24-May-17 World View -- Russian obstructionism blocks agreement on splitting up the Caspian Sea

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

24-May-17 World View -- Russian obstructionism blocks agreement on splitting up the Caspian Sea

Post by John »

New 'facts on the ground' may force Russia to change its mind

** 24-May-17 World View -- Russian obstructionism blocks agreement on splitting up the Caspian Sea
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e170524

Contents:
Russian obstructionism blocks agreement on splitting up the Caspian Sea
New 'facts on the ground' may force Russia to change its mind

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Russia, Grigory Karasin, Caspian Sea,
Soviet Union, Iran, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan,
Gazprom, US Agency for International Development,
SOCAR, Norway

Geoffrey Britain

Re: 24-May-17 World View -- Russian obstructionism blocks agreement on splitting up the Caspian Sea

Post by Geoffrey Britain »

Many adults never learn to share as children.
This problem could be easily resolved, it is selfishness and a willingness to steal from others that prevents its resolution. Rhetorical question: when will humanity stop allowing selfishness to remain in charge? Answer: when the majority of humanity grows up into a maturity it has yet to achieve... of course.

The Caspian Sea is over 1000 miles long and over 400 miles wide. Set a 12 mile limit along the shoreline, within which any resource is that country's. Any mineral resources outside that limit belong to all five nations. Outside the territorial limits, full fishing rights for all.

Front Row Seat

Re: 24-May-17 World View -- Russian obstructionism blocks agreement on splitting up the Caspian Sea

Post by Front Row Seat »

Geoffrey Britain wrote:Many adults never learn to share as children.
This problem could be easily resolved, it is selfishness and a willingness to steal from others that prevents its resolution. Rhetorical question: when will humanity stop allowing selfishness to remain in charge? Answer: when the majority of humanity grows up into a maturity it has yet to achieve... of course.

The Caspian Sea is over 1000 miles long and over 400 miles wide. Set a 12 mile limit along the shoreline, within which any resource is that country's. Any mineral resources outside that limit belong to all five nations. Outside the territorial limits, full fishing rights for all.
Sharing is great when things are in abundance. But today resources are being depleted. It's not greed that drives things today, but desperation. Governments know things are running out, and if they want their countries to survive, they will have to grab resources.

I expect China to conquer black Africa militarily in the near future. The Africans will be exterminated and replaced with Chinese colonists. The populations of Australia and New Zealand will also be liquidated and replaced. China has too many people; it does not require foreign slaves.

Have naive of you, GB, to think all of this is an act of immaturity.

Geoffrey Britain

Post by Geoffrey Britain »

Perhaps you are too young to remember when peak oil was supposed to happen shortly. Like 20-30 years ago... today we have far more reserves than ever before and orders of magnitudes more are now projected to exist.

So desperation is hardly the motivation. Perhaps I'm naive but I rather doubt it at my age. As for China genocidally wiping out Africans and setting up shop... it's not going to happen. As, no matter how much the Chinese might lust for all that African veldt, China hasn't the logistical resources needed to move its vast armies, much less maintain the needed supply chains to accomplish such a goal. Then there's that little matter of our mutual defense treaty with the Aussies...

Conflicts at base are always a matter of immaturity on at least one side. When both sides are mature, they both seek to resolve differences non-violently. This is why even our minimally mature democracies do not make war on one another. A perfect example is Canada and the U.S. We certainly have our differences but neither society would contenance attacking the other.

Perhaps you should take up science fiction writing, that way you can imagine any scenario you might wish. Set it in an 'alternate' universe and your fantasy will be secure from logic and reason.

Front Row Seat

Post by Front Row Seat »

Geoffrey Britain wrote:Perhaps you are too young to remember when peak oil was supposed to happen shortly. Like 20-30 years ago... today we have far more reserves than ever before and orders of magnitudes more are now projected to exist.

So desperation is hardly the motivation. Perhaps I'm naive but I rather doubt it at my age. As for China genocidally wiping out Africans and setting up shop... it's not going to happen. As, no matter how much the Chinese might lust for all that African veldt, China hasn't the logistical resources needed to move its vast armies, much less maintain the needed supply chains to accomplish such a goal. Then there's that little matter of our mutual defense treaty with the Aussies...

Conflicts at base are always a matter of immaturity on at least one side. When both sides are mature, they both seek to resolve differences non-violently. This is why even our minimally mature democracies do not make war on one another. A perfect example is Canada and the U.S. We certainly have our differences but neither society would contenance attacking the other.

Perhaps you should take up science fiction writing, that way you can imagine any scenario you might wish. Set it in an 'alternate' universe and your fantasy will be secure from logic and reason.
Get over yourself, snow flake. I found a book you would no doubt enjoy reading:The Great Illusion by Norman Angell he was a 'wise' and 'logical' chap like you: so full of himself; so much in love with the sound of his own voice.

And after you've read that book, read, Germany and the Next War by Friedrich von Bernhardi.

Or perhaps you don't read much? You don't need to: you've been there; done that; got the t-shirt...

Front Row Seat

Post by Front Row Seat »

You don't need 'vast armies' to conquer Africa (sigh). if I have to explain that to you, you don't have nearly as much experience as you claim.

John

Post by John »

I don't know where this concept of China exterminating all Africans
came from, but there isn't a snowflake's chance in hell of anything
even remotely like that coming close to happening. It does sound like
a racially-based science fiction fantasy.

Most people think of Africa by what they see from the projections that
appear in ordinary maps. A lot of people believe that Africa is about
the same size as Texas.

So I like to point out that Africa is about the same size as:

the United States PLUS Alaska PLUS Europe PLUS China,

and there's still a little room left over for New Zealand.

So perhaps a more interesting science fiction fantasy story would be
about the Africans exterminating China, Europe, and the United States.

Front Row Seat

Post by Front Row Seat »

John wrote:I don't know where this concept of China exterminating all Africans
came from, but there isn't a snowflake's chance in hell of anything
even remotely like that coming close to happening. It does sound like
a racially-based science fiction fantasy.

Most people think of Africa by what they see from the projections that
appear in ordinary maps. A lot of people believe that Africa is about
the same size as Texas.

So I like to point out that Africa is about the same size as:

the United States PLUS Alaska PLUS Europe PLUS China,

and there's still a little room left over for New Zealand.

So perhaps a more interesting science fiction fantasy story would be
about the Africans exterminating China, Europe, and the United States.
Think again.

How many Belgian soldiers were needed to conquer the massive Belgian Congo: a farcically small number. They killed 40% of the native population in a decade before Christian missionaries stopped them. Think again.

Hitler killed half the world's Jews in three years.

The Serbs massacred untold numbers of Bosnian Muslims in less than three.

The Japanese murdered what, 25 million Chinese in 14 years?

Think again.

Since when does genocide only exist in the realm of science fiction? You've been talking about genocide for over a decade on this board, and now you say this? Remember, John: the value of life falls to zero the longer a war drags on.

Geoofrey Britain

Post by Geoofrey Britain »

"Snowflake"?
Immediately resorting to personal insults is prima facie evidence of an inability to rebut. And I'm 67, so the snowflake label is just a lame attempt at an insult.

Oh I do read but not to have other people tell me what and how to think. And holding up the opinions of those you deem 'experts' is a logical fallacy known as "an appeal to authority". Nice try but no cigar.

As for China easily conquering Africa, it would quickly turn into another quagmire for them, as Vietnam did for France and U.S. and as Afghanistan did for the British, Soviets and America.