13-Apr-18 World View -- Japan finds 'semi-infinite supply' of rare earth minerals in its territorial waters

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

13-Apr-18 World View -- Japan finds 'semi-infinite supply' of rare earth minerals in its territorial waters

Post by John »

Japan's rare earths discovery represents a defeat for China

** 13-Apr-18 World View -- Japan finds 'semi-infinite supply' of rare earth minerals in its territorial waters
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e180413

Contents:
Japan finds 'semi-infinite supply' of rare earth minerals in its territorial waters
Japan's rare earths discovery represents a defeat for China

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Japan, China, rare earth minerals,
Minami-Tori-shima Island, Marcus Island

sue

Re: 13-Apr-18 World View -- Japan finds 'semi-infinite supply' of rare earth minerals in its territorial waters

Post by sue »

The plot thickens.
Pinkie swear, I hug no trees. However, I hope these minerals are never used in food products. Mercury poisoning once contaminated cat food from Japan. At present inspecting tinned food labels for origin is a must. As with people, we are in some ways importing our own demise.
China will find more pushbacks. If you doubt that, read, "The Ugly American". The concept knows no nationality.

FishbellykanakaDude

Re: 13-Apr-18 World View -- Japan finds 'semi-infinite supply' of rare earth minerals in its territorial waters

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

I have a semi-infinite supply of air to breathe,.. as long as I don't get stuck underwater, or lock myself in the refrigerator,.. again.

But I'm sure mathematicians everywhere are chuckling as to how to properly use "semi-infinite" in a sentence. :)

John

Post by John »

FishbellykanakaDude wrote: > I have a semi-infinite supply of air to breathe,.. as long as I
> don't get stuck underwater, or lock myself in the
> refrigerator,.. again.

> But I'm sure mathematicians everywhere are chuckling as to how to
> properly use "semi-infinite" in a sentence. :)
The term "semi-infinite" actually does have a mathematical
meaning. It refers to a straight line that extends to infinity
in only one direction, as in

|------------------------------------------------>...

Also, in the past, I've written about applying algorithmic complexity
theory to the problem of governing China, and I've said that "The
population of China is infinite, for all practical purposes."

So if China's population is infinite, then we might say that America's
population is semi-infinite.

FishbellykanakaDude

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

John wrote:
FishbellykanakaDude wrote: > I have a semi-infinite supply of air to breathe,.. as long as I
> don't get stuck underwater, or lock myself in the
> refrigerator,.. again.

> But I'm sure mathematicians everywhere are chuckling as to how to
> properly use "semi-infinite" in a sentence. :)
The term "semi-infinite" actually does have a mathematical
meaning. It refers to a straight line that extends to infinity
in only one direction, as in

|------------------------------------------------>...

Also, in the past, I've written about applying algorithmic complexity
theory to the problem of governing China, and I've said that "The
population of China is infinite, for all practical purposes."

So if China's population is infinite, then we might say that America's
population is semi-infinite.
Well DANG, Batman! You are more than a whole bunch correct! :) This makes me happy. I'd rather be around people smarter than me (which is not THAT difficult to do), and you do NOT disappoint!

I knew there were quite a variety of types of "infinity", but I certainly don't know them all, and "semi-infinite" is a new one to me.

I wonder if there's a "semi-finite"? How about "quasi-rational"? "Nearly asymptotic"? <chuckle!>

..I'm sure the answer to all of those is "yes", in some weird way, but I rather doubt there are THAT many mathematicians around here to trade terminology jokes with. Maybe creating a "Math Department Teachers Lounge" in the "Mixer" sub-forum will be worthwhile? <hee hee...>

Aloha and mahaloz dudes and dudettes! :) <shaka!>