5-Dec-16 World View -- No war erupted from Trump's ten minute phone call with Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen / Truman Doctrine

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

5-Dec-16 World View -- No war erupted from Trump's ten minute phone call with Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen / Truman Doctrine

Post by John »

5-Dec-16 World View -- No war erupted from Trump's ten minute phone call with Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen

From the Truman Doctrine to renewed nationalism

** 5-Dec-16 World View -- No war erupted from Trump's ten minute phone call with Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e161205

Contents:
No war erupted from Trump's ten minute phone call with Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen
From the Truman Doctrine to renewed nationalism

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Donald Trump, Taiwan, Tsai Ing-wen,
China, Philippines, South China Sea, Permanent Court of Arbitration,
Harry Truman, Truman Doctrine, John Kennedy

indyjones

Re: 5-Dec-16 World View -- No war erupted from Trump's ten minute phone call with Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen / Truman Doctri

Post by indyjones »

The Truman doctrine did get us involved in Vietnam (domino theory) and we definitely took sides but I don't think I would refer to it as nationalism. I rather suspect that Trumps nationalism is far less dangerous than the rino/democratic new world order bs.

Weiseth

Re: 5-Dec-16 World View -- No war erupted from Trump's ten minute phone call with Taiwan's Tsai Ing-wen / Truman Doctri

Post by Weiseth »

Isn't using the term "nationalism" mostly hyperbole when describing people's Patriotism for one's country? The left loves to equate anything and everything contrary to globalism as defined as "concentration of Power from Sovereign Nation States to Supra-national Institution" as xenophobic Dangerous nationalism when it really just comes down to either patriotism or intellectual preference for the traditional Westphalian Sovereignity, which I would argue have prevented more wars since the thirty years wars than it has caused. Of course no system is perfect as the generational theory system would dictate that one can't prevent a generational crisis war.

I'm not arguing that there isn't increasing nationalism, but I doubt the scores of people 40+ who voted for Trump votes out of nationalism instead of traditional American patriotism as America had in the 1950's, and I highly doubt they even know what a meme is and that they are not part of the alt-right.

Or is it all just xenophobic nationalism?

anon

Post by anon »

Can't see how you list the war with Iraq as a result of rational foreign policy.

Anon

Post by Anon »

John, you've said repeatedly yourself that the world will try brinkmanship one too many times, and WWIII will result.

We now have Trump, whose appetite for brinkmanship in business is well known. He's already carrying that over into actions as president elect.

Seems like QED to me.

John

Post by John »

Anon wrote: > John, you've said repeatedly yourself that the world will try
> brinkmanship one too many times, and WWIII will result.

> We now have Trump, whose appetite for brinkmanship in business is
> well known. He's already carrying that over into actions as
> president elect. Seems like QED to me.
I think you're onto something.

Post by Guest »

John, you have mentioned several times how the American media has been "in the tank" for Obama. (I agree.)

This episode with the Taiwanese president has me wondering about something. Could the U.S. media despise President-elect Trump so much that journalist rants on television and in the papers lead to war? I sincerely believe that if Obama had been the one on the phone, the American press would have praised him for standing up to a bullying China. I see the press trying to undermine everything Trump does. This won't be good for anyone.

I see a pattern developing already.