Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Bob Butler

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Bob Butler »

Navigator wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:31 pm
Well, this means that any semi-automatic would be fine, which is what the rules are now. As for no shots above a "given power", that is pretty vague. Given bullet technology, just about anything can be made lethal, regardless of the caliber.

Also, states are the ones currently regulating firearms, so no additional changes there either.

Magazine size doesn't do much to stop shooting, as the real limit in a mass shooting event is how much ammo can you actually carry with you. Plus, bad guys would have the larger magazines anyway (how would you confiscate magazines?).
I'm sure more knowledgeable people than I would negotiate power if the basics were agreed on in principle. Agreed magazines are impossible to regulate, but would be enforced after the fact.

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:26 pm
I'm sure more knowledgeable people than I would negotiate power if the basics were agreed on in principle. Agreed magazines are impossible to regulate, but would be enforced after the fact.
What I am getting at is that you seem to be fine with things the way they are right now (minus "powerful" rounds).

Stopping the sale of magazines would be a joke, as they are easily made on 3D printers. And, as you agreed, confiscating existing ones would be impossible.

Post by Guest »

This gun discussion reminds me of a bumper sticker back in the 80's and 90's.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

Too many "bad guys" have illegal guns. Those guns will not be the ones confiscated, only the registered guns can be confiscated. And where would they put all those confiscated guns? In warehouses? Not very safe.

Once the law abiding citizens have turned in their guns, the bad guys will launch a reign of terror like no other in our history. First they'll strike the warehouses. They'll arm their gangs. Bank robberies, rapes, home invasions, murders just to watch them die (criminals seeking revenge), etc. It would overwhelm our police forces, especially after they have been defunded.

We have a neighboring country where cartels with massive amounts of guns would not think twice about invading our borders to join that reign of terror with their own brand of carnage. They want our money, our young girls and our drugs. It would not take them long to entrench themselves. Our military would have to be called in. Martial law. Innocent people in the crossfire.

How long would it take for a foreign military to see the opportunity to invade? They don't want to nuke us, they want our resources. This would not be a march-in invasion. They would tell our gullible government they want to help us. Then they would rob us blind. Our food, water, oil, coal, etc. etc. is the price we would have to pay. In reality, they are helping the criminals and cartels. Once we are on our knees, they exterminate us.

I'm certain that our founding fathers meant the 2nd Amendment to be for our personal safety AND for the safety of our nation. Freedom must be protected. Guns are a necessary evil and a huge deterrent to criminals and foreign invaders.

Post by Guest »

There is nothing green about an E.V., nothing.

It is virtue signaling magical thinking.

Lots of magical thinking out there these days.

I owned a Honda hybrid. I owned it ten years and went through three batteries. The hybrid auto battery for the Honda civic fits behind the back seat. I'm not sure how much it weighs but it is big.

None of those batteries are recycled. They go straight to the dump. The claimed life cycle of hybrid batteries is 7 to 10 years. BS. On my Honda, the lifespan was 3.33 years. Lucky for me, the batteries were replaced while under warranty. By the end, the cost of the battery at $4000 versus the depreciated sales price of the car, at $6000 would have made paying for another battery stupid.

Same thing for solar panels. I know the salespeople say they will last for 15 to 20 years. BS. Where do solar panels go? The nearest landfill.

I can't believe how stupid people have become to think that EVs and Hybrids are clean energy. They are not. Nor is solar.

And where do you get cobolt for EVs, mostly the Congo. The land of Ebola, warlords, mass rape, genocide on an epic scale, and poverty that would shock the North Koreans. How is this better than buying oil from Canada or fracking oil in America?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:53 am
This gun discussion reminds me of a bumper sticker back in the 80's and 90's.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

Too many "bad guys" have illegal guns. Those guns will not be the ones confiscated, only the registered guns can be confiscated. And where would they put all those confiscated guns? In warehouses? Not very safe.

Once the law abiding citizens have turned in their guns, the bad guys will launch a reign of terror like no other in our history. First they'll strike the warehouses. They'll arm their gangs. Bank robberies, rapes, home invasions, murders just to watch them die (criminals seeking revenge), etc. It would overwhelm our police forces, especially after they have been defunded.

We have a neighboring country where cartels with massive amounts of guns would not think twice about invading our borders to join that reign of terror with their own brand of carnage. They want our money, our young girls and our drugs. It would not take them long to entrench themselves. Our military would have to be called in. Martial law. Innocent people in the crossfire.

How long would it take for a foreign military to see the opportunity to invade? They don't want to nuke us, they want our resources. This would not be a march-in invasion. They would tell our gullible government they want to help us. Then they would rob us blind. Our food, water, oil, coal, etc. etc. is the price we would have to pay. In reality, they are helping the criminals and cartels. Once we are on our knees, they exterminate us.

I'm certain that our founding fathers meant the 2nd Amendment to be for our personal safety AND for the safety of our nation. Freedom must be protected. Guns are a necessary evil and a huge deterrent to criminals and foreign invaders.
Unless Navi's book includes a final chapter on emigrating from the United States, I won't buy it.

