20-Jul-12 WV-Israel promises retaliation against Iran

Discussion of Web Log and Analysis topics from the Generational Dynamics web site.
John

20-Jul-12 WV-Israel promises retaliation against Iran

Post by John »

20-Jul-12 World View -- Israel promises retaliation against Iran for Bulgaria bombing

Capital One fined $150 million for credit card fraud

** 20-Jul-12 World View -- Israel promises retaliation against Iran for Bulgaria bombing
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi ... 20#e120720

Contents:
Violence increases in Damascus Syria, as Assad stays out of sight
U.S. threatens to act independently after acrimonious U.N. vote on Syria
Capital One fined $150 million for credit card fraud
Israel promises retaliation against Iran for Bulgaria bombing

Keys:
Generational Dynamics, Damascus, Syria, Bashar al-Assad,
Turkey, Lebanon, United Nations Security Council,
Russia, Vitaly Churkin, Susan Rice, Mark Lyall Grant,
Gerard Araud, France, Britain, Israel,
Bulgaria, Stuxnet, Capital One

mannfm11

Re: 20-Jul-12 WV-Israel promises retaliation against Iran

Post by mannfm11 »

John, I did take the Capital One insurance once. I pay those cards off every month and I took it only under the promise that only a balance carried over would be charged a fee. Sure enough, it was tacked onto the first balance and I immediately called and the fee was taken off and the coverage removed. I took it under the idea that it was unlikely I would ever carry a balance unless I was disabled and that to that point, wouldn't be charged. They clearly lied to me or misled me into agreeing to it and had I not been vigilant in watching the charges, I would have been paying roughly a 12% annual discount on everything I bought. People that add this to the already excessive fees charged on these cards can easily be paying 40% of their balance in fees if they carry balances and thus carry balances that can never be paid.

As far as other financial news. I got this off Doug Noland's Credit Bubble Bulletin, put out by Bloomberg. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, but the bankers and Wall Streeters are at it again, peddling mortgage backed real estate bonds in excess of the value of the properties.

July 17 – Bloomberg (Sarah Mulholland): “Landlords are piling the most debt onto commercial properties in five years as Wall Street banks bundle the loans into bonds to meet rising demand from investors seeking high yields amid record-low interest rates. The size of mortgages bundled into bonds will surpass 100% of building values for the first time since 2007, before the market shut down amid the worst financial crisis in seven decades, according to Moody’s… That measure of leverage on loans tied to everything from skyscrapers to strip malls is poised to climb 4.3 percentage points this quarter… Lenders are offering larger loans to win business as borrowers look to pay off a wave of debt taken out during the real estate bubble and as yield-starved investors are pushed toward riskier assets. More generous mortgages, a boon for landlords who need to refinance debt, may fuel concern that banks are reverting to practices that led to record defaults as late payments rise above 10%.”

http://prudentbear.com/index.php/credit ... t_id=10687

John

Re: 20-Jul-12 WV-Israel promises retaliation against Iran

Post by John »

mannfm11 wrote: > John, I did take the Capital One insurance once. I pay those
> cards off every month and I took it only under the promise that
> only a balance carried over would be charged a fee. Sure enough,
> it was tacked onto the first balance and I immediately called and
> the fee was taken off and the coverage removed.
Tsk, tsk. Too bad, Barry, you've screwed yourself out of a big
settlement check when the case is settled ... errr ... ten years from
now.

Here's the link to the Bloomberg article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-1 ... rkets.html

Banks are offering larger and larger loans because they need people to
lend money to, and borrowers are borrowing the money to refinance
"bubble era loans" as they come due. Meanwhile, late payments on
loans are rising to 10.1%. However, not to worry. It's not insanity,
'cause this time it's different.

John