Financial topics

Investments, gold, currencies, surviving after a financial meltdown
aedens

Re: Financial topics

Post by aedens »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/presentin ... ted-stocks

Basket diving...
people who still naively believe that there are traces of rationality and efficiency in a market that is broken beyond any slavage value and short the worst names out there, may be one of the few "strategies" that work

lightswitch and go from there since if it does not come when flipped you have a bigger problem

justintnbk12

Post by justintnbk12 »

Nice point right there. Numbers don't lie. I too a quick peek on the graph and the numbers aren't really that nice too look at. I just hope something will be done on this.

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

Got to admit, my first thought was "what odds would a London bookie demand against any of those going bankrupt in the next five years?".

jcsok

Post by jcsok »

Just can't resist selling new high in S&P. Short 25% ES at 1428.75. How much longer can the insanity continue? Europe is BROKE. US is BROKE. Virtually all states, counties, cities are BROKE. Massively underfunded pension plans. Inflation much higher than gov't reports. Continuing retail investors running from the stock market. HFT's trading against each other for volume. When a cardboard box filled with mice has a hole in the corner, and a cat is dropped in the box, a lot of the mice are going to be run over trying to get out.

aedens

Post by aedens »

How much longer can the insanity continue? Slow then all at once...
Attachments
earnings.png
earnings.png (155.84 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Last edited by aedens on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

I don't think there'll be a QE3. You can always cherry pick numbers and find something that looks good, and use that as the reason not to do it. The FED doesn't want to be audited, and they doubly don't want Congress delving into their operations deeply and in public. They aren't far from that and they well know it.

Article says the US health system charges 750 billion per year too much by adding unneeded services and otherwise running up costs. I seem to remember that being called "padding the bill".

http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Wa ... 845880.php

And a perfect illustration of a WWII vet who's still trucking on.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09 ... n-kentucky

Higgenbotham

Post by Higgenbotham »

jcsok wrote:Just can't resist selling new high in S&P. Short 25% ES at 1428.75. How much longer can the insanity continue?
I'm back to 100% short, meaning short up to my max last year. Been going in slow, slow, slow with the idea of getting to 200%. Average entry is 1409, so I went to loss today. I don't know how much longer the insanity can continue. Usually it can go on until most people don't find talking about shorting or talking about a stock market crash to be an interesting topic. But it's gone on much longer than that. All the best experts I know of have been wrong for weeks while the types who are usually wrong were calling for a higher market. This is starting to look like it could be some sort of a wave 2 top and so the answer to how long I suppose is longer than anyone thinks possible. How about a high into the Mayan "end of the world" calendar date? Would that fit the bill?
While the periphery breaks down rather slowly at first, the capital cities of the hegemon should collapse suddenly and violently.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

OLD1953 wrote: Article says the US health system charges 750 billion per year too much by adding unneeded services and otherwise running up costs. I seem to remember that being called "padding the bill".
One needs a translator when interpreting terms like "unneeded services" if the term is being used by a government employee in relation to health care.

I will give you one real world example.

Medicare is eliminating some of those "unneeded services". Medicare pays for palliative care for terminally ill patients to avoid the huge costs of actually trying to prolong the lives of the elderly when they have been diagnosed with a serious disease that is considered to likely be fatal within six months if not aggressively treated.

This palliative care is also known as Hospice care. Hospice care programs paid for by Medicare have just decided that terminally ill patients no longer "need" palliative care on weekends or on federal holidays. So if a patient enters his/her final days on a Friday they either die without care on the weekend, or put their fatal disease on hold until the next federal work day. This decision about the changing needs of the terminally ill came shortly after Medicare announced it would no longer pay hospice providers for services delivered on weekends or federal holidays.

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

The report is from the Institute of Medicine, which is independent and nonprofit. As to how independant the National Academy really is, I can't say. I do know I've seen a good bit of overkill in my own treatment over the years, and a few instances of simply not doing what needed to be done. A lot comes down to fear of malpractice suit, IOW, CYA. And it's not because people win very many malpractice suits, nor is it because they get sued very often, it's because they fear their rates going up. Malpractice insurance is mostly profit for the insurer, at least in the state of Tennesse. From what I understand (testimony by the state insurance comptroller), if rates were limited to 25% profit over outlay, the cost would drop by over half.

CEO gives his honest opinion of customers, probably regrets it. He's really building some brand loyalty there.

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/0 ... -fees?lite

Ryanair head Michael O'Leary called his customers "idiots" this week. The chief of the deep-discount, “gotcha”-dependent airline might be the first to say it, but he's hardly the first to think it.

aedens

Post by aedens »

I understand the last bump would perk up some activity. It caught me off guard also. Anyway, good luck since being balanced we make it either way up or down. Facts remain clear on some fronts. I had a errant thought map. They do not want full employment right now!

volatilities tend to trough in August and peak in October into a November election - only to fall once again from two-weeks before to one week after the election. The pattern is clear. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/real-elec ... ll-october
Attachments
m2moneyvelocity3.png
m2moneyvelocity3.png (13.53 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Last edited by aedens on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.