8-Jun-16 World View -- Kenya protests take an increasingly dangerous turn / Colorado Obamacare crisis

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

8-Jun-16 World View -- Kenya protests take an increasingly dangerous turn / Colorado Obamacare crisis

Post by John »

8-Jun-16 World View -- Kenya protests take an increasingly dangerous turn

Colorado health insurance in crisis as Obamacare continues to collapse

** 8-Jun-16 World View -- Kenya protests take an increasingly dangerous turn
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e160608

Contents:
Kenya protests take an increasingly dangerous turn
Malawi's albinos 'face extinction' as they're killed and sold for body parts
Colorado health insurance in crisis as Obamacare continues to collapse

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Kenya, Kisumu, Jeremy Otieno, #JusticeForBabyJeremy,
Luo, Kikuyu, Uhuru Kenyatta, Raila Odinga, Mau-Mau Rebellion,
Coalition for Reform and Democracy, CORD,
Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission, IEBC,
Malawi, albinos,
Colorado, Obamacare, UnitedHealthcare, Humana Insurance,
Marguerite Salazar, Rocky Mountain Health Plans,
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Colorado

Re: 8-Jun-16 World View -- Kenya protests take an increasingly dangerous turn / Colorado Obamacare crisis

Post by Guest »

When Obama care fails, what will people do for medical coverage in the US?

Can Americans still get private insurance policies or do they have to go through Obama care? What are the financial penalties for not signing up for Obama care?

Does the average American still support this program?

This situation is difficult for an outsider to understand.

Jack Edwards

Re: 8-Jun-16 World View -- Kenya protests take an increasingly dangerous turn / Colorado Obamacare crisis

Post by Jack Edwards »

Well, I'm no expert on this, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my shot on answering this:
When Obama care fails, what will people do for medical coverage in the US?
Most will likely still be covered under medicare/medicaid/employer coverage. Though there will be a significant population (maybe 20 Million??) who will be screwed. Obamacare really was supposedly created to take care of the people that were outside the main ways people were covered. There are those that believe, it's true intent was to force employers to drop employees from coverage so that a nationalized healthcare system (and thus more governmental power and control) would come into existence. It will be a big stink when it fails, it won't be a disaster, but it will severely negatively affect a minority of people and the progressive press will make it into a big deal.
Can Americans still get private insurance policies or do they have to go through Obama care? What are the financial penalties for not signing up for Obama care?
As far as I understand it, obamacare is more like a standard a private plan has to attain, so I don't think it's legal to sell a health insurance plan that doesn't meet obamacare standards. One of the problems with the obamacare standards is they are over reaching. Mandatory pediatric dental care, free birth control. So a single guy or old lady has to buy the same plan as a married family with three kids. Right now, when you file taxes, you have to certify that you have compliant health care coverage or you face a penalty, though it may be that you just don't get a refund. It is complicated. The penalties I believe rise each year to coerce people to sign up. I personally don't know anyone going through independent obamacare policies, but I know a few that are legally mandated to buy insurance who aren't because they feel paying the penalty is more affordable than paying the premiums. I believe the penalties are a couple thousand dollars - could be wrong.
Does the average American still support this program?
What is an average American? Part of obamacare expanded (in those states that participated) benefits to medicaid - the insurance program for poor people that are state funded. Also, for less rich, but not quite poor people, obamacare subsidized purchasing insurance, so even though premiums keep going up, they aren't seeing the full cost. There are others that just want free female birth control. Anyway, those that are poor and less well off are getting a far better deal than they had before, so I expect they like it. Those that are middle class, but not poor aren't too excited about it. How would you feel about getting 30% increase in premiums in a year? But, I suppose each person's needs and experiences are unique. There are plenty of Americans like me that think it's a conflict with our constitution to require someone to buy health insurance.

Now all that being said, The medical system in the US prior to obamacare was over priced and inaccessible to many. One of my complaints against the Republicans is that they kept defending the status quo, when the status quo was 50% more expensive than it ought to have been. Maybe it was responsive but at an unacceptably high cost. The US insurance system, really isn't insurance as much a corrupt way of paying for medical care that requires people to go through bureaucracies. If I go to the Doctor and say I don't have insurance and I offer to pay immediately with cash, it is said, I can get a rate far below what they would charge me with insurance. It just seems wrong that one should be charged differently if the doctors office can get more money out of an insurance company. I can't tell you how many times I've been told in doctors offices "well insurance will pay for it". The whole system is divorced from rational decision making.
This situation is difficult for an outsider to understand.
Yea it's hard for someone on the inside to understand too.

Jack

psCargile

Post by psCargile »

If you pay out of pocket, you don't have to pay what it cost the doctor to file the insurance. Ain't nothing free, and costs are always passed to the consumer. The less people there are in the middle getting their cut, the cheaper goods and services are.

gerald

Post by gerald »

Sorry to nitpick John, but if the Mau Mau rebellion 1952-1960 ended in 1960 --- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising -- that would be about 56 years ago not 52.
-----------------
"As Jonathan Gruber said, Obamacare passed because of the stupidity of the American people, and as I like to point out, he wasn't referring to me, but to Obamacare supporters." --- If I recall Congress was flooded with calls to vote against obmacare. It was passed against the wishes of the people, and most likely these were taxpayers.

John

Post by John »

gerald wrote: > Sorry to nitpick John, but if the Mau Mau rebellion 1952-1960
> ended in 1960 --- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising
> -- that would be about 56 years ago not 52.
The war climaxed in October 1956 with the capture of Dedan Kimathi,
leader of the Aberdares Mau-Mau, and with his hanging a few months
later.

gerald

Post by gerald »

John wrote:
gerald wrote: > Sorry to nitpick John, but if the Mau Mau rebellion 1952-1960
> ended in 1960 --- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising
> -- that would be about 56 years ago not 52.
The war climaxed in October 1956 with the capture of Dedan Kimathi,
leader of the Aberdares Mau-Mau, and with his hanging a few months
later.
OK, so you made an arithmetic error -- 60 apx. not 52.
cheers

John

Post by John »

gerald wrote: OK, so you made an arithmetic error -- 60 apx. not 52.
cheers
52 years as of 2008.

Millenial83

Post by Millenial83 »

John,

Yup the the attacks on albinos and witchcraft has nothing to do with the low IQ of Black Africans. Nope nothing at all....

gerald

Post by gerald »

It might be said that because the health care industry is so messed up, we are seeing the rise of urgent care facilities.http://docutap.com/blog/rise-of-urgent- ... -boom-town

"For entrepreneurs, the urgent care space is attractive. It caters to the entrepreneurial spirit — exceptional service is rewarded with relatively high profit margins. Private equity and corporate owned groups see urgent care centers as an opportunity. There’s also a high level of competitiveness. Urgent care centers are pushing health systems to give consumers what they want – price transparency, cost comparison, and a focus on patient experience. Quickly, the urgent care industry is changing the face of healthcare."