28-Jul-17 World View -- UK to send warships to South China Sea, as China's neighbors militarize

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

28-Jul-17 World View -- UK to send warships to South China Sea, as China's neighbors militarize

Post by John »

South China Sea countries build larger navies, preparing for war with China

** 28-Jul-17 World View -- UK to send warships to South China Sea, as China's neighbors militarize
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e170728

Contents:
UK to send warships to South China Sea, as China's neighbors militarize
South China Sea countries build larger navies, preparing for war with China

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Britain, Boris Johnson, South China Sea,
HMS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Prince of Wales, Australia, Julie Bishop,
China, Xi Jinping, Salami-slicing strategy, nine-dash line
United Nations Permanent Court of Arbitration, PCA,
Vietnam, Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia

Cool Retort

Re: 28-Jul-17 World View -- UK to send warships to South China Sea, as China's neighbors militarize

Post by Cool Retort »

This message board is a mixture of resignation and fear. Your readers basically fall into two categories: those resigned to death in a world war, and those who are afraid to die in one. I've always been an optimist.

I think you are missing a key point in your analysis. World leaders don't want a nuclear war. They are rational actors, even if some pretend not to be, and they know the consequences of nuclear conflict. While non state actors might use WMDs, I don't see governments resorting to them. Even in defeat, Hitler didn't use chemical weapons. The country that was winning World War Two used them, but as a way of avoiding more US deaths in combat on the Japanese mainland. But America knew there would be no retaliation on the same scale. That wouldn't be the case today. I don't think the North Koreans would use them either.

Your readers, some who live in these dangerous places, seem resigned to die. I wonder why they are so fatalistic? Perhaps it's cultural. You should know better, John. You're American. You survived the Cold War without a nuclear war. We won't have one. Relax, everyone.