17-Apr-17 World View -- Sharply divided Turkey approves referendum giving Erdogan near-dictatorial powers

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

17-Apr-17 World View -- Sharply divided Turkey approves referendum giving Erdogan near-dictatorial powers

Post by John »

Turkey's referendum results will be closely scrutinized by Europe

** 17-Apr-17 World View -- Sharply divided Turkey approves referendum giving Erdogan near-dictatorial powers
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e170417

Contents:
Sharply divided Turkey approves referendum giving Erdogan near-dictatorial powers
Turkey's referendum results will be closely scrutinized by Europe

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan,
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, Zaman media group,
Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, OSCE,
European Commission, Council of Europe,
Greece, Aegean Sea

Ataturk was right

Re: 17-Apr-17 World View -- Sharply divided Turkey approves referendum giving Erdogan near-dictatorial powers

Post by Ataturk was right »

Let's be honest and say, that it this point, the only thing that will save Turkish democracy is an assassin's bullet. One of Erdogan's guards is going to have to sacrifice himself for the good of the nation. Is there not even a single Turk willing to do this? Turkey is on the way to becoming another Islamic Republic of Iran. What a disaster that has been for everyone.

This is one of those "go back in time and kill Hitler' moments. I know John says it wouldn't matter, but I think in this situation it would. Erdogan represents impoverished villagers and the urban poor. There is no way he should have been able to get more than a third of the votes, which represents his ignorant base of support. This vote was a sham, and everyone knows it. The majority would welcome back secular democratic rule. Erdogan's Ottoman fantasies will end in disaster for Turks everywhere in the world.

Were people here aware that he wants Turks to relearn the dead 'Ottoman' script instead of the Latin Alphabet? I used to laugh out loud when I read what Erdogan was proposing next, but no more. Erdogan has declared war on the very soul of the Turkish Republic.

John

Re: 17-Apr-17 World View -- Sharply divided Turkey approves referendum giving Erdogan near-dictatorial powers

Post by John »

Ataturk was right wrote: > Let's be honest and say, that it this point, the only thing that
> will save Turkish democracy is an assassin's bullet. One of
> Erdogan's guards is going to have to sacrifice himself for the
> good of the nation. Is there not even a single Turk willing to do
> this? Turkey is on the way to becoming another Islamic Republic of
> Iran. What a disaster that has been for everyone.

> This is one of those "go back in time and kill Hitler' moments. I
> know John says it wouldn't matter, but I think in this situation
> it would. Erdogan represents impoverished villagers and the urban
> poor. There is no way he should have been able to get more than a
> third of the votes, which represents his ignorant base of
> support. This vote was a sham, and everyone knows it. The majority
> would welcome back secular democratic rule. Erdogan's Ottoman
> fantasies will end in disaster for Turks everywhere in the world.

> Were people here aware that he wants Turks to relearn the dead
> 'Ottoman' script instead of the Latin Alphabet? I used to laugh
> out loud when I read what Erdogan was proposing next, but no
> more. Erdogan has declared war on the very soul of the Turkish
> Republic.
Last year's foiled coup caused a big surge in support for Erdogan. If
Erdogan were assassinated, there would be massive support for a new
AKP dictator who would take his place, and would probably be a lot
worse than Erdogan.

Also, if the assassination could somehow be traced to the Kurds, or
blamed on the Kurds, there would be civil war.

Ataturk was right

Post by Ataturk was right »

I don't believe the polls at all.

He has lost the support of the cities. The middle class is solidly secular. He has destroyed much of the officer corps, but the ranks are still filled with Ataurk's soldiers.

At this point, I would prefer Erdogan dead and a civil war. At least then the sane half of the country would have a chance to survive and live in a modern country instead of the medieval kingdom envisioned by Erdogan.