29-Aug-17 World View -- China and India pull back from Doklam, while North Korea sharply escalates missile crisis

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

29-Aug-17 World View -- China and India pull back from Doklam, while North Korea sharply escalates missile crisis

Post by John »

North Korea launches ballistic missile into Japan's airspace

** 29-Aug-17 World View -- China and India pull back from Doklam, while North Korea sharply escalates missile crisis
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e170829

Contents:
China and India announce pullback agreement on Doklam Plateau
Many unanswered questions about the China-India Doklam agreement
North Korea launches ballistic missile into Japan's airspace

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, China, India, Bhutan, Doklam Plateau,
Hua Chunying, North Korea, Japan, Shinzo Abe

Coordinated fires

Re: 29-Aug-17 World View -- China and India pull back from Doklam, while North Korea sharply escalates missile crisis

Post by Coordinated fires »

Anything said by any politician at any level of government, anywhere in the world, at any point in time is necessarily the exact inversion of what is actually happening. Behind closed doors what is being discussed is universally the exact opposite of whatever lie/falsehood/error/exaggeration is being fed to the public.

Therefore, if Xi and Modi are publicly threatening war, I simply assume they are actually scheming behind some closed door somewhere about how to further enrich themselves and strengthen their domestic political positions so they can steal more. Probably sharing a good chortle over how dumb we all are for taking them seriously.
Politics is war by other means

JCP

Re: 29-Aug-17 World View -- China and India pull back from Doklam, while North Korea sharply escalates missile crisis

Post by JCP »

Coordinated fires wrote:Anything said by any politician at any level of government, anywhere in the world, at any point in time is necessarily the exact inversion of what is actually happening. Behind closed doors what is being discussed is universally the exact opposite of whatever lie/falsehood/error/exaggeration is being fed to the public.

Therefore, if Xi and Modi are publicly threatening war, I simply assume they are actually scheming behind some closed door somewhere about how to further enrich themselves and strengthen their domestic political positions so they can steal more. Probably sharing a good chortle over how dumb we all are for taking them seriously.
I don't think this is a good rule of thumb. Hitler wasn't working behind the scenes to enrich himself. The Emperor of Russia was totally unprepared for war, and entered the war reluctantly. World War One was his end. Emperor Hirohito didn't have back channel deals with Mao. These wars were horrible. None of these people entered them for personal profit. Most were dragged along by events.

Coordinated fires

Post by Coordinated fires »

JCP wrote:
Coordinated fires wrote:Anything said by any politician at any level of government, anywhere in the world, at any point in time is necessarily the exact inversion of what is actually happening. Behind closed doors what is being discussed is universally the exact opposite of whatever lie/falsehood/error/exaggeration is being fed to the public.

I don't think this is a good rule of thumb. Hitler wasn't working behind the scenes to enrich himself. The Emperor of Russia was totally unprepared for war, and entered the war reluctantly. World War One was his end. Emperor Hirohito didn't have back channel deals with Mao. These wars were horrible. None of these people entered them for personal profit. Most were dragged along by events.
There are rare exceptions when their grasping operations are interrupted by their own sheer incompetence. Sometimes the criminals put aside their theft to partake in a little self- aggrandizement, that usually ends up getting them into trouble.

But on a day to day basis, today for example, 99.9% of the world's mayors, ministers, senators, and heads of state will spend the day concerned almost exclusively with figuring out how to get away with stealing more money and funnelling lucrative contracts to friends, relatives, and intermediaries.
Politics is war by other means

JCP

Post by JCP »

But on a day to day basis, today for example, 99.9% of the world's mayors, ministers, senators, and heads of state will spend the day concerned almost exclusively with figuring out how to get away with stealing more money and funnelling lucrative contracts to friends, relatives, and intermediaries.
Perhaps 99.9% of the politicians in Africa, the ME, and Latin America. But in the West, in my experience, it's not like that. It certainly isn't like that in Denmark, Singapore, or Japan. A lot of countries have decent leaders and civil servants. Even in America, their are decent men. I have lived all over the world, and what you write is unfair and overly cynical.

War is coming, but profit isn't the motive.

London Spain

Post by London Spain »

US hegemony is over... they can nothing on this without China´s say so .... China may be tactily not discouraging NK, they will not tolerate US coming any closer than SK.... fair enough.... like Russia and Crimea... USA days in charge are numbered but like any wounded beast can still do tremendous damage as it´s going down.... let´s hope sense prevails

Post by Guest »

London Spain wrote:US hegemony is over... they can nothing on this without China´s say so .... China may be tactily not discouraging NK, they will not tolerate US coming any closer than SK.... fair enough.... like Russia and Crimea... USA days in charge are numbered but like any wounded beast can still do tremendous damage as it´s going down.... let´s hope sense prevails
If America goes down or even falters there will be conflict everywhere and I mean everywhere. The America haters are vulnerable too. A world without America is a world at war.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

London Spain wrote:US hegemony is over... they can nothing on this without China´s say so .... China may be tactily not discouraging NK, they will not tolerate US coming any closer than SK.... fair enough.... like Russia and Crimea... USA days in charge are numbered but like any wounded beast can still do tremendous damage as it´s going down.... let´s hope sense prevails
mmmmmmmmmm fat chance. As alluded to above America has created a very stable world order that many enjoy and profit from that no one seems poised to be able to recreate. As a result, while it may not seem like it right now, there are a lot of people around the world with a vested interest in supporting America. America is far from perfect but on the global scale presents clearly the best option.

The other mistake that you are making is that you are judging America's chance at survival by its current state which in a crisis era isn't say much. Dysfunction is the rule of the day in a crisis era. When it comes time to survival and America has to survive you will see everything change. While I'm not a fan of war or its consequences I do have to say I'm a little excited to see us dust off the old war machine. People see America's wealth and think we are only good at making money. They forget that the foundation of any country is its ability to fight and win wars. When America is solely focused on winning it will not look the same. It will look in some ways like an "authoritarian" state but that is just because everyone will be rallied around the effort to win and survive. China seems to have an advantage because their state is already structured like that and so can make fast progress. There are a couple problems with that though.

1. China's system (and their progress) only works if you have a clear defined picture of what needs to get done and make plans to getting there. What this means is they have been able to make rapid progress because they have America's example of what to copy (not even getting into how much they have stolen). If they were to ever become a leader state they wouldn't hold it for long because it turns out its very hard to make people innovate with a gun to their back.
2. China's system is less resilient. The more power in concentrated the less flexible it is. People will have buy in when things are working but when major cracks start to form they will start to blame the leadership. In the U.S. on the other hand power is much more dispersed and people have more of a say on how their government is run. This means that the people will have more buy in and less likely to turn their backs on the leadership (also they enjoy freedoms that people in China wouldn't).

All and all China looks great right now and America shit but that will change. I wouldn't bet against America. China has enjoyed a nice ride on our back but the ride is up. There is, I bullshit you not, an industry in America for getting (primarily Chinese officials) Chinese children through the American education system. If you think China is ready to lead you are sorely mistaken.