Financial topics

Investments, gold, currencies, surviving after a financial meltdown
Trevor

Re: Financial topics

Post by Trevor »

Another component of that angle that I've heard are mercy killings. If you have a horribly wounded man and it's unlikely that they'll be able to save him, there were times where they were shot rather than have them suffer enormous pain before they died later. Of course, I've heard those stories about every war, not just WWII.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Trevor wrote:Another component of that angle that I've heard are mercy killings. If you have a horribly wounded man and it's unlikely that they'll be able to save him, there were times where they were shot rather than have them suffer enormous pain before they died later. Of course, I've heard those stories about every war, not just WWII.
That was part of what he seemed to imply happened when he talked about the war. He would say, "I'd look around and there'd be a head laying over here, an arm over there." Obviously there were some horribly wounded people that went along with that. The subject of his discussion in that case was there can't be a God because no God would allow that kind of suffering and when you're dead, you're dead. That was how the war altered his particular view.
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I remember talking to my grandparents about their WWII experiences. Course, the ones still alive then had not personally fought in it; they had just talked about the mentality of the time, the difficulties, the fear, etc.

Course, I have the feeling that I'll be telling war stories of my own one day.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

He only discussed this stuff in detail with me when he knew he was dying. And I think the only reason with me in particular was because he had disowned his kids because in his words, "It costs me 50 bucks to say hello."
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

John

Post by John »

Higgenbotham wrote:He only discussed this stuff in detail with me when he knew he was dying. And I think the only reason with me in particular was because he had disowned his kids because in his words, "It costs me 50 bucks to say hello."
The law recognizes dying declarations as likely to be truthful.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

He only discussed this stuff in detail with me when he knew he was dying. And I think the only reason with me in particular was because he had disowned his kids because in his words, "It costs me 50 bucks to say hello."
I think that's part of Generational Dynamics, with the Hero Generation growing old lonely and estranged from their children.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Higgenbotham wrote: Two things I remember. One, he told me they killed their own soldiers that they deemed useless and a threat to the group (unable to pull their weight).
When you originally made the statement above it sounded like the opposite of fragging. Fragging when you are in the military, refers to killing an officer, usually a commissioned officer, and usually one who is leading you in combat. Very specific meaning and very well understood.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

He married a woman 32 years younger than him after he had his stroke. She got his military benefits when he died and took care of him until he died. He bought her a trailer and she lived in a trailer park a couple miles away. So, yeah, he was lonely and instead of mailing me the rent check he liked for me to come over and talk for awhile. I never thought about it at the time but sitting around partly immobilized and going over all those horrors in your mind would be a hell of a way to go.

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

Reality Check wrote:
Higgenbotham wrote: Two things I remember. One, he told me they killed their own soldiers that they deemed useless and a threat to the group (unable to pull their weight).
When you originally made the statement above it sounded like the opposite of fragging. Fragging when you are in the military, refers to killing an officer, usually a commissioned officer, and usually one who is leading you in combat. Very specific meaning and very well understood.
I'd never heard of fragging before today, but this is the part that applies, as I heard it from him:

"The killing generally followed a cold reckoning by the men in the unit that...was a danger to them."

Not that it was a person of higher rank. He didn't tell me that. And he didn't tell me it was higher ups going after men of lower rank either. The way I heard from him, it was soldiers killing fellow soldiers for the reason stated in the quote and killing them during battle.

So maybe there is no reference I can find that fits exactly, or verifies exactly what he said happened.

jcsok

Post by jcsok »

Getting the thread back to financial topics,....Higgenbotham, do you have an opinion of whether a person should buy PMs at this level?

In discussing the merits with some interested people, I'm blind as to whether we face printing (hyperinflation) by US and EU, or massive deflation as John relates. In 2008 when AIG blew up, I expected the FED to print more $$, which it has, to inflate the dollar. However, with all the printing as this point, we haven't seen significant inflation in hard assets, although gold and silver have certainly been on a ride. But when the EU blows up, the dollar should get stronger for a time, depressing PM's. In any event, if the world were to return to the dark ages, PM's could well hold their value relative to other goods, because no more mining would be done, and I think PM's would be recognized as a universal store of value. Of course, I advised that if someone wants to invest in gold or silver, take physical possession, not a warehouse receipt or stored in a bank vault.