22-Feb-18 World View -- Cobalt for Apple iPhones means more money and weapons for DR Congos corrupt leader Joseph Kabila

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

22-Feb-18 World View -- Cobalt for Apple iPhones means more money and weapons for DR Congos corrupt leader Joseph Kabila

Post by John »

22-Feb-18 World View -- Cobalt for Apple iPhones means more money and weapons for DR Congo's corrupt leader Joseph Kabila

Thousands of children work as cobalt miners in DR Congo

** 22-Feb-18 World View -- Cobalt for Apple iPhones means more money and weapons for DR Congo's corrupt leader Joseph Kabila
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e180222

Contents:
DR Congo's corrupt leader, Joseph Kabila, seeks to cash in on rise in cobalt prices
Tanganyika province in DR Congo faces a humanitarian disaster of 'extraordinary proportions'
Thousands of children work as cobalt miners in DR Congo

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC,
Joseph Kabila, cobalt, Glencore plc, MMG Ltd,
Randgold Resources, China Molybdenum Company Limited,
Apple Inc., BMW AG, Volkswagen AG, Samsung SDI Co.,
Luba, Bantu, Twa, Pygmy, Tanganyika province

devorah

Re: 22-Feb-18 World View -- Cobalt for Apple iPhones means more money and weapons for DR Congos corrupt leader Joseph Ka

Post by devorah »

Kabila has "promised" a December 2018 election. Clever as America will probably continue aid for the year enabling weapon purchase and more killing.
Since the UN Rescue whatever knows of the child labor, I again ask what humanitarian, political or peace keeping purpose does this anti-American cocktail circuit organization serve? And where are the tree huggers as this area is home to abundant wildlife?
Cobalt is only one factor in the genocide. The main ingredients are greed and the same lust for power that reigns in DC and world capitols.
Following the money in DR Congo is easy. Except for cobalt prices, does anyone care?

FishbellykanakaDude

Re: 22-Feb-18 World View -- Cobalt for Apple iPhones means more money and weapons for DR Congos corrupt leader Joseph Ka

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

devorah wrote:Kabila has "promised" a December 2018 election. Clever as America will probably continue aid for the year enabling weapon purchase and more killing.
Since the UN Rescue whatever knows of the child labor, I again ask what humanitarian, political or peace keeping purpose does this anti-American cocktail circuit organization serve? And where are the tree huggers as this area is home to abundant wildlife?
Cobalt is only one factor in the genocide. The main ingredients are greed and the same lust for power that reigns in DC and world capitols.
Following the money in DR Congo is easy. Except for cobalt prices, does anyone care?
OK,.. this is off-topic, but I've had enough of possible-trolls.

Look at devorah's grammar, and spelling skills. Are these the skills of an obviously intelligent person? The obvious incongruity is plain as day.

Now, I'm not particularly interested in banning trolls. I am interested in questioning their "troll probability", though.

Two questions for John:
1) Is there a better sub-forum for this post, as this IS indeed off-topic?
2) Would you rather I (and others) not go about questioning any individual's "troll-ness"?

I'm also not interested in harassing posters, and don't consider attempting to have a conversation with a "probable troll" that might resolve the issue to BE harassment, but it might be interesting to have a "Troll Leaderboard" that identifies probable trolls by a "vote" of the denizens of the overall forum.

I consider devorah to be a troll, but "he" also does have some interesting insights, and should be allowed to post, in my humble opinion. A poster's attitude about their spelling and grammar tells me precisely where they are coming from, as to their actually being a troll or not. I'm quite willing to put up with "lazy spellers" and "english as a second language grammar", but those who can't be bothered to use the language properly, over time, and do so in an "in your face" way (as we all KNOW they are smarter than that) and then exhibit amazing levels of arrogance and "victimhood" about being accused of being a troll, essentially prove themselves to be trolls.

It's not unlikely that devorah could prove "himself" to not be a troll to me. That would be a fun (yes, FUN) conversation! I look forward to having my mind changed, though I think it much more likely that such a conversation would devolve into flame war territory.

I also don't particularly mind having "flame wars" with trolls, but others may find that annoying.

So, whatcha think? What should the policy be for "confronting trolls"?

..and like The Dude, I shall abide.

Aloha nui a me mahalo! :) <shaka!>

John

Post by John »

I know who devorah is, and she isn't a troll. She's also posted under
the handles sue and Sue Fowler. She's in her 80s, she comes from a
military family, of which she's very proud, and she has strong
opinions about what's going on in the world.

John

Post by John »

As to your other question, feel free to have "flame wars" with
whomever you want. Flame wars are a lot of fun to watch when they're
happening to other people.

PonderingPossum

Post by PonderingPossum »

FishbellykanakaDude wrote:
devorah wrote:Kabila has "promised" a December 2018 election. Clever as America will probably continue aid for the year enabling weapon purchase and more killing.
OK,.. this is off-topic, but I've had enough of possible-trolls.

