18-Sep-14 World View-Will Ebola become a worldwide pandemic?

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

18-Sep-14 World View-Will Ebola become a worldwide pandemic?

Post by John »

18-Sep-14 World View -- Will Ebola become a worldwide pandemic?

John Kerry's testimony before the Senate: 1971 and Today

** 18-Sep-14 World View -- Will Ebola become a worldwide pandemic?
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e140918

Contents:
Will Ebola become a worldwide pandemic?
John Kerry's testimony before the Senate: 1971 and Today

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Ebola, Liberia, John Kerry

DavidCl

Re: 18-Sep-14 World View-Will Ebola become a worldwide pande

Post by DavidCl »

Have you seen this article which includes information about the reproduction rates of the current strain of the ebola virus?

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/r0-ebola/

It most likely will not spread out of sub-Saharan Africa, but it will be devastating there.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

And I once thought Hilary was bad. At the time, I thought: "How can there be anyone worse?" Never ask a question you don't really want an answer to. That's not even including what it says about the man who appointed him.

What I've been reading about Ebola is that it is out of control and the rate of increase seems to be that the number of cases is doubling roughly every month. Now assuming that trend line, we would have about 55,000 reported cases by the end of this year. Of course, this is just a rough estimate and could change at any time. It depends on the level of resources we use to combat this plague and what the local governments do in response.

The biggest problem is, quite frankly, panic. I wouldn't be in the least surprised to hear that the total number of cases is double what has been recorded or even more. People don't want to go to hospitals, fearing that they would be in more danger, or just unable to get care because they're being overwhelmed. Conspiracy theories are widespread that the western countries are responsible for this. Many health care workers may be dead, but another obstacle they face is just that plenty of people aren't willing to go near this disease regardless of precautions because they're just too terrified of it. It's hard to blame them, honestly.

I've read "The Hot Zone" over a dozen times which describe the Ebola outbreaks in the past and it was mentioned towards the end of the book that one day, this disease could mutate and become much more widespread instead of being confined to a few villages. For individuals that worked with patients during the prior outbreaks, this is a nightmare becoming real.

NoOneImportant

Post by NoOneImportant »

John wrote:
John Kerry has expressed nothing but contempt for the US Army his entire life. He reaffirmed his 1971 testimony when he appeared on the Imus show in 2006, and in that time frame he said that US soldiers are stupid.

For John Kerry to be U.S. Secretary of State is a travesty and an insult to all Americans. The only thing that qualifies him for this or any government job is that his boss shares his attitudes.
Comments, and analysis that fit Kerry to a Tee.

And now, let me see if I have this right -- apparently -- Kerry, as Secretary of State, doesn't hesitate to advocate the use of US military forces in various capacities, and locations, almost where ever he goes? Hummm... is this not the very same military that Kerry vilified for decades, and now he wants to use them in half-baked foreign adventures, almost everywhere? Is this not the same military that Kerry spent his entire Senatorial career attempting to the kill military appropriations for, to kill military weapons systems development, to kill military weapons system production, to kill military nuclear deterrence, and finally didn't he spent his entire career in the Senate attempting to reduce military man-power to a level that brings the adequate defense of America into serious question? Should John Kerry have had his way while serving in the Senate, American soldiers would long ago have been reduced to throwing rocks.

Get a good look -- this is what a President John Kerry will look like. For make no mistake, he will be running in 2016. Were treason still actionable in America, IMO, John Kerry would be the third person indicted.

NoOneImportant

Post by NoOneImportant »

Why don't we send Kerry to Liberia, and a couple of others too... just a bit of wishful thinking.

psCargile

Post by psCargile »

Yeah, I was surprised when Kerry was made Secretary of State, then I stepped out of the rational world and said, "Oh that makes sense."

Tom Mazanec

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Ahhh, people...have you read the New York Times (which is not a woo-woo publication) article listed in the thread I started Sep 13 on the H1N1 Swine Flu forum? It was so important I started a new thread rather than adding to an old one. If I read it correctly, not only African Megacities are the danger of Ebola. Strains of Ebola have, at least twice, mutated into versions which spread among monkeys via air transmission...the way Influenza spreads. The number of cases radically increases the possibility of this occurring with the current outbreak...for humans.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

psCargile

Post by psCargile »

"I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

gerald

Post by gerald »

Tom Mazanec wrote:Ahhh, people...have you read the New York Times (which is not a woo-woo publication) article listed in the thread I started Sep 13 on the H1N1 Swine Flu forum? It was so important I started a new thread rather than adding to an old one. If I read it correctly, not only African Megacities are the danger of Ebola. Strains of Ebola have, at least twice, mutated into versions which spread among monkeys via air transmission...the way Influenza spreads. The number of cases radically increases the possibility of this occurring with the current outbreak...for humans.
Re: 9-Sep-14 World View -- Ukraine,ISIS risk Russia's Caucas
Postby gerald » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Ebola transmission -- There may be another overlooked vector for Ebola transmission,-- the mosquito.

Malaria site map of Africa http://www.malariasite.com/malaria/africa.htm

Transmission of malaria " Center for Disease Control and Prevention" http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

"When a mosquito bites an infected person, a small amount of blood is taken in which contains microscopic malaria parasites. About 1 week later, when the mosquito takes its next blood meal, these parasites mix with the mosquito's saliva and are injected into the person being bitten."

According to the above map, The current Ebola outbreaks overlap many West Africa Malaria areas. Ebola may just be getting started.

hmmm --- again hmmmm

NoOneImportant

Post by NoOneImportant »

psCargile wrote:
I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."]
Not sure who is being quoted in your comment?