Generational Dynamics World View News

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Higgenbotham

Re: 2 orders magnitude?

Post by Higgenbotham »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:45 pm
Guest wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:14 am
And one last thing to ponder: El Salvador now has a murder rate on par with Luxembourg.
This had me wondering. I looked up murder rates by nation. El Salvador was listed as #1 at 52.02 per 10K population. Luxembourg is at #188 of 196 at 0.32. The United States by comparison is #76 at 4.96. Your statement is correct if you assume 'on par' accepts a couple of orders of magnitude delta in a rather meaningless envelope.

I assume your other statements are as accurate?

https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/murd ... by-country

Americas
El Salvador says murders fell 70% in 2023 as it cracked down on gangs
Reuters
January 3, 20241:17 PM CST
Updated 2 months ago

SAN SALVADOR, Jan 3 (Reuters) - The number of homicides in El Salvador dropped nearly 70% during 2023, the Central American country's security authorities said on Wednesday, crediting a prolonged state of emergency declared by the government of President Nayib Bukele to fight crime gangs.

Justice and Security Minister Gustavo Villatoro said 154 murders were committed last year, down from 495 the year before.
That implies a homicide rate of 2.4 per every 100,000 people, which Villatoro said was the lowest in the Americas apart from Canada.

More than 1,000 people were killed in El Salvador in 2021 and 2020, and over 2,000 in 2019, according to official data.
Bukele's crackdown has been broadly popular with Salvadorans weary of years of gang violence, extortion and drug dealing.
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 024-01-03/

The source you cite (https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/murd ... by-country) uses the below link as their reference. This reference shows a murder rate for El Salvador of 7.83 per 100,000 in 2022.

https://dataunodc.un.org/dp-intentional ... de-victims

While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Re: 2 orders magnitude?

Post by Guest »

Higgenbotham wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:59 pm
Bob Butler wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:45 pm
Guest wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:14 am
And one last thing to ponder: El Salvador now has a murder rate on par with Luxembourg.
This had me wondering. I looked up murder rates by nation. El Salvador was listed as #1 at 52.02 per 10K population. Luxembourg is at #188 of 196 at 0.32. The United States by comparison is #76 at 4.96. Your statement is correct if you assume 'on par' accepts a couple of orders of magnitude delta in a rather meaningless envelope.

I assume your other statements are as accurate?

https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/murd ... by-country

Americas
El Salvador says murders fell 70% in 2023 as it cracked down on gangs
Reuters
January 3, 20241:17 PM CST
Updated 2 months ago

SAN SALVADOR, Jan 3 (Reuters) - The number of homicides in El Salvador dropped nearly 70% during 2023, the Central American country's security authorities said on Wednesday, crediting a prolonged state of emergency declared by the government of President Nayib Bukele to fight crime gangs.

Justice and Security Minister Gustavo Villatoro said 154 murders were committed last year, down from 495 the year before.
That implies a homicide rate of 2.4 per every 100,000 people, which Villatoro said was the lowest in the Americas apart from Canada.

More than 1,000 people were killed in El Salvador in 2021 and 2020, and over 2,000 in 2019, according to official data.
Bukele's crackdown has been broadly popular with Salvadorans weary of years of gang violence, extortion and drug dealing.
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 024-01-03/

The source you cite (https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/murd ... by-country) uses the below link as their reference. This reference shows a murder rate for El Salvador of 7.83 per 100,000 in 2022.

https://dataunodc.un.org/dp-intentional ... de-victims
Perhaps the poster means 2023 stats? In 2022 the gangs were still roaming free. Or maybe even 2024?

I watched interviews with Salvadorans walking around at night last week. They told the TV crew that they couldn't do that last year.

Bob Butler

Re: Generational Dynamics World View News

Post by Bob Butler »

That is an impressive drop, but I expect a some exaggeration. El Salvadore has a way to go before they hit Luxembourg's 0.32 per 10K.

Post by Guest »

Bob Butler wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:07 pm
That is an impressive drop, but I expect a some exaggeration. El Salvadore has a way to go before they hit Luxembourg's 0.32 per 10K.
Jailing criminals works.

Heat exo

Post by Heat exo »

El Salvador says murders fell by 70% after state of emergency, crackdown on gangs

The number of homicides in El Salvador dropped nearly 70% during 2023, the Central American country’s security authorities said on Wednesday, crediting a prolonged state of emergency declared by the government of President Nayib Bukele to fight crime gangs.

Justice and Security Minister Gustavo Villatoro said 154 murders were committed last year, down from 495 the year before. That implies a homicide rate of 2.4 per every 100,000 people, which Villatoro said was the lowest in the Americas apart from Canada.

Heat exo

Post by Heat exo »

I used to live in Latin America and the crime statistics are only.a small part of the story. Latin American governments calculate crime stats in different ways.

The crime rates across Latin America are shocking.

The number of sex crimes is off the charts. In Central America, incest and rape by a family member is the highest in the world among the indigenous/ aboriginal peoples. It's really horrible. Incest is usually not counted in the statistics.

If you disappear, you are not counted as a murder. Thousands of people disappear in the typical metropolitan area every year in Latin America, especially young.people. the girls are trafficked and the boys murdered.

Body parts are left in parks, on the road sides, and hanging from bridges. Those people are not usually identified and are not counted as murders.

And for every murder there are at least 1000 wounded by gunfire or knives that survive.

The president of El Salvador is popular because he understands the mentality of the gangs. He knows they will ever stop killing, so it is better to jail 1% of the population and let the other 99% live in peace. I support that. Americans seem to have forgotten that. Liberalism does not work.

I see this happening in the United States now. The American government could.have prevented this if thay had chosen to. Latin America immigration into the US was very low until.the 1980s. You should have kept these people out of the United States. Now it is too late.

Another guest

Post by Another guest »

Another guest

Post by Another guest »

Dynamite Boom

Post by Dynamite Boom »

Hey where'd that BTC guy go? What a call ...

John

Post by John »

** 04-Mar-2024 World View: Stock market and Bitcoin bubble

The stock market indexes have exploded
upward into record territory, and so has
Bitcoin. This has been led by NVidia, a
company that provides the super-powerful
chipa that implement the AI applications
in demand by almost every software
company in the world.

Analyst opinions are mixed as to whether