Life during the coming dark age will be similar to the last dark age but worse due to environmental damage and pollution.[/list]
Everything hinges on this doomsday, extreme doomsday worldview of yours. Why bother picking on BTC, when you admit nothing does anything for you, but you. It's just bizarre. But even in that, you are wrong. Travel is possible now, never was in Rome like it is today. You can literally save your ass and fly across the world with BTC and be relatively whole, or even much much better off. Surely you can't say that every region in the world will be the same zombie apocalypse. I mean this figuratively because I don't say things like this, but if that's your stupid, pessimistic, dire prediction and you won't relent at all or give the %probabilities scenarios like a mature human would, just kill yourself right now because "we are all doomed." It's just ridiculous shit to constantly state.
That's not extreme. I don't pick on Bitcoin. You're the extremist who thinks worthless crap is somehow worth something when you should know better, but don't. That must be your Neanderthal genes working. Sorry, but I must lack them.

This is what's coming. Get ready. And no, Bitcoin will not save you from environmental damage and pollution. How are the PCBs in your blood treating you today? Do they have you feeling upset?
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Cool Breeze wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:00 pm
What a breath of fresh air that another poster realizes and debunks all the crap we have to wade through here. It's amusing to me that the end of the world™ is always coming, and even when we give them a major solution, they just keep on that pied piper determinist foolishness. I guess some people are beyond help, vince. Thanks for being here to school them with proper logic and thinking, though. I know a few of us still exist and have hope for the future, because we aren't blinded by odd religion or emotional thinking.
Congratulations, you found one other poster here who likes Bitcoin. That somehow makes both of you logical. Oh, OK, that makes sense. I get it now.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

For those who want to contemplate the coming dark age and the ways in which environmental damage and pollution will make the coming dark age worse than the last one, you can read this with your breakfast. Yes, I know, PCBs are more "great technology" and "great technology" is the reason there will be no dark age at all.
High levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in the blood are associated with premature death. This is shown by a cross-disciplinary study, based on 1,000 randomly selected 70-year-olds in Uppsala, that is published in the JAMA Network Open journal today.

The study is one in a series of studies from a cross-disciplinary collaboration, which has now lasted more than ten years, between Professors Lars Lind and Monica Lind at Uppsala University and environmental chemists at Örebro University. It shows health risks associated with PCBs, although these substances have long been banned.

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are a group of environmental pollutants that are subject to restrictions in many countries, and bans have reduced their concentrations in the environment. But since these substances decompose very slowly and are stored in fatty tissue, they remain present in animals and humans. In particular, PCBs with many chlorine atoms in the molecule persist in most Swedes' blood.

In the study known as PIVUS (Prospective Investigation of the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors), more than 1,000 randomly selected 70-year-olds in Uppsala were monitored over a long period. In the study relating to PCBs in blood, concentrations were measured in the subjects' blood in 2001-2004, and then again when they reached the age of 75. Follow-up of those who had died over a 10-year period showed that the individuals with the highest PCB levels with many chlorine atoms in the blood had 50% excess mortality, especially from cardiovascular disease, compared with the other groups. This corresponds to some seven extra deaths during the 10-year follow-up period.

The results were independent from the risk factors that had previously been found to be connected with cardiovascular disease, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, obesity, high cholesterol, low educational attainment and cardiovascular disease at age 70.

Previous studies have also shown an association between high PCB levels and atherosclerosis in humans and experimental animals alike. In the researchers' view this finding and the new data combined indicate that intake of PCBs in food should be reduced.

"We humans get most PCBs in our bodies by ingesting them in food. These substances are fat-soluble and found mainly in fatty animal foods like fish, meat and dairy products. According to the Swedish National Food Agency, particularly high concentrations of PCBs are present in fatty fish like Baltic herring and wild-caught salmon from polluted areas, such as the Baltic Sea, the Gulf of Bothnia, and Lakes Vänern and Vättern," Monica Lind says.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... re%20death.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

I'm optimistic about the future. The future roughly 10 centuries from now, but not the immediate future. I hope I can be reincarnated 10 centuries from now. I'm not sure I believe in reincarnation, though. Maybe I'd better start believing in it. Meanwhile, my 14 month old kid is on my lap pointing at the monitor and asking, "What's this?"

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 pm
If you don't believe me regarding the Rothschilds, at least believe Martin Armstrong.
Higgenbotham wrote:
Nobody controls Wall Street or Goldman Sachs except for the people in the official chain of command of Wall Street and Goldman Sachs. The people who semi-control this country and the world do it in plain view. They are listed on the Forbes 400, they attend their CFR, Bilderberger and Davos meetings, they own the media, they own the politicians, and they tell the Federal Reserve how much money they need printed and when. The reason I say "semi-control" is because this thing is like a machine where there is really no one person or group in complete control of it because it has spun out of control. Obviously some have much more control than others, but like I said about Bill Gates, do you want to be that guy when they system collapses; I don't. It's a hard wired human tendency to want to believe that some deity, some shadowy figures, or somebody in an official leadership capacity can really control events. It's comforting to think somebody is in control of this mess and to think maybe somebody who is more agreeable can be in control of it in the future. Nobody is really in control in the big picture. There is no "Head Dinosaur" here as much as people would like to think. The Rothschilds have got nothing to do with anything. They are mostly dead and gone.
Higgenbotham wrote:
Also, there is no reason to worry about the influence of the Rothschilds.
Higgenbotham wrote:
There's no evidence the Rothschilds own the Federal Reserve either (or any part of it). And the banks they own are as minor as the rest of their holdings.
Martin Armstrong on February 15, 2019 wrote:
The Great Myths that Never Die: Rothschilds & Petrodollar

