Peterson: "Review" of Dem Motivational Filmlette

As requested, this sub-forum is for partying, fun, gossip, conundrums, flirting, comedy, tragedy, or whatever.
FishbellykanakaDude

Peterson: "Review" of Dem Motivational Filmlette

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

"Built not Bought: Democrat Messaging Review" - by Jordo B. Peterson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9jBtA_LhA

Thouhts?

:) Aloha dudes and dudettes! <shaka!>

Heisenberg

Re: Peterson: "Review" of Dem Motivational Filmlette

Post by Heisenberg »

Definitely a large shift from previous messaging and a step in the right direction for them. Peterson brings up the point of their use of "they" positioning themselves as separate being a fallacy. This was obviously intentional and also why they wanted to play the nostalgia angle and show JFK and FDR. Implicit in the change of tone and nostalgia is the recognition of how off the mark the democrats have been. It will definitely have a larger appeal IMO because a lot of people want to see taxes get raised on the wealthy. Also Peterson's analysis over intellectualizes the material. I understand he is an academic but the points he makes are levels of nuance that would never be portrayed even if they could.

FishbellykanakaDude

Heisenberg wrote:Definitely a large shift from previous messaging and a step in the right direction for them. Peterson brings up the point of their use of "they" positioning themselves as separate being a fallacy. This was obviously intentional and also why they wanted to play the nostalgia angle and show JFK and FDR. Implicit in the change of tone and nostalgia is the recognition of how off the mark the democrats have been. It will definitely have a larger appeal IMO because a lot of people want to see taxes get raised on the wealthy. Also Peterson's analysis over intellectualizes the material. I understand he is an academic but the points he makes are levels of nuance that would never be portrayed even if they could.
Every third frame of a political "film" (aka propaganda) is a conscious choice. Don't ask me how I know about that "every third frame" part, as it's quite embarrassing.

Anyway,.. it's simply not possible to get "too intellectual" about propaganda. Misinterpretation is a distinct possibility, as a piece is further and further intellectualized, but Jordo doesn't TEND to do that, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, again,.. as the piece is a very concentrated mass of "conscious choices", trying to "decode" it on a shot by shot basis is warranted.

(Did you notice that the chosen voice-actor used Biden's voice, somewhat "youth-en-ized" (!?)? VERY interesting, no?

The real question raised (for me) about an analysis of the piece is, "What fictions were created, and how do they either bring people of "opposing politics" together or alienate them from each other?"

The fictions of the "evil oppressor enemy" and the "virtuous naive victim" polluted the piece to where the overall message was alienation.

It's a red-white-and-blue cheerleading appeal to be more "USA USA USA!!" shouting than the "bad guys", and will only be effective with the already "converted" democrat.

I also felt as if I was watching a timeshifted Soviet Propoganda piece in english. A very anachronistic "who left the keys in the damn timemachine!?" kind of feeling. Spooooooooooooky!

Aloha nui! :) <shaka nui loa!>

John

Post by John »

FishbellykanakaDude wrote: > Every third frame of a political "film" (aka propaganda) is a
> conscious choice.
How do you know about that "every third frame" part?

FishbellykanakaDude

John wrote:
FishbellykanakaDude wrote: > Every third frame of a political "film" (aka propaganda) is a
> conscious choice.
How do you know about that "every third frame" part?
oh oh....