6-Aug-18 World View -- John Bolton and Marco Rubio describe North Korea strategy, as sanctions are violated

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.

Re: 6-Aug-18 World View -- John Bolton and Marco Rubio describe North Korea strategy, as sanctions are violated

Post by Guest »

I live in South Korea. Do you think the situation is still unstable? The local press acts as if everything is back to normal.

Today's headlines
Moon calls for East Asian rail community: In Liberation Day speech, Moon says improving ties with NK will bring ‘genuine liberation’ for Korea

S. Korea gears up for family reunions

Inter-Korean military communication line fully restored: defense ministry

Hopes high for possible Pompeo visit to Pyongyang
However, one story seem to break through the positivity bubble the left wing press has been floating:
South Koreans doubtful about denuclearization, see relations with US as vital

"On the subject of US troops in South Korea after a peace deal is reached on the peninsula, nearly 70 percent of respondents said that their continued presence is necessary. "
Most of the older South Koreans I speak with are really naive, no that's not the right word, stupid. They honestly believe that unification is at hand. I always tell them that I agree, but that the kind of unification coming might not be what they expect.

Koreans seem to want things their way: America tolerates North Korea's lies and simply accepts that one day North Korean nuclear weapons will destroy America's West Coast while at the same time we should maintain troops in the South and bankroll North Korea. It pisses me off, to say the least.

CH86

Re: 6-Aug-18 World View -- John Bolton and Marco Rubio describe North Korea strategy, as sanctions are violated

Post by CH86 »

FishbellykanakaDude wrote:
JRJ wrote:While I appreciate Generational Dynamics point of view, I am struggling to see Iran joining the US and Russia in the clash of civilization. Without regime change coming from within Iran, I just can not see them joining. What am I missing? Am I falling for the perception that this clash of civilization will happen quickly (over the next 2-4 years) or am I just wearing blinders when it comes to Iran?
Obviously, Iran would have to feel itself more "allied in spirit/principle" with "the west" and against China, and that wouldn't actually be THAT difficult once the "old guard" is removed as the arbiters of "good guys and bad guys".

How it is that "the old guard" gets moved out of the way is the only question.
We need to remove the "old guard" from America, Not Iran.

FishbellykanakaDude

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

CH86 wrote:
FishbellykanakaDude wrote:
JRJ wrote:While I appreciate Generational Dynamics point of view, I am struggling to see Iran joining the US and Russia in the clash of civilization. Without regime change coming from within Iran, I just can not see them joining. What am I missing? Am I falling for the perception that this clash of civilization will happen quickly (over the next 2-4 years) or am I just wearing blinders when it comes to Iran?
Obviously, Iran would have to feel itself more "allied in spirit/principle" with "the west" and against China, and that wouldn't actually be THAT difficult once the "old guard" is removed as the arbiters of "good guys and bad guys".

How it is that "the old guard" gets moved out of the way is the only question.
We need to remove the "old guard" from America, Not Iran.
Time will do that quite quickly enough, thank you very much. <chuckle!>

It's just silly "pushing the river" to use "muscle" to speed up the process in a society like America.

Patience young one,.. patience... climb the bank and ready your baskets and gigs, and be happy in knowing.