25-Jul-17 World View -- Massive Kabul bombing on Monday leaves US Afghan policy in tatters

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

25-Jul-17 World View -- Massive Kabul bombing on Monday leaves US Afghan policy in tatters

Post by John »

Massive car bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan, targets Hazaras, kills 36

** 25-Jul-17 World View -- Massive Kabul bombing on Monday leaves US Afghan policy in tatters
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e170725

Contents:
Massive car bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan, targets Hazaras, kills 36
Brief recent generational history of Afghanistan
Kabul bombing puts America's Afghanistan policy into further confusion

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Kabul, Afghanistan,
Ashraf Ghani, Taliban, Pashtuns, Osama bin Laden,
Northern Alliance, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazaras, Hazara Enlightenment Movement,
Mohammad Mohaqiq, Ramazan Hussainzada

Coordinated fires

Re: 25-Jul-17 World View -- Massive Kabul bombing on Monday leaves US Afghan policy in tatters

Post by Coordinated fires »

This situation is sucking up an awful lot of military resources which are desperately needed to prepare for/deter Increased Chinese aggression in the first island chain. IMO the gravest threat to core US national security interests. Access to the western pacific and the ASEAN economies will be vital in the coming century. I don't see anything vital about Central Asia at this time other than denying its use to terrorists.

So the two options I see here are option A) continue the enourmously expensive "nation building"/ security assistance operations for the next 75+ years. Many well respected commentators such as Charles Krauthammer and the like are trying to equate Afghanistan with post-war Germany and Japan, which I think is nuts. Cross our fingers and hope one day we wake up and afghansistan has become a modern state with a cohesive national identity.

Option B would be to cut our losses and withdraw support, possibly allowing Afghanistan to become an ungoverned space once again(this is already the reality outside of Kabul) and then attempt to keep the terror groups contained and at bay using air and missile strikes similar to what's being done in Libya( although that itself is just another festering kicked can).

All shitty options to be sure given it is a shitty backwards part of the world after all . I would probably lean towards option B, is there a third option I'm not seeing here? Maybe we can just wait for the terror groups to start threatening China's belt and road projects, then they can pick up the security tab haha.
Politics is war by other means

Re: 25-Jul-17 World View -- Massive Kabul bombing on Monday leaves US Afghan policy in tatters

Post by Guest »

Why can't we just leave Afghanistan? It won't make any difference. And I no longer care if it does.

psCargile

Post by psCargile »

I agree, only two ways to "win" in Afghanistan: total genocide or to leave.

Coordinated fires

Post by Coordinated fires »

psCargile wrote:I agree, only two ways to "win" in Afghanistan: total genocide or to leave.
True. Problem with genocide is ...its kind of hard. Soviets gave it a shot in the 80s, turned out to be a pain in the ass.
Politics is war by other means

psCargile

Post by psCargile »

We have to nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :lol:

Or the only way to win is to not play.