It has been used to convince everyone that central banks are evil and they are merely the puppets of the Rothschild family who control the world. The Rothschilds lost their power as did the Medici. They have been replaced by Goldman Sachs, which is affectionately called “Government Sachs” among professional dealers and traders. It is the former directors of Goldman that have infiltrated governments worldwide.
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/worl ... trodollar/

If you don't believe me regarding Bitcoin, at least believe Martin Armstrong. These quotes are taken from articles Armstrong has written that are tagged with Bitcoin.
A currency has to be LEGAL TENDER as long as we have governments. That means it must be acceptable even by the government for taxes. This cryptocurrency is not really a currency at all. It is simply a speculative investment. To be a real currency it must be used within society to conduct commerce. We cannot accept it for by the time we would go to convert it, who knows what the value would be. It is far too volatile.
As long as cryptocurrencies are an asset class, then they will survive a monetary crisis along with all other assets. Assets are the ONLY thing that survives the collapse of a currency. So be careful of what you wish for.

The new currency issued after the German Hyperinflation, Rentenmark, was backed by real estate. Tangible assets are on the opposite side of whatever the currency is in use. When the stock market rises, the purchasing power of the currency declines. When the stock market crashes, then the purchasing power of the currency rises. They are on OPPOSITE sides. Do you really want a cryptocurrency to be a currency or asset? Most people pitching them are really explaining an alternative asset – not a currency.

Cryptocurrencies are a new asset class. Just look at them from that perspective. You are asking a lot if we are talking about replacing the monetary system with private money. That is just not likely in the cards. Nonetheless, we will probably end up with a new RESERVE currency used among nations. That is still unlikely going to be a world currency used by the people in every country. What we use for currency can be cryptocurrencies of some sort ONLY if we see the political powers crumble and fall.

None of the big IT companies are doing anything with Blockchain. That may change in the future and it may even be replaced by something even better. I draw the line between an asset class and a replacement currency for the dollar with a very thick marker. You would have to completely destroy the system as is for that to even come into play. Is that what people are praying for? All pensions gone, banks destroyed and you think this cryptocurrency will be the only thing to survive? You go that far the ONLY money becomes FOOD! We are still in mid-game and we are not yet close to the end-zone.

For now, cryptocurrencies are not a currency at all, they are a new asset class. Just because they are called “currency” does not make them an actual currency. If they are not widely accepted in payment as legal tender, then they are not yet ready for prime time. When you go online to buy anything, they display the standard payment methods – not BitCoin.

Calling BitCoin a “currency” does not make it one. It is still an asset class and for it to be a currency, it would have to respond OPPOSITE of assets, not trade with them.

Cryptocurrencies are an ASSET CLASS for trading. Do not marry the trade. Treat them as any stock and you will be fine.
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/tag/bitcoin/

Cool Breeze

Post by Cool Breeze »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:38 pm
For those who want to contemplate the coming dark age and the ways in which environmental damage and pollution will make the coming dark age worse than the last one, you can read this with your breakfast. Yes, I know, PCBs are more "great technology" and "great technology" is the reason there will be no dark age at all.
High levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in the blood are associated with premature death. This is shown by a cross-disciplinary study, based on 1,000 randomly selected 70-year-olds in Uppsala, that is published in the JAMA Network Open journal today.

The study is one in a series of studies from a cross-disciplinary collaboration, which has now lasted more than ten years, between Professors Lars Lind and Monica Lind at Uppsala University and environmental chemists at Örebro University. It shows health risks associated with PCBs, although these substances have long been banned.

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are a group of environmental pollutants that are subject to restrictions in many countries, and bans have reduced their concentrations in the environment. But since these substances decompose very slowly and are stored in fatty tissue, they remain present in animals and humans. In particular, PCBs with many chlorine atoms in the molecule persist in most Swedes' blood.

In the study known as PIVUS (Prospective Investigation of the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors), more than 1,000 randomly selected 70-year-olds in Uppsala were monitored over a long period. In the study relating to PCBs in blood, concentrations were measured in the subjects' blood in 2001-2004, and then again when they reached the age of 75. Follow-up of those who had died over a 10-year period showed that the individuals with the highest PCB levels with many chlorine atoms in the blood had 50% excess mortality, especially from cardiovascular disease, compared with the other groups. This corresponds to some seven extra deaths during the 10-year follow-up period.

The results were independent from the risk factors that had previously been found to be connected with cardiovascular disease, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, obesity, high cholesterol, low educational attainment and cardiovascular disease at age 70.

Previous studies have also shown an association between high PCB levels and atherosclerosis in humans and experimental animals alike. In the researchers' view this finding and the new data combined indicate that intake of PCBs in food should be reduced.

"We humans get most PCBs in our bodies by ingesting them in food. These substances are fat-soluble and found mainly in fatty animal foods like fish, meat and dairy products. According to the Swedish National Food Agency, particularly high concentrations of PCBs are present in fatty fish like Baltic herring and wild-caught salmon from polluted areas, such as the Baltic Sea, the Gulf of Bothnia, and Lakes Vänern and Vättern," Monica Lind says.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... re%20death.
Not knowing the frailties and lack of power of most prospective studies. Another fail.