Financial topics

Investments, gold, currencies, surviving after a financial meltdown
OLD1953

Re: Financial topics

Post by OLD1953 »

Capital is not truly fungible, as much of it cannot easily cross national boundaries.

Looking at that list of jobs, many of those will be automated out of existence by 2040. An even more important matter is the lack of jobs for war construction. It's going to be a huge war and it will probably be a conventional war right up to the end when the nukes come out to avoid unconditional surrender. Another thing to note is that "protector of the environment" is not on the list. Those jobs were big on the lists in the 80's.

Question: How do we know if the FED and SEC are losing their grip?
Answer: When major negative economic news starts being reported at some time outside the frame of "Friday after markets close to early Sunday".

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

When it comes to war, I believe that the United States can win. However, it'll be far more difficult than fighting Japan and Germany was and we cannot assume that our oceans will protect us the way they have in the past. There's also the possibility of China deciding: "We don't have to win. All we have to do is make sure that they lose."

aedens

Post by aedens »

Question: How do we know if the FED and SEC are losing their grip?

http://us-code.vlex.com/vid/civil-forfe ... y-19190804

They already have.

http://www.carrollquigley.net/pdf/Tragedy_and_Hope.pdf
Last edited by aedens on Sat May 19, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

Trevor wrote:When it comes to war, I believe that the United States can win. However, it'll be far more difficult than fighting Japan and Germany was and we cannot assume that our oceans will protect us the way they have in the past. There's also the possibility of China deciding: "We don't have to win. All we have to do is make sure that they lose."
Exactly right. China doesn't have to win on the battlefield (too many think of war in terms of the old style of warfare with defined fronts and man to man fighting), they just have to defeat us economically and defeat our national morale. China desires to replace us as the world's global (economic) power and they have the means of doing so. Sure, we might win every military battle we fight with them, but in the end, they'll come out of the other side mostly unscathed while we will suffer tremendously. That is unless we truly go MAD and nuke them into oblivion, which I doubt we would do. Their country is too big for us to occupy, as is ours, and therefore, people need to consider that the looming war with China will not be as they imagine based on past wars.

JMHO.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

xakzen

Post by xakzen »

Not sure where to put this so move as you see fit John, but it is financial in nature and this is the most active thread:

http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/massive-frau ... s-happened

More than convincing proof of criminal banking on an institional level not only going un-procecuted/investigated but actually having law enforcement actively involved in the cover-up.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

thomasglee wrote:
Trevor wrote:When it comes to war, I believe that the United States can win. However, it'll be far more difficult than fighting Japan and Germany was and we cannot assume that our oceans will protect us the way they have in the past. There's also the possibility of China deciding: "We don't have to win. All we have to do is make sure that they lose."
Exactly right. China doesn't have to win on the battlefield (too many think of war in terms of the old style of warfare with defined fronts and man to man fighting), they just have to defeat us economically and defeat our national morale. China desires to replace us as the world's global (economic) power and they have the means of doing so. Sure, we might win every military battle we fight with them, but in the end, they'll come out of the other side mostly unscathed while we will suffer tremendously. That is unless we truly go MAD and nuke them into oblivion, which I doubt we would do. Their country is too big for us to occupy, as is ours, and therefore, people need to consider that the looming war with China will not be as they imagine based on past wars.

JMHO.
I was referring more to the idea that if they're losing the war militarily, they may decide that if they're not able to win, they'll inflict as much damage as they possibly can. They can decide that if they can't win, they can at least make sure that we lose, which would likely involve a massive nuclear strike.

thomasglee

Post by thomasglee »

Trevor wrote:
thomasglee wrote:

JMHO.
I was referring more to the idea that if they're losing the war militarily, they may decide that if they're not able to win, they'll inflict as much damage as they possibly can. They can decide that if they can't win, they can at least make sure that we lose, which would likely involve a massive nuclear strike.
I understand your POV and agree, but more likely, they just want to badly cripple us more than they want to destroy us. A crippled US still provides them with some value. I believe the Chinese KNOW they can't beat us, and as such, if/when they make their strike against us, it will be a quick and decisive move that, IMHO, will be more financial strike than military. However, there will be financial strikes more likely aimed at places like Chicago, DC and NYC in an attempt to put our country into political and financial chaos.
Psalm 34:4 - “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.”

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Never underestimate the power of human delusion. Japan attacked us when victory was impossible, the south attacked the north, Napoleon invaded Russia, and so on and so on. I would actually expect the war to start out slowly. The Chinese would believe that we would easily give in and wouldn't have the stomach for a long war. On our side, we'd think that an American victory would be easy. I've talked to numerous people and that seems to be the underlying assumption, that even if they did attack us, we would easily win.

OLD1953

Post by OLD1953 »

A lot will depend on timing. And there are five war arenas now, not three as there were in WWII. They are Land, Sea, Air, Space and Cyber. And we have attacks on that Cyber front from multiple nations on a daily basis. These are more in the nature of probes than actual all out attacks, but they certainly want to know where our weaknesses are. Years back, an Information Assurance Security Officer asked me how many probes we had into a certain network on a daily basis. I asked her to define probe, warned her that this definition would include any attempt to enter that wasn't authorized, and then gave her a number. She about passed out. I'll just say that it was a lot more than she expected, by several orders of magnitude. I'm certain it is much higher now.

It is impossible for China to defeat the US militarily and invade the continental US, at this time. What they want is for the US to back off and allow the establishment of a much larger Chinese imperial dominion, to include all the nations that touch on the South China Sea. These countries would become puppets in the same way that North Korea is a Chinese puppet. If this was allowed to happen, China would be able to extract vast resources from this area and become a real rival to the US in every way.

Trevor

Post by Trevor »

It's why their neighbors are moving closer to our sphere. They may not like us, but they like the idea of a Chinese-dominated world even less. I wouldn't doubt, though, that even if they're ahead, we're launching probing attacks against them as well. Course, we'd never admit it and neither would they; it'd make them look weak. I've even written something on this scenario.