ER Wait times

Learning about and preparing for what now appears to be the "Great H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic of 2009"
widestaringeyes

ER Wait times

Post by widestaringeyes »

In the event there ever is a pandemic that spreads rapidly or some CBR attack, our E.R.s could NEVER handle it. There are 9 major hospitals with a 25 mile area where I live. I have access to a website that displays the current workload for each of them. On any given day, usually 7 or 8 of them are in "Red" status. Red means at 100% capacity. Any ambulances that transport patients to a facility in Red status have to wait like everybody else (severity protocol). Basically, they are PACKED, on say, a Tuseday afternoon, for no apparent reason. And this is NORMAL. Now, granted, the vast majority in the E.R. are not life threatening emergencies and this is why they are so backed up. But my point is, even if Hospitals put 100% of their staff on duty, they could never come close to handling a major cirsis. Never. Not becuase of lack of talent, it is the volume they could never overcome. And if our hospitals are like this on a daily basis, Ican pretty much assume the rest are about the same.

sarahS4621

Re: ER Wait times

Post by sarahS4621 »

It's actually sad to say regardless of the outbreak we experience our ERs can't handle the pressure. Besides the fact that we are not adequately trained to handle such emergencies; there aren't enough doctors anymore to handle it. We are seeing a huge decline in the Medical school enrollment numbers and this is where we will suffer in the pandemic that breaks out.

johnleee

It's probably easier to panic

Post by johnleee »

It's probably easier to panic this time because other events seem to suggest that the whole world is going to go to hell either this summer, or sometime very shortly afterward. Depending on how bad this thing gets, it might be the trigger for a major international war. Trust me, it's fairly difficult not to panic here.

Ayan1

Re: ER Wait times

Post by Ayan1 »

for no apparent reason. And this is NORMAL. Now, granted, the vast majority in the E.R. are not life threatening emergencies and this is why they are so backed up.