Bob Butler

Post by Bob Butler »

Navigator wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 am
Bob Butler wrote:
What I am getting at is that you seem to be fine with things the way they are right now (minus "powerful" rounds).

Stopping the sale of magazines would be a joke, as they are easily made on 3D printers. And, as you agreed, confiscating existing ones would be impossible.
Proposing to get rid of the military weapons while guaranteeing the rurals what they need most. Given you need both groups to agree, what would you propose?

Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Bob Butler wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 am
Navigator wrote:
Bob Butler wrote:

Proposing to get rid of the military weapons while guaranteeing the rurals what they need most. Given you need both groups to agree, what would you propose?
My proposal is in the "What to Do" portion of the second blog post on Guns in America:

https://www.comingstorms.com/guns-in-america-part-two/

Note that it has Nothing to do with confiscation or making firearms illegal. But it does require better vetting and above all training/certification.

I won't go shooting with people who don't know what they are doing, and I have been around too many. For example, You don't load your weapon at your truck and then go to where you will be shooting.

Xeraphim1

Post by Xeraphim1 »

Bob Butler wrote:
Navigator wrote:
Bob Butler wrote:

But what is a "military weapon"? For many on the Left the definition of "assault weapon" (a term that doesn't really exist) is a normal weapon that looks scary. When I was 12 my father got me a Marlin 10/22 .22 rifle; semiautomatic with a 18 shot tubular magazine. This same rifle has been in production since 1964 and presumably is perfectly fine. But what if I swapped out the fixed magazine for a detachable box magazine? What it I added a pistol grip and a folding stock? For most of the Left this would be an ASSAULT WEAPON!!!!!!

Automatic weapons are already banned from private possession without a class 3 license which is not easy to get. Heavy weapons are banned with no exception. Keep in mind that at the time the Constitution was signed private citizens owned cannon and the only reason they didn't have better weapons than flintlocks was because they didn't exist yet.

The discussion on rational limitations on firearms took place a long time ago. What you're discussing is neither rational nor reasonable. I encourage you to do more research into the issue rather than relying on false talking points.

DaKardii

Post by DaKardii »

AP: India, China soldiers brawl again along disputed frontier

https://apnews.com/article/china-asia-p ... 643bb6e3ec

Burner Prime

Post by Burner Prime »

Navigator wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:19 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Navigator wrote:

My proposal is in the "What to Do" portion of the second blog post on Guns in America:

https://www.comingstorms.com/guns-in-america-part-two/

Note that it has Nothing to do with confiscation or making firearms illegal. But it does require better vetting and above all training/certification.

I won't go shooting with people who don't know what they are doing, and I have been around too many. For example, You don't load your weapon at your truck and then go to where you will be shooting.
A Leftie and Center-Leftie walked into a bar...
This convo is hilarious and convinces me Nav is a hack. I feel bad for John having to have even a small dependency on this dude.

The key is understanding the frame these two have selected which is not any kind of neutral one. That's how the left operates, they define the frame of conversation according to a continually left-moving Overton Window. That window becomes the frame of reference. A great example is when reporters question a politician or when politicians question a witness at a hearing. They always go on and on, setting up the frame with their own parameters then demand, "YES or NO Senator!" as an answer. The epic fail of Conservatives is to accept the frame when they should immediately say, "I totally disagree with your premise..."

I read Nav's opinion of the "gun violence epidemic"[TM], and it is quite a joke, even including the obligatory "for the children[TM]" meme, trademark and copyright 2000. "Aww shucks, do we really want to be able to fight a tyrannical govt? Aww shucks, that could get ugly and believe you me, we don't want none of that..." Nav operates in the memeverse to such a degree I can't imagine a single original thought coming from him. I still think any of that book material is wholly unoriginal and borrowed/stolen from others.

And Bob's fake "middle ground" is actually left, and another example of what I illustrated earlier. The middle ground choice is actually the lesser of two left evils, not any kind of left-right compromise. It's like, "So the solution needs to be somewhere in the MIDDLE: shall we kill whites or just jail them? Tell you what, I'll compromise and meet you half-way..." What. A. Friggen. Joke.
Perfect example:
"Proposing to get rid of the military weapons while guaranteeing the rurals what they need most. "

"What the rurals need", what the f*ck is that? Still clinging to the left's phony position that 2A is for hunting. Nope. Keep gaslighting tho.

Mah Dudes, here's a reality check: I reject both of your premises. 2A is not obsolete and it's not scary. It doesn't hurt the children. It's not extreme to want to uphold the Constitution. There is no compromise "middle ground" to upholding the Constitution or the basic rights in the Amendments. That's just you trying to move the Overton Window. If you want to talk practical measures or things that really address safety that's one thing. But you both resort to old and tired memes about "home protection" and hunting, and how 2A is obsolete. And you're not concerned about those things anyway, but only as a device to further "solve" a problem using methods that slow walk power away from the people and into the hands of the oligarchs.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Full stop. It's not extreme, it just is. It's black and white bro. 'Arms' are not hunting rifles, arms are fighting weapons. Definition of arms: "Instruments or weapons of offense or defense." Nothing there about plinking squirrels bruv. Nothing about urban/rural. All the BUT's you shoehorn in there are just attempts to muddy things up.