Week of June 7 - Hiatus

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
Oakwood

Re: Glenn Beck Promotes Vicious Anti-Semite on Radio Show

Post by Oakwood »

thomasglee wrote:This shows the ignorance of the left and is clearly a play to those that do not (will not) watch Beck's show and learn what he really says.

1. Beck is a devout Mormon. Mormon's have a deep love and respect for Jews as God's chosen people.

2. Beck OFTEN suggests his viewers read books written by those he disagrees with philosophically. He says we have to read their books to understand their minds.
As I read through my previous post, it appeares 90% of the article appeared to be fact-based (e.g., Beck promoted the work of Diller, etc), and 10% was opinion. The "facts" can be checked easily. Do you know for a fact that Beck disagreed with Diller as you opined? I doubt the author of the article would have had a problem with Beck if that was the case. Is there anything in that article that you can prove is not true?

thomasglee

Re: Glenn Beck Promotes Vicious Anti-Semite on Radio Show

Post by thomasglee »

Oakwood wrote:
thomasglee wrote:This shows the ignorance of the left and is clearly a play to those that do not (will not) watch Beck's show and learn what he really says.

1. Beck is a devout Mormon. Mormon's have a deep love and respect for Jews as God's chosen people.

2. Beck OFTEN suggests his viewers read books written by those he disagrees with philosophically. He says we have to read their books to understand their minds.
As I read through my previous post, it appeares 90% of the article appeared to be fact-based (e.g., Beck promoted the work of Diller, etc), and 10% was opinion. The "facts" can be checked easily. Do you know for a fact that Beck disagreed with Diller as you opined? I doubt the author of the article would have had a problem with Beck if that was the case. Is there anything in that article that you can prove is not true?
I watch his show every day during lunch, but admit I don't listen to his radio show.

Regardless, if you read your post, it clearly says, "...sang the praises of Elizabeth Dilling's 1936 book..." As I mentioned, he OFTEN recommends books as a must read that are written by people he doesn't agree with philosophically. Furthermore, when he says, "..."from people who were doing what we're doing now.", he is referring to what we, as a nation (our leaders) are doing right now. It's easy to take things out of context and twist it. As Beck says, "you have to understand history to understand the present". If you really want to know what he says, watch him some time instead of parroting some political hack from the Huffington Post.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

John

Election in the Netherlands

Post by John »

Election in the Netherlands

There's a lot of concern in the press today about success of right-wing candidate Geert Wilders of the Freedom Party. The rise of the right wing is of increasing concern in Europe, but not because of fear (yet) of right-wing violence, but because of fear of xenophobia, especially discrimination against Muslims. Wilders wants to ban Muslim veils and the building of new mosques, and take other steps that are considered "anti-Muslim." Because of his election success, Wilders may now be guaranteed of a place in the Dutch government's new cabinet.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 147108.ece

John

OLD1953

Re: Week of June 7 - Hiatus

Post by OLD1953 »

A great many Europeans see the compulsory complete covering as equivalent to female slavery, others see it as a disguise that can be used by killers or thieves. It's certainly used that way in Muslim countries, though it does sometimes rebound on the Taliban and others who insist on it. Not long before the US invaded Afghanistan, the Taliban was going to "punish" a young woman for some imagined offense, she pulled a pistol out from under those black robes and unloaded on them. With several dead, the rest of that gang fled. The description of the suspect was notable for lack of detail.

The job market has apparently gone back towards the negative side with a vengance. Apart from census jobs, the percentage of working vs the total work force apparently dropped, unless you accept that those who aren't actively looking for work are somehow not willing to work. That's not true in most cases, they just can't afford to keep up the hunt. Looking for work is expensive.

You'd think, with all the jobless and as hard as it is to get a job, we'd see an end to the screaming about more immigration because there are no US workers. WOW, would you be wrong about that!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... /100609837

Change immigration laws to allow more H1-B visas for scientists and ease the process that allows immigrants to gain green cards to work in the U.S. The last time the H1-B visa cap was raised was in 1990, he said.

