Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Bob Butler

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Bob Butler »

Xeraphim1 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:07 pm
The discussion on rational limitations on firearms took place a long time ago. What you're discussing is neither rational nor reasonable. I encourage you to do more research into the issue rather than relying on false talking points.
This discussion hasn't much to do with the purpose of the thread, so I would assume John may move it, but where I am coming from...

At the end of the Reconstruction, the Jim Crow Supreme Court in the process of removing federal rights from blacks neutralized much of the Bill of Rights. Thurgood Marshall and the NAACP restored most of it in the mid 20th century, but left the 2nd Amendment pretty much alone. The academics came up with the 'standard model' of what the 2nd Amendment should say, and the NRA and various activists are in the process of making it so. I am pretty much in agreement with the standard model. (Well, nobody seems willing to admit that nukes are an arm too. Nobody has filed a court case on that particular point yet.) Thus, I am coming from things from a slightly different angle than most here.

But the Democrats are pretty much riding on a century of Jim Crow precedent with its accent on the militia clause, while the Republicans are going with at least some of the academic standard model. It is just that congress does have the power to regulate the militia, including defining who is in the militia. If the Democrats switched from counting on the defunct Jim Crow era precedents to regulating the heck out of the militia they might be able to force a reasonable dialogue.

So I'm up on the academics and the law, but am taking a different slant than most here. And you are correct that the laws as written are not rational nor reasonable given modern weapons. Thus, both sides are sort of looking away from what the law says.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

Did Australian scientists just make 5G obsolete?

https://www.studyfinds.org/record-break ... streaming/

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

Really, Burner? Half the time I feel that your contribution is a least better than not, sometimes it's good. But that last post, just too long. And your anger and mean spirited style... I'm happy to read your viewpoint if it's respectful.

Post by Guest »

FullMoon wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 pm
Really, Burner? Half the time I feel that your contribution is a least better than not, sometimes it's good. But that last post, just too long. And your anger and mean spirited style... I'm happy to read your viewpoint if it's respectful.
I don't have a problem with it. We live in troubled times. Navi seems willing to give in too much; Butler not at all. BP shows us why their stances are wrong.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

In the founding father’s time, with rights came duties. If you had the right to own and carry a weapon, you had a duty to know how to use it to protect the community. The threats included warships off the coast, and native warriors in the wilderness. Given the lack of rapid communications and transport at the time, a standing army could not solve the problem.

These days the problems have changed. The old duties have long been forgotten. The threats have changed. We have to deal with drug gangs and spree shooters. Still, many insist they still have all the old rights, but do not see they have a duty to do what they can to protect the community.

And that is the unraveling mentality. Ask not what you can do for your country…

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

Bob said it well. Just a bit of vetting and a short certification program. Check, I did more to get my hunting license! driving a vehicle requires a lot of hoops.
Operating heavy equipment as well. It's not an infringement on my rights, anyone saying it is probably couldn't pass the vetting process. How we deal with felons is another issue.

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

DaKardii wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:29 pm
Did Australian scientists just make 5G obsolete?

https://www.studyfinds.org/record-break ... streaming/
Not a bit. The technology would affect communication to/from satellites. The signal to handsets would remain exactly the same.

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

Bob Butler wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:45 am
In the founding father’s time, with rights came duties. If you had the right to own and carry a weapon, you had a duty to know how to use it to protect the community. The threats included warships off the coast, and native warriors in the wilderness. Given the lack of rapid communications and transport at the time, a standing army could not solve the problem.

These days the problems have changed. The old duties have long been forgotten. The threats have changed. We have to deal with drug gangs and spree shooters. Still, many insist they still have all the old rights, but do not see they have a duty to do what they can to protect the community.

And that is the unraveling mentality. Ask not what you can do for your country…
it isn't that the "old duties" have been forgotten, it's more that the state has forbidden individual citizens from taking action by monopolizing the use of force. Try to form a posse now and the police will arrest you and throw you in jail.

FullMoon

Post by FullMoon »

Guest wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 pm
FullMoon wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 pm
I don't have a problem with it. We live in troubled times. Navi seems willing to give in too much; Butler not at all. BP shows us why their stances are wrong.
Of course we should stand up for any infringement on our rights. Which is happening too much these days. I only have a problem with ride posters and personal attacks. They persons should be given their own thread to flame on.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Xeraphim1 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:30 pm
it isn't that the "old duties" have been forgotten, it's more that the state has forbidden individual citizens from taking action by monopolizing the use of force. Try to form a posse now and the police will arrest you and throw you in jail.
Agreed that if a pro isn’t around, any citizen should be able to enforce the law. But that should be an immediate reaction when the pros have not had time to get there. Gathering a bunch of people to take a later action is no longer part of the plan. And, alas, training to take action effectively and safely is often forbidden.

But the threats have changed. The duties have been forgotten.