Look at devorah's grammar, and spelling skills. Are these the skills of an obviously intelligent person? The obvious incongruity is plain as day.

Now, I'm not particularly interested in banning trolls. I am interested in questioning their "troll probability", though.

Two questions for John:
1) Is there a better sub-forum for this post, as this IS indeed off-topic?
2) Would you rather I (and others) not go about questioning any individual's "troll-ness"?

I'm also not interested in harassing posters, and don't consider attempting to have a conversation with a "probable troll" that might resolve the issue to BE harassment, but it might be interesting to have a "Troll Leaderboard" that identifies probable trolls by a "vote" of the denizens of the overall forum.

I consider devorah to be a troll, but "he" also does have some interesting insights, and should be allowed to post, in my humble opinion. A poster's attitude about their spelling and grammar tells me precisely where they are coming from, as to their actually being a troll or not. I'm quite willing to put up with "lazy spellers" and "english as a second language grammar", but those who can't be bothered to use the language properly, over time, and do so in an "in your face" way (as we all KNOW they are smarter than that) and then exhibit amazing levels of arrogance and "victimhood" about being accused of being a troll, essentially prove themselves to be trolls.

It's not unlikely that devorah could prove "himself" to not be a troll to me. That would be a fun (yes, FUN) conversation! I look forward to having my mind changed, though I think it much more likely that such a conversation would devolve into flame war territory.

I also don't particularly mind having "flame wars" with trolls, but others may find that annoying.

So, whatcha think? What should the policy be for "confronting trolls"?

..and like The Dude, I shall abide.

Aloha nui a me mahalo! :) <shaka!>
devorah may get the message! Aloha

FishbellykanakaDude

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

John wrote:I know who devorah is, and she isn't a troll. She's also posted under
the handles sue and Sue Fowler. She's in her 80s, she comes from a
military family, of which she's very proud, and she has strong
opinions about what's going on in the world.
Ah! Very good! :) This makes me happy!

..at 80+ I shall insist on liberties in MY spelling and grammar, thank you very much, so I give them fully to our dear non-troll. <chuckle!>

This is why I find pleasure in conversation with possible trolls, who aren't actually trolls. It's wonderful to get clarity (sorta kinda) of a person by talking with them,.. though technically this wasn't what happened this time.

I also find pleasure in conversation with actual trolls, for a while, 'cuz clarity is a good thing.

Alooooooooooooooooha! :) <shaka!>

Post by Guest »

Americans and Europeans worry about oil supplies being cut off in the ME and Venezuela, but the fragility of cobalt supply is much much worse. Every time I hear of an alternative to oil, I roll my eyes. The security situation in central Africa is nightmarish. If people thought getting oil out of the ME was tough, just wait until they have to fight their way through thousands of miles of disease ridden tropical jungles and African warlords commanding armies of drug addicted teenage cannibals. I can't wait.

Tesla and Space X are the biggest scams in history. The American taxpayers (as usual) are being financially raped to finance expensive cars that require sky high maintenance and fake Martian colony missions. The radiation in outer space would kill most of us us before we could even reach Mars. The ones that survive the trip will probably be blind and brain damaged and die a horrific death after they landed.

America needs to rebuild its railways and bring back mass transit (street cars, more buses, etc.). Why are we flushing money down the toilet on these fantasies?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: Tesla and Space X are the biggest scams in history. The American taxpayers (as usual) are being financially raped to finance expensive cars that require sky high maintenance and fake Martian colony missions. The radiation in outer space would kill most of us us before we could even reach Mars. The ones that survive the trip will probably be blind and brain damaged and die a horrific death after they landed.
Tesla: What sky high maintenance are you referring? Also, combustion engines are incredibly inefficient. In that respect converting different energy sources to an electric form by more efficient means they reduce net energy consumption costs in addition to regenerative breaking. They are also safer cars cutting back on deaths which is an even worse inefficiency of current gas powered vehicles.

Space X: Regardless of mars are you implying that drastically cutting space costs is a bad thing? No doubt space will be another front in WWIII just like land,air, and sea.

Post by Guest »

Space X is a an expensive joke. Mars will never happen. If we do go to Mars, it will be robots and AI, not people. The posters are right, the radiation would kill people. I can't believe Musk goes unchallenged in so many interviews. He launched his car into outer space? To me is an exercise in ego boosting and a laughable accomplishment. Not to mention the expense. I know. I know. I don't get it. I would love to put Elon Musk and all of his delusional followers on rockets and send them to Mars. I really would.

Tesla is funded by the American taxpayer and is nothing but Delorean scandal on steroids.

You must be one of the bearded hipsters who rides a bicycle without breaks because you think it looks cool...