20-Feb-14 World View -- Ukraine president fires army chief

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

20-Feb-14 World View -- Ukraine president fires army chief

Post by John »

20-Feb-14 World View -- Ukraine's president fires the chief of the army amid protest crisis

George Soros bets that Wall Street is headed for a fall

** 20-Feb-14 World View -- Ukraine's president fires the chief of the army amid protest crisis
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e140220

Contents:
Ukraine's president fires the chief of the army amid protest crisis
Two suicide bombings target Iran's cultural center in Beirut Lebanon
George Soros bets that Wall Street is headed for a fall

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Ukraine, Kiev, Viktor Yanukovich,
Volodymyr Zamana, Yuriy Ilyin, Reuben F. Johnson,
Iran, Hezbollah, Syria, Bashar al-Assad, Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah,
Abdullah Azzam Brigades, Ali Hussein Bin Ali brigades,
George Soros

dadelaw

Re: 20-Feb-14 World View -- Ukraine president fires army chi

Post by dadelaw »

""the S&P 500 ETF SPY," which pays when the S&P 500 falls." Wrong. that's not what SPY does. It's the puts that gain value.

John

Post by John »

dadelaw wrote:""the S&P 500 ETF SPY," which pays when the S&P 500 falls." Wrong. that's not what SPY does. It's the puts that gain value.
Thanks for the correction. I changed the paragraph. I hope I have it right
this time.

John

shoshin

Post by shoshin »

Soros bought he puts a while ago...and remember, this could simply be a hedge against other bullish bets he's making. I doubt he "bet the farm" on a crash....

John

Post by John »

shoshin wrote: > Soros bought he puts a while ago...and remember, this could simply
> be a hedge against other bullish bets he's making. I doubt he "bet
> the farm" on a crash....
This whole story is interesting, because there are a number of
mainstream news stories that are reporting this, such as the Market
Watch story that I referenced, always with a caution towards the end
that it might simply be a hedge. Soros has a reputation for making
investments that are destructive to the market for his own personal
gain, and if even a small body of investors suspect that he's doing it
again, then a stock market fall might become a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

There have been thousands of articles speculating on the "cause" of
the 1929 crash. It would be interesting if Soros were blamed for this
one.

Post by Guest »

I read an interview with a retired SBU general from the Ukraine. He said that the Ukrainian army is as divided as the nation, and that it was uncertain what would happen if the ramshackle Ukrainian army was given the order to attack the population.

Well, I think the Russians will follow the old tried and true method of using paramilitary groups made up of ethnic Russians from the Ukraine (and Russia), Cossack units (which will be sent by the Russian government), and "volunteer" units that are nothing more than regular Russian army units to attack the Ukrainian population. The Serbs did it in the Yugoslav wars, and the Russians did it in the Kavkaz (often backing local ethnic puppet warlords with very small numbers of native troops and a vast number of Russian soldiers). These units will not hesitate to inflict mass murder, mass rape, and mass torture on the population.

The EU response will be interesting. Most likely, the EU will do nothing. Just like in Croatia and Bosnia.

I hope, for the Ukrainians' sake, that they have weapons stashed away to defend themselves (unlike the virtually defenseless Bosnian Muslims). NO ONE will come and save the Ukrainians. The Ukrainians had better fight hard.

The Russians are not very good soldiers. They really are not. But they have just spent the last 20 years outnumbering and outgunning there lightly armed and out numbered opponents. The Ukraine could be different. It depends how many tanks and heavy weapons the nationalists can get their hands on.

The Serbs are very poor soldiers. Croatia and Bosnia showed what happened to the Serbs whenever they faced even relatively well-armed Bosnians and Croats towards the end of the war: the Serbs were defeated. I think it will be the same for the Russians

I wouldn't be surprised if Serb paramilitaries showed up in the Ukraine fighting on the Russian side; I really wouldn't be.