6-Sep-17 World View -- North Korea and Russia continue to incite a new Korean War

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

6-Sep-17 World View -- North Korea and Russia continue to incite a new Korean War

Post by John »

North Korea threatens the United States with 'gift packages'

** 6-Sep-17 World View -- North Korea and Russia continue to incite a new Korean War
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e170906

Contents:
Putin says that North Korea would rather 'eat grass' than end its nuclear program
North Korea threatens the United States with 'gift packages'

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Russia, Vladimir Putin, Nikki Haley,
Libya, Muammar Gaddafi, Benghazi, Iraq, Saddam Hussein,
Crimea, Syria, Bashar al-Assad,
North Korea, Kim Jong-un, Han Tae Song, China

Re: 6-Sep-17 World View -- North Korea and Russia continue to incite a new Korean War

Post by Guest »

The North Korea situation looks like it will play out before the end of the year (at the latest).

John

Re: 6-Sep-17 World View -- North Korea and Russia continue to incite a new Korean War

Post by John »

Guest wrote:Don't feed the trolls
Really, the world is run by morons.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

John, you are right about Putin being factually incorrect but are missing the point. Putin realizes that what he is saying is factually inaccurate but he is saying it regardless because he wants to influence the narrative of events to suit their interests. He is taking small parcels of fact and trying to use it to change the underlying motive of events. Putin has a history of wanting to bring U.S.'s reputation down to his level. I think he probably realizes that is one advantage U.S. has on him from an international support perspective. If the U.S. is morally no different than Russia why not follow them instead? I think the other part all of this serves is to encourage rhetoric and instability on NK.

John

Post by John »

Brendan wrote: > John, you are right about Putin being factually incorrect but are
> missing the point. Putin realizes that what he is saying is
> factually inaccurate but he is saying it regardless because he
> wants to influence the narrative of events to suit their
> interests. He is taking small parcels of fact and trying to use it
> to change the underlying motive of events. Putin has a history of
> wanting to bring U.S.'s reputation down to his level. I think he
> probably realizes that is one advantage U.S. has on him from an
> international support perspective. If the U.S. is morally no
> different than Russia why not follow them instead? I think the
> other part all of this serves is to encourage rhetoric and
> instability on NK.
Putin's stupidity is not in his skills as a polemecist, but in his
delusional belief that he can influence events to his benefit. He
believes that by helping al-Assad create ten million refugees, or by
inciting war in Korea, he will benefit himself and Russia. The
stupidity of those beliefs is breathtaking.

And let's not forget the incredible stupidity of Putin's predecessor,
Stalin, who was completely humiliated and made a complete fool of by
Hitler with the Molotov-Ribintroff agreement, which was possibly the
greatest diplomatic disaster in Russia's history.

You wrote in another thread about how victim psychology and feelings
of inferiority lead to stupid acts and disasters, and that's what
we're seeing.

jmm1184

Post by jmm1184 »

John, have you looked into the Imjin War in Korea? It took place between 1592 and 1598 and involved an attempted invasion of China via Korea by Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... 2%80%9398)

The war is hard to analyze for the Japanese and Chinese as to whether or not it was a crisis war for them, but it was undoubtedly a crisis war for Korea.

John

Post by John »

> 6-Sep-17 World View -- North Korea and Russia continue to
> incite a new Korean War
jmm1184 wrote: > John, have you looked into the Imjin War in Korea? It took place
> between 1592 and 1598 and involved an attempted invasion of China
> via Korea by Japan.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... 2%80%9398)

> The war is hard to analyze for the Japanese and Chinese as to
> whether or not it was a crisis war for them, but it was
> undoubtedly a crisis war for Korea.
No I haven't looked at it. I'll put it on my list of things to do.
Why is that war important?

jmm1184

Post by jmm1184 »

No I haven't looked at it. I'll put it on my list of things to do.
Why is that war important?
It's notable in Korean history for being a sort of war of independence. It completely devastated the Korean peninsula, but Korea also successfully repelled the Japanese invasion due both to the success of its navy (if you have Netflix there's a fascinating movie about these events centered around the admiral who fought this war), and to aggressive guerilla tactics carried out by its neighbors.

On the Japanese side the significance is somewhat less clear, but everything I've read indicated it was meant not primarily as a conquest of Korea but as an invasion and conquest of China. Japan had always resisted and been apart from China's tributary system, but now Japan under the leadership of Hideyoshi was actively challenging China as the leader of the East Asian world.

All that said I'm not sure it was a crisis war for Japan. For one thing, Japan is rather hard to figure out due to the constant state of warfare all through the 1500s, and I suspect that despite its small size it consisted of multiple different timelines. One piece of evidence for it being a crisis war is that the war does appear to have been popular, but I've not done enough research to really figure that out. On the other hand, when Hideyoshi died the Japanese immediately opened into negotiations with Korea and China for withdrawal. I do get a sense that it was largely driven by Hideyoshi rather than the Japanese, but again much of this is speculation rather than in depth research.

China's generational era in this war is unclear, mostly due to its size. Apparently they were already engaged in a war with the Mongols when this broke out, so it may be that at least North China was already engaged in a crisis war.

At the very least, the war is important in that it consisted of a direct challenge from Japan to the authority of China as the supreme hegemon of East Asia, and is highly significant in Korea as a fight for its survival.