Now that is such utter BS, anyone investing in pharma knew damned well the US companies were living off their old fat, not developing new drugs. It costs more now because they actually have to DO THE WORK, not just reformulate old patented items to a new mixture.

And they don't want to obey the law, either.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... H_1B_rules

http://blogs.forbes.com/streettalk/2010 ... graduates/
The favorable brain drain our country has enjoyed for decades is diminishing, maybe even reversing. We need to reverse the reversal. For starters, get rid of those crazy limits on H1B visas.

Let's see now, India educates their students at low costs, then they come here and compete with US professionals who had to pay for their education at high cost. Anyone else see a bit of a problem with that?

The claims of a shortage of IT professionals is not borne out by a trip to the employment offices. And every bit of experience I've had says the H1-B's are simply used to replace US professionals at lower cost - again, against the law but winked at.

Hey, John, did you know you are getting paid too much? You aren't competitive, as long as you get more than 35K a year!

Oakwood

Gleen Beck Promotes Nazi Sympathizer

Post by Oakwood »

thomasglee wrote: If you really want to know what he says, watch him some time instead of parroting some political hack from the Huffington Post.
Although recordings of his broadcasts are available on his website, you have to pay, and I really don't need to know exactly what he said that much. However, every article on the Web I've read says the same thing: Beck endorsed the Dilling book without reservation. If this were just a bunch of political hacks I'm sure Beck and the right-wing blogoshphere would be up-in-arms about them misinterpreting what he really said. I didn't even read one comment defending him following any article. Here's another article with a longer quote from Beck:
This is a book, The Red Network. This came in from 1936. People --[Joseph] McCarthy was absolutely right. Now he may not -- he may have used bad tactics or whatever, but he was absolutely right. This is a book -- and I'm a getting a ton of these -- from people who were doing what we're doing now. We now are documenting who all of these people are. Well, there were Americans in the first 50 years of this nation that took this seriously, and they documented it. And this is from 1936, and in it, it talks about -- it's the who's who and handbook for radicalism for patriots. This is "Who are the communists in America?" The overwhelming number of communists -- labor unions. The other thing that they talked about was, in this book that I was reading last night, they said, you know, there's this teachers union thing, but you really want to know who the real radical communists are? The NEA. That's 1936. And they're talking about this new organization that is really nasty, that you really have to look out for. The NEA. But everything this book has talked about they have mainstreamed.
http://mediamatters.org/research/201006070053

And here's what a professor of history who actually likes Beck says:
According to Glen Jeansonne, a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee history professor who has written about Dilling, she referred to President Eisenhower as "Ike the Kike" and labeled President Kennedy's New Frontier program the "Jew frontier."

Reached for comment yesterday, Jeansonne said that it is "ludicrous that this book written in the 1930s by a woman who was considered a crackpot at the time ... could be cited as an authority on Communism."

Jeansonne described Dilling as a "bigot who believed in ludicrous conspiracy theories" and whose "anti-Semitic" and "sophomoric" writings "appealed to the lunatic fringe" and the "far right."

Jeansonne isn't a left-wing ideologue. He told Media Matters, "I agree with some things Glenn Beck says but certainly not this." He explained that he "personally believe[s] Communism was a terrible idea and was glad to see it implode" but added that "people like Dilling did the cause of anti-Communism a disservice."

According to Jeansonne, Dilling was probably the "most bigoted woman anti-Semite of the period around World War II" and used "long-discredited conspiracy theories" -- including theories advanced in the infamous Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion -- in an effort to link Communism and Judaism.

Jeansonne said that "in addition to being anti-Semitic and anti-Communist, Dilling purported the most convoluted conspiracy theories that are imaginable." He added, "She viewed all sorts of groups with no connection or only the loosest connection as being bound together in an international conspiracy."

