26-Jun-18 World View -- Massive Tehran riots strike deep into Iran government's legitimacy

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

26-Jun-18 World View -- Massive Tehran riots strike deep into Iran government's legitimacy

Post by John »

Brief generational history of Iran's protests

** 26-Jun-18 World View -- Massive Tehran riots strike deep into Iran government's legitimacy
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e180626

Contents:
Massive Tehran riots strike deep into Iran government's legitimacy
Tehran demonstrators attack Iran's foreign policy
Brief generational history of Iran's protests

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Iran, Persia, Tehran, Grand Bazaar,
Ayatollah Rouhollah Khomeini, Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei,
Palestine, Israel, Hamas, Gaza, Hezbollah, Syria, Lebanon,
Houthis, Yemen, al-Mahdi, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi,
Britain, Russia, Cossack Brigade,
Tobacco Revolt, Constitutional Revolution,
White Revolution, Islamic Revolution

Trevor

Re: 26-Jun-18 World View -- Massive Tehran riots strike deep into Iran government's legitimacy

Post by Trevor »

Why are you so confident that the younger generation is going to win this struggle? The Mullahs could easily decide to simply slaughter hundreds of thousands of protestors the way China did, having the climax end in an older generation victory. Considering the brutality they've been willing to launch against demonstrators, I don't see that as implausible.

Re: 26-Jun-18 World View -- Massive Tehran riots strike deep into Iran government's legitimacy

Post by Guest »

Trevor wrote:Why are you so confident that the younger generation is going to win this struggle? The Mullahs could easily decide to simply slaughter hundreds of thousands of protestors the way China did, having the climax end in an older generation victory. Considering the brutality they've been willing to launch against demonstrators, I don't see that as implausible.
If the Shah had had backbone, he could have stopped the revolution in 1979. He could have done it. The Imperial Army begged him to allow them to crush the uprising, but the Shah was weak. He lacked courage. He ran away and left his loyal followers to die at the hands of the mob.

The Islamic government has never shied away from brutality. They were cut from a different cloth than the Shah.

I hope John is right. I hope they will lose their nerve. I hope they are toppled. Then I could go home.

Esther

Post by Esther »

However this latest revolution plays out, I can't but wonder where Iran's current well-being would stand without barry's transfer of American dollars. Do the governed ever really benefit from the authoritarian elite's decisions? Barry should be in detention not just in hiding.
The Iranian population is in peril. (Russian peasants are not happy either.) Meanwhile Assad is still marching and slaughtering. America is catching up in the pot stirring that precipitates violence. All in all, the human condition is echibiting symptoms of inner rot.

John

Post by John »

Trevor wrote: > Why are you so confident that the younger generation is going to
> win this struggle? The Mullahs could easily decide to simply
> slaughter hundreds of thousands of protestors the way China did,
> having the climax end in an older generation victory. Considering
> the brutality they've been willing to launch against
> demonstrators, I don't see that as implausible.
It's mainly intuition, and I can't really prove it. Iran's
government is led by hardliners, but there are also plenty
of moderates and reformists who are opposed to the violent
crackdown on protesters. So I don't think that a Tiananmen
Square type massacre would be sustainable in Iran.

John

Post by John »

Guest wrote: > If the Shah had had backbone, he could have stopped the revolution
> in 1979. He could have done it. The Imperial Army begged him to
> allow them to crush the uprising, but the Shah was weak. He lacked
> courage. He ran away and left his loyal followers to die at the
> hands of the mob.

> The Islamic government has never shied away from brutality. They
> were cut from a different cloth than the Shah.

> I hope John is right. I hope they will lose their nerve. I hope
> they are toppled. Then I could go home.
If Khomeini's revolution had been crushed, it would have been replaced
with a secular government that was just as bad, jailing, torturing and
killing just as many people. As I mentioned in the article, Reza Shaw
killed hundreds of Khomeini's followers during the 1963 White
Revolution. There were no good guys in 1979. Still, I hope you find
a way to go home.

John

Post by John »

A web site reader pointed me at this article about the new Shah of
Iran:

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/rez ... -protests/

Post by Guest »

Iran's natural state is being an empire ruled by a shah. I do not think it is possible for Persians to ever live in a democracy. It's unnatural. Persians need a strong hand to keep them inline.

I believe nostalgia for the Shah will propel his son into power. The Qajars were corrupt and weak. Persia was in ruins when they ruled. The Iranians haven't forgotten that. The Pahlavi represent progress and modernity. They will be welcomed back. Soon.

FishbellykanakaDude

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

Guest wrote:Iran's natural state is being an empire ruled by a shah. I do not think it is possible for Persians to ever live in a democracy. It's unnatural. Persians need a strong hand to keep them inline.

I believe nostalgia for the Shah will propel his son into power. The Qajars were corrupt and weak. Persia was in ruins when they ruled. The Iranians haven't forgotten that. The Pahlavi represent progress and modernity. They will be welcomed back. Soon.
Ya know,.. it IS a democracy if the people choose to live in an "empire" (collection of sub-national groups within "Iranian" national territory) ruled by a "shah" ("monarch" that the people can "heavily advise").

..of course if he's just another despot, well.... bad stuff...