17-Apr-14 World View -- Iran: Ukraine crisis is a blessing

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

17-Apr-14 World View -- Iran: Ukraine crisis is a blessing

Post by John »

17-Apr-14 World View -- Iran says that the Ukraine crisis is 'a divine blessing'

Ukraine's 'anti-terrorist operation' turns into a fiasco

** 17-Apr-14 World View -- Iran says that the Ukraine crisis is 'a divine blessing'
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e140417

Contents:
Iran says that the Ukraine crisis is 'a divine blessing'
Ukraine's 'anti-terrorist operation' turns into a fiasco
Russian ambassador signals coming invasion of east Ukraine
Pakistan Taliban refuses to extend ceasefire, wants 'peace talks' anyway

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Iran, Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei, Mohsen Rezaei,
Ukraine, Olexander Turchynov, Russia, Vladimir Chizhov,
Pakistan, Tehrik-e-Taliban, TTP, Pakistan Taliban, Nawaz Sharif,

mooreupp

Re: 17-Apr-14 World View -- Iran: Ukraine crisis is a blessi

Post by mooreupp »

I wanted to comment a little on this Russian quote, ""Well I think in the current situation situation there would be seen by people in eastern Ukraine as Russia betraying them, because they want to see their interests protected, and they want to see a federalization of the country. Our view, and my personal view, is the only way to save Ukraine as a single democratic country.""

I read this a little differently I think. Adding this up with a few other things I read, my guess is that Putin's wishes in order are

1. Ukraine remains intact (outside Crimea), but becomes a much more federalized system with larger power in the provinces. This might also mean for real change in the country you need to get a majority on board from all parts of the country. Together, this would mean the Ukraine continues as is, but it would also mean that Russia, through the Russian majority Providences, effectively has a block on major Ukrainian policy decisions they don't like.

2. If that doesn't work, then an invasion into the eastern provinces is possible similar to Crimea. The upside of this for Russia is direct control of more land/people. The downside is that the rest of the Ukraine has few Russians and is now completely onboard with the west.

#1 might not give as much direct control to Russia, but if they can effectively veto moves they don't like in the Ukraine, that's probably ideal over #2.