25-Dec-13 World View -- Bethlehem celebrates midnight mass

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

25-Dec-13 World View -- Bethlehem celebrates midnight mass

Post by John »

25-Dec-13 World View -- Bethlehem celebrates Roman Catholic midnight mass on Christmas eve

Saudi Arabia student campaign to stop misuse of Mohammed's name

** 25-Dec-13 World View -- Bethlehem celebrates Roman Catholic midnight mass on Christmas eve
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e131225

Contents:
Web site appears to have been fixed
Bethlehem celebrates Roman Catholic midnight mass on Christmas eve
Saudi Arabia student campaign to stop misuse of Mohammed's name

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Network Solutions, web.com,
Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Mahmoud Abbas, Catherine Ashton,
Saudi Arabia, Mohammed

solomani

Re: 25-Dec-13 World View -- Bethlehem celebrates midnight ma

Post by solomani »

Hmm does the use of Mohammed in this way indicate a loss of belief among the younger generation? Or at least disillusionment with Islam?

Post by Guest »

solomani wrote:Hmm does the use of Mohammed in this way indicate a loss of belief among the younger generation? Or at least disillusionment with Islam?

It sounds to me more like a term of resentment against Muslim guest workers who work in Saudi Arabia. SA has millions of immigrants working in every sector of the economy. Some Saudis feel that they have lost out to them.

solomani

Post by solomani »

ahh I see. So more a racist thing then. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

solomani wrote:ahh I see. So more a racist thing then. Thanks.
Not necessarily. Many of the guest workers are arab. (Unless you believe that any resentment towards immigrants is inherently racist.)

solomani

Post by solomani »

No, I don't. Thanks for the info.

gerald

Post by gerald »

Is the use of Mohammed's name similar to the use of Jesus Christ in the pejorative sense? as when something goes wrong, someone says "Jesus Christ"?

Post by Guest »

gerald wrote:Is the use of Mohammed's name similar to the use of Jesus Christ in the pejorative sense? as when something goes wrong, someone says "Jesus Christ"?
It doesn't seem to me that it is being used like that (but I could be wrong). In Bermuda, the locals refer to guest workers from the Caribbean as "jump ups". And Russians are sometimes called "Ivans" . I think it is more like that. I don't believe there is any religious connotation.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
gerald wrote:Is the use of Mohammed's name similar to the use of Jesus Christ in the pejorative sense? as when something goes wrong, someone says "Jesus Christ"?
It doesn't seem to me that it is being used like that (but I could be wrong). In Bermuda, the locals refer to guest workers from the Caribbean as "jump ups". And Russians are sometimes called "Ivans" . I think it is more like that. I don't believe there is any religious connotation.
I would like to add that I think the lack of religious connotation is the problem: Saudis have started to use the name of the revered Prophet in a secular and derogatory way. The Islamic religious authorities naturally are horrified by this development. (Just as Christian Clergy would be about the use of Jesus' name or the Jews-who so revere God they spell his name like this: G_d. ) I don't think the response by Muslim clergy is all that unusual.