20-Jun-16 World View -- Historic Orthodox Christian gathering in Crete exposes sharp divisions

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

20-Jun-16 World View -- Historic Orthodox Christian gathering in Crete exposes sharp divisions

Post by John »

History of Catholic and Orthodox Christian 'Ecumenical' Councils

** 20-Jun-16 World View -- Historic Orthodox Christian gathering in Crete exposes sharp divisions
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e160620

Contents:
Orthodox 'Great and Holy Council' marred by defections and controversies
History of Catholic and Orthodox Christian 'Ecumenical' Councils

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Orthodox Christianity,
Great and Holy Council, GHC, Seventh Ecumenical Council,
Patriarch Bartholomew I, Constantinople, Istanbul,
Patriarch Kirill, Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine, Crimea,
Nicolai Lenin, Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov,
Caesar Flavius Constantine, Rome, Oriental Orthodox Christianity,
iconoclast, iconophile, Charlie Hebdo, Islam, Crusades,
Society of St. Pius X, SSPX, Pope John Paul, Pope Francis

Re: 20-Jun-16 World View -- Historic Orthodox Christian gathering in Crete exposes sharp divisions

Post by Guest »

Could the Russians engineer a split of the Orthodox Church? Russia is all about power politics. The Russian Orthodox Church has been one of Putin's tools since he came into power.

I can see the Church splitting as follows: Greece, Albania, Macedonia, Ukraine, Romania, Georgia, Cyprus going with the Patriarch in Constantinople.

Russia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, and the Copts.

John

Re: 20-Jun-16 World View -- Historic Orthodox Christian gathering in Crete exposes sharp divisions

Post by John »

Guest wrote: > Could the Russians engineer a split of the Orthodox Church? Russia
> is all about power politics. The Russian Orthodox Church has been
> one of Putin's tools since he came into power.

> I can see the Church splitting as follows: Greece, Albania,
> Macedonia, Ukraine, Romania, Georgia, Cyprus going with the
> Patriarch in Constantinople.

> Russia, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, and the Copts.
My reading is that the Russians would never agree to anything like
this. What they want is to be in charge of everything, to be
recognized as the "Third Rome," to be the head of all Orthodox
churches.

Post by Guest »

I remember the Patriarch saying "no more Russian monks on Mount Athos" 15 years ago. He knows the Russians are trying to muscle in on him.

I also know that most of the other Orthodox churches do not want to be under Russia. How would Russia treat Orthodox Albanians, Ukrainians, Georgians, and Romanians? Even Greeks? Russians aren't big on charm. They would behave in their typically obnoxious way. How could Orthodox Christians tolerate that? They wouldn't!

I see a split, de facto or official. The Russians and Serbs will blame the Patriarch in Constantinople, but everyone will know otherwise.