25-Dec-17 World View -- Remembering the 1914 World War I Christmas Truce / The 'anti-war movement' in World War I

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

25-Dec-17 World View -- Remembering the 1914 World War I Christmas Truce / The 'anti-war movement' in World War I

Post by John »

25-Dec-17 World View -- Remembering the 1914 World War I Christmas Truce

The 'anti-war movement' in World War I

** 25-Dec-17 World View -- Remembering the 1914 World War I Christmas Truce
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e171225

Contents:
Remembering the 1914 World War I Christmas Truce
The 'anti-war movement' in World War I
World War I vs World War II and World War III

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, World War I, Germany, Britain,
Christmas truce, Vietnam War, Woodrow Wilson,
Wilfred Owen, Anthem for Doomed Youth,
Austria, France, Russia, Archduke Franz Ferdinand,
Erich Maria Remarque, Im Westen Nichts Neues, All Quiet on the Western Front,
Winston Churchill, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Vietnam, India, China

Re: 25-Dec-17 World View -- Remembering the 1914 World War I Christmas Truce / The 'anti-war movement' in World War I

Post by Guest »

John wrote:They also used the time to buy their dead.
Were they expensive?

John

Re: 25-Dec-17 World View -- Remembering the 1914 World War I Christmas Truce / The 'anti-war movement' in World War I

Post by John »

Guest wrote:
John wrote:They also used the time to buy their dead.
Were they expensive?
Thanks for the correction.

Post by Guest »

How would you describe the war between Russians and Ukrainians? Will this be to the death?

Thucydides

Post by Thucydides »

Guest wrote:How would you describe the war between Russians and Ukrainians? Will this be to the death?
This is an interesting question. According to the proposed timeline, both Russia and Ukraine should be deep into Crisis Eras. However, this war has every mark of being a politicians' war instead of a popular war. Every escalation from both sides seams to be a deliberate choice by the leaders. Moreover, the leaders of both sides have shown willing to strike truces -- and then break them. All together this war is acting more like an Unravelling Era war than a Crisis Era war. Of course, Unravelling Wars become Crisis Wars. Ukraine may well decide that this is the last truce and the survival of the nation is at stake. Eventually, I expect this war to escalate into a fight to the death -- at least for Ukraine.

Coordinated fires

Post by Coordinated fires »

Merry Christmas, all. I hope the new year finds us all with hapiness and peace.

Thanks for the write up on the Christmas truce, I have always found it to be a very moving moment in history. Another interesting tidbit about the truce, no such truce took place in the French sectors of the line. In fact, upon hearing of the truce, French civilians spat on and cursed the BEF soldiers as they rotated back to the reserve lines.

Although none of the participants were formally disciplined, the British commanders were similarly incensed, and took measures to ensure such a display of humanity would never occur again. By the same time next year, the belligerents were killing each other with chlorine and phosgene gas...
Politics is war by other means

sue

Post by sue »

Merry Christmas to all.
John's research is flawless.
Missing from the accounts are the barbarious acts of both wars...WWI mustard gas and trench warfare and WWII ovens, torture, forced labor and medical experiments. Yes, wars are horrific. A vast difference exists between genocide and battles to defeat evil.
Hopefully legal American citizens are waking up to the importance of vetting those who seek elected offices. We are involved in treaties to help defend other nations. Politicians and cabinet members do not suit up and ship out to battle. I've talked with GI's in desert tents. These are not movie sets with catered meals between takes. WWIII may well involve American battle zones. Our enemies dwell here and taxpayers support them. Read President Trump's National Security EO. It is a double deep line in the sand.

jmm1184

Post by jmm1184 »

Were there antiwar movements in E Europe, the Balkans, Russia, or the Middle East during WWII?

uncertainty

Post by uncertainty »

What you can't not love about this form is the consistency. "Merry Christmas don't forget WWIII could be this coming year...."

At this point I'm so interested to see what the post war era looks like. I wonder if the underlying anxiety goes away at that point or if it is just seared into the fiber of your being.

Post by Guest »

jmm1184 wrote:Were there antiwar movements in E Europe, the Balkans, Russia, or the Middle East during WWII?
Yeah, they were called communist revolutions.