"I think she was mentally unstable," said Jeansonne.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201006050001

Now there's further confirmation. On June 7th, Beck said the following on his radio show:
But I'm also getting some amazing mail from the left that now says I'm a Nazi anti-Semite because I quoted a book on Friday -- it was the Red Book, or something like that. It was a who's who, who's in the communist party in 1935. Apparently, I don't know, apparently written by a Nazi sympathizer here in America. Part of the, I'm sure -- I don't know because I didn't look it up -- but I'm sure part of the Father Coughlin, social justice crowd, because this is the choice that progressives give you -- you're either a Nazi or a communist. No, I'm neither. But now -- so now I'm kind of stuck between the place where the left says that I'm a Nazi sympathizer and a Jew lover. So I guess the left can have it all, that I'm a Jew-loving Nazi sympathizer. It's a really interesting place that I don't know if anybody's ever been.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201006070018

The author of the article that contains that quote notes the following regarding Beck's mock bewilderment and sense of victimization:
I'd like to point out a few things to Beck here.

First of all, you don't get to play like you don't even really remember what book you were talking about. You told everyone that you spent all of Thursday night reading it, and you were praising it to the skies on Friday as an early example of the sort of communist documentation you yourself claim to be currently undertaking: "This is a book -- and I'm a getting a ton of these -- from people who were doing what we're doing now. We now are documenting who all of these people are. Well, there were Americans in the first 50 years of this nation that took this seriously, and they documented it." I mean, really, Glenn -- you held the book in your hand as you feted it:

Second, because you were so effusive in your praise for the book, you don't get to attack the author now that you've learned that she was a Nazi. And by the way, I'd avoid saying things like "I didn't look it up" before launching into such attacks, because it was quite clearly that sort of incuriousness and recklessness that got you into this mess into the first place.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Check this out. Sounds like Iran wants to be the first to kick if off.
http://www.debka.com/article/8842/

Adam

Post by Adam »

More validation of what you have been saying John! Here is a quote from a North Korean that illustrates thier collective delusion that war is the solution to their problems.
"Others were more skeptical of the government’s propaganda, but still cast war as an inevitability. 'We always wait for the invasion,' said one former primary school teacher. 'My son says he wishes the war would come because life is too hard, and we will probably die anyway from starvation.'"
Here is the article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/world ... wanted=all

John

Post by John »

Adam wrote:More validation of what you have been saying John! Here is a quote from a North Korean that illustrates thier collective delusion that war is the solution to their problems.
"Others were more skeptical of the government’s propaganda, but still cast war as an inevitability. 'We always wait for the invasion,' said one former primary school teacher. 'My son says he wishes the war would come because life is too hard, and we will probably die anyway from starvation.'"
Here is the article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/world ... wanted=all

Those are two very good articles, Adam, one on Korea and one on the Mideast. The tension is growing in both places.

That Debka report on Iran sending ships to break the Gaza blockade is interesting, but I can't seem to find much confirmation in the mainstream media, so I tend to be a bit suspicious of it. It may be just bluster by Ahmadinejad, who is very good at bluster.

However, if the Debka report DOES turn out to be true, we should be seeing some real fireworks within a couple of days.

I've been out of touch most of today, but I see that the Dow went up 273 points. This undoubtedly caused wild cheering among the financial pundits on CNBC today, but these wild swings are very ominous. Day traders really love this high volatility, because they're basically gamblers at heart, but it would take only a major piece of bad news to cause a major plunge.

John

John

Post by John »

The reason that I've been out of touch most of this week is because I've been in Orlando receiving an award for the paper I submitted last year to the Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) Leading Edge Forum Papers competition. I wrote about this award a couple of months ago in the Web Log. This is the paper:

"International business forecasting using System Dynamics with generational flows."
http://www.GenerationalDynamics.com/ww2 ... asting.pdf

This award is a major validation of the Generational Dynamics theory, so I'm quite excited about it.

I got my pictured taken with the Chairman and CEO of CSC. Hopefully, I'll get a copy of the picture that I can post. I'll be returning home in the morning.

John

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

John wrote:I've been out of touch most of this week is because I've been in Orlando receiving an award for the paper I submitted last year to the Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) Leading Edge Forum Papers competition.

John
Congratulations! You have every right to be proud of your accomplishments.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”