7-Oct-14 World View -- U.S. military uses Apaches in Iraq

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

7-Oct-14 World View -- U.S. military uses Apaches in Iraq

Post by John »

7-Oct-14 World View -- U.S. military expands war in Iraq with Apache Helicopters

Ebola expected to reach France and Britain within three weeks

** 7-Oct-14 World View -- U.S. military expands war in Iraq with Apache Helicopters
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e141007

Contents:
U.S. military expands war in Iraq with Apache Helicopters
Thousands of villagers in Kashmir flee India-Pakistan clashes
Ebola expected to reach France and Britain within three weeks
Liberia and Sierra Leone introduce School by Radio

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Iraq, Apache AH-64,
Islamic State / of Iraq and Syria/Sham/the Levant, IS, ISIS, ISIL,
Pakistan, India, Kashmir, Line of Control, LoC,
Spain, Ebola, France, Britain, Belgium, West Africa,
Guinea, Liberace, Cote d'Ivoire, Syria, Iraq

MarvyGuy

Re: 7-Oct-14 World View -- U.S. military uses Apaches in Ira

Post by MarvyGuy »

http://apnews.myway.com/article/2014100 ... c.html[url][/url]

AP report. Looks like Turkey is letting the Kurds bear the brunt and asking someone else to do the rest no fly zone etc etc. Doesn't Turkey have an air force laying around they could use (when Syria isn't shooting one of the down anyway). I can only deduce they are hanging back to let the Kurds get hammered. Wonder if ISIL will stop there? Airpower is pretty good at stopping stuff makes me wonder how invested in this the Admin really is. Looks like they are doing a few things for the world stage but not really into it (so everyone get some live fire training).

John

Post by John »

MarvyGuy wrote:http://apnews.myway.com/article/2014100 ... c.html[url][/url]

AP report. Looks like Turkey is letting the Kurds bear the brunt and asking someone else to do the rest no fly zone etc etc. Doesn't Turkey have an air force laying around they could use (when Syria isn't shooting one of the down anyway). I can only deduce they are hanging back to let the Kurds get hammered. Wonder if ISIL will stop there? Airpower is pretty good at stopping stuff makes me wonder how invested in this the Admin really is. Looks like they are doing a few things for the world stage but not really into it (so everyone get some live fire training).

It's been obvious for a couple of days that Kobani is about to fall to
ISIS, but what's surprising is that Erdogan is admitting it, just a
couple of days after saying that Turkey's military would keep it from
falling. The fall of Kobani is as significant as the fall of Baghdad
would be. Meanwhile, the US air strikes no longer have any noticeable
effect at all. Deploying the Apaches was a move of desperation that's
too little too late. Events in the Mideast have been moving rapidly
in the last few months, and they're about to move even more rapidly.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Well, the air strikes were never meant to be more than symbolic. Even now, most Americans don't want another war and this is a feel-good gesture to try and convince others that we're actually doing something, even though the strikes have been little more than pinpricks. With 30,000 ISIS fighters in Iraq and 50,000 in Syria, killing a few hundred makes little difference.

During the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, about 80 percent of our aircraft losses were helicopters; what are we going to do if they shoot one down and kill/capture the crew?

I've been hearing from multiple people that Turkey has the strongest military in the Middle East, that ISIS would never dare cross their borders, but it looks like they're doing just that. You said that events in the Middle East are moving faster than over, which could mean that Turkey and other countries in the Middle East may end up deploying ground troops whether we give them any significant support or not.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Given the insistence of the Iraqi (crap, just as soon say Iran, it's the truth, and I'm not Biden that has to apologize for the truth) government about "foreign troops" (except for Iranians) on their soil, allowing ISIL to come across the Turkish border is genius. It gives the Turkish army freedom to beat the crap out of ISIL and I do assure you that will happen. If they allow them to kill enough Turks before retaliating, you might well wind up with Baghdad as the start of the new Turkish caliphate. Which is fine by me, though the Iranians would pull their beards out at the thought.

The spread of Ebola in the USA is unlikely in the extreme, the panic over Ebola is much more likely to kill large numbers of people. If a couple of million are dying in Africa by the end of February, we are very likely to get political pressure to do some very unwise things - and the list of bad responses to a nearly nonexistant disease threat is endless.