4-Mar-14 World View --Russia prepares Ukraine war

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

4-Mar-14 World View --Russia prepares Ukraine war

Post by John »

4-Mar-14 World View -- West discusses sanctions, as Russia prepares for war in Ukraine

Israel's Netanyahu rebukes Obama over Mideast peace process

** 4-Mar-14 World View -- West discusses sanctions, as Russia prepares for war in Ukraine
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e140304

Contents:
More on the 'Autonomous State of Crimea'
West discusses sanctions, as Russia prepares for war in Ukraine
Israel's Netanyahu rebukes Obama over Mideast peace process
Is the United States really no different than Russia?

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Ukraine, Autonomous State of Crimea,
Russia, South Ossetia, Palestine, Mahmoud Abbas,
Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, Gaza

Trevor

Re: 4-Mar-14 World View --Russia prepares Ukraine war

Post by Trevor »

However tempting this might be to blame it all on Obama, you really can't. Romney may have tried to sound the alarm about Putin, but what could he do differently? The overwhelming attitude in America right now is "Let the world take care of itself; we've got enough problems at home."

And at the moment, Putin's hinting that he may not stop just at the Crimea. There's been little difficulty for him so far, and it looks very tempting to grab the eastern half of Ukraine, especially since even though they're mobilizing, they haven't actually done anything to stop him just yet. The United States is perceived as weak at the moment, probably rightfully so.

I know this shouldn't surprise me, but it does. I looked through the previous comments on Breitbart, both on your page and others, and found that a surprising number of people are actually supporting Putin's actions. A lot of the arguments were stating that Putin is simply protecting fellow Russians from discrimination and violent in Ukraine. I wonder how many of them realize that this is the same justification Hitler used in order to grab the Sudetenland.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Arguing that Obama should "do something" about the Crimea simply ignores the facts on the ground. And the facts are these, that any fight with Russia over their bullying of the former satellites is fighting Russia at home, while everyone else (except China of course) is at the end of supply chains thousands of miles long. The military option is simply impossible, as Britain quickly learned during their Crimean War - the true victors in that war were the Ottoman Turks, and we don't have an Ottoman Empire sitting in the Crimea now.

Interestingly enough, the Russians are backing down against the threat of sanctions from Europe, not the US. The US doesn't have that much trade with Russia, but Europe does, and they started backing down immediately after the British indicated sanctions against Russian goods were coming.

Post by Guest »

What the last few days have shown is how weak Russia's economy really is. Spring is here, the need (regardless of current demand) for natural gas will drop sharply as the weather warms up. I think threats from the US still carry weight. I wouldn't declare America completely dead, yet. Russia is still a train wreck.

I wouldn't consider Russia's control of the Crimea complete. 45% of the population is non-Russian, and most of those people do not want to be part of fascist Russia. Add to that 300,000 Crimean Tatars arming themselves inside the Crimea along with dozens of Ukrainian military posts that refuse to surrender, and you can see that Russia still has a lot to worry about.

Russia's army is weak. It is obsolete, poorly trained, badly feed, and poorly lead. NATO could easily jam their communications. NATO could supply, or "allow" weapons to flow across Ukraine's vast borders. The Russians could see their air force devastated by shoulder fired missiles. The Chechens only had two Strelas, and they shot down two Russian combat aircraft. A ground war would be costly to the Russians.

Wild cards: The Kavkaz explodes. What will Russia do then? Send Russian troops to all of the Republics in the North Kavkaz?

The oil pipelines are destroyed in the Crimea-good luck getting oil to Europe. The oil revenues will go to.

Russia's fragile (yes, fragile) economy implodes.

Foreign volunteers: Yes, they will flood into Ukraine (for their own varied reasons and from a myriad of countries), but I expect thousands (if not more than that) to join the fray. Think Syria in Europe.

Putin's intercontinental missile test was a sign of fear and weakness.