14-Jul-16 World View -- Police clashes in India-governed Kashmir kill 36 and leaves thousands injured

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

14-Jul-16 World View -- Police clashes in India-governed Kashmir kill 36 and leaves thousands injured

Post by John »

Jammu-Kashmir violence follows a typical generational timeline after civil war

** 14-Jul-16 World View -- Police clashes in India-governed Kashmir kill 36 and leaves thousands injured
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e160714

Contents:
Police clashes in India-governed Kashmir kill 36 and leaves thousands injured

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, India, Kashmir, Jammu, Pakistan,
Burhan Wani, Hizbul Mujahideen, Inter-Services Intelligence, ISI

jmm1184

Re: 14-Jul-16 World View -- Police clashes in India-governed Kashmir kill 36 and leaves thousands injured

Post by jmm1184 »

I think we may have discussed this before, but if internal crisis wars inevitable lead to being refought, why did the US not refight the Civil War? My own suspicion is that it is because the nature of the American Civil War was in reality an external crisis war for the north and the south, even though they were unified. This is because the fault-line was geographical instead of class or religious or ethnic based. If there had been a full slave uprising or class warfare between the plantation owners and the poor whites, then THAT would have been an internal crisis civil war - but that did not happen. The north mustered its armies and invaded the south after the attack on ft sumter, and the south mustered its armies to defend the south. The war reads much more like an external war between two distinct nations, and I would argue that both sides thought of it that way. It was a civil war as much as one could call the inter-regional wars of Early Modern Europe civil wars.

However, there is another reason I think the civil war was not fought, which relays further into my question. I think that the unraveling and especially the crisis era is a critical time for a nation that has experienced an internal crisis war. If a new faultline with an external foe emerges during the unraveling and crisis era, it is possible for the previous factions of the internal crisis civil war to unite in a new crisis war against the external foe, just as nations who were enemies in one crisis war may be allies in the next.

Your thoughts?

John

Re: 14-Jul-16 World View -- Police clashes in India-governed Kashmir kill 36 and leaves thousands injured

Post by John »

When I was first starting out with this, 15 years ago, that was one of
the biggest questions in my mind -- in particular, why was there no
Civil War II.

I came to the same conclusion that you did -- that the Civil War was
really an "external" geographic war between the North and the South,
rather than an "internal" civil war.

** Book II / Chapter 3 - Visceral Causes of Crisis Wars
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... causes.htm

In the last few months, I've really developed a great deal of material
about how civil wars play out, and they always seem to follow the same
pattern. I put some of the new stuff into today's world view article.
One thing I really need to do is gather it all together into a single
article, "The Theory of Civil Wars."

Post by Guest »

It looks like civil war will come to America soon. How can it not? The situation is out of control. Why do you keep avoiding this topic?

John

Post by John »

Guest wrote: > It looks like civil war will come to America soon. How can it not?
> The situation is out of control. Why do you keep avoiding this
> topic?
There's no civil war coming to America. Your imagination is running
away with you.

jmm1184

Post by jmm1184 »

It looks like civil war will come to America soon. How can it not? The situation is out of control.
We are nowhere near a new civil war in America. Every now and then I'll hear talk of a race war between whites and blacks or Hispanics, but even just from my interactions with people of all three races, not to mention historical evidence, I see no evidence that "the blacks" or "the whites" are suddenly going to rise up as a group and begin waging war on the other. For one thing, there is no precedent for this, and oddly enough despite the racial division between whites and blacks in this country it has never developed into a generational fault line. For example, one would have thought that during the American Civil War the blacks would have risen up en masse against the white plantation owners - yet this did not happen! Granted, several blacks enlisted in the Union army, and there were sporadic atrocities, but there was no widespread organized rebellion like you see in the peasant revolts of China. In fact, during every crisis war including the Revolutionary War, blacks have joined together with whites in common cause, especially in WWII. There simply is not the history of mutual crisis wars between whites and blacks, though I am not denying the brutality and injustice done to blacks by whites.

Secondly, there is no comparable religious or geographic fault line in American politics right now to cause a civil war. Thirdly, every time there is an even minor national crisis, people temporarily put aside their differences, including racial ones, and come together in common cause. That indicates a lack of a fault line division in a community.

gerald

Post by gerald »

Your civil war in the US is being pushed by the "leaders" in government and the media. From my experience people get along pretty well, regardless of race etc. as long as you are productive , law abiding, and abide by your "word" and you are not of " the lawyer's in law".