Welcome to the Generational Dynamics Forum!

Start here, say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
mannfm11

Re: Welcome to the Generational Dynamics Forum!

Post by mannfm11 »

My name is Barry and I am from the Dallas area. I am in my early 50's (really mid 50's) which is why I am so argumentative. I have a degree in finance and have studied markets for years. I have subscribed to cycles like Robert Prechters Elliott wave principal and have studied the ideas behind what causes depressions. It is clear to me that continued debt build up causes depressions, as the creation of one persons debt becomes another persons money and another persons savings creates another persons debt. I don't know which cycle it goes in, the chicken or the egg theory, but the game has to go on once a certain level of debt is reached. I don't know that the last generation retiring caused this mess we are in, as it is my belief that had they decided to quit in the 1990's at any time, we would have had a depression. We almost had one in the late 1980's and Japan went into a funk. It is clear that the cycle runs in a life time pattern as John proposes and that the point in the economic cycle creates the generation and maybe the reverse as well. Prechter moves along the same lines. This is one of my favorite sites and though I don't post here every day, I show up to read what John puts on the home page most days. I think most of his stuff is very timely and much of it well framed. I believe the ideas surrounding war appear to be really right on. I never have figured out what would cause a generation or a country go to war and fight a battle like D-Day or Gettysburg. Walking into the line of fire like that over the dead bodies in front of you, quite often helpless to shoot at what is shooting at you just don't make sense. There has to be that genocidal tendency built up to go into something like that. In fact, there has to be a suicidal tendency as well.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Well, hello there. My real first name is Samuel, but I prefer to be called Sam.

For the time being, I've kept myself stuck in a small town called Elma, located in Washington State, and currently I remain both without a job and without finances (or financial aid) for college. Being just 20 years old ATM, that would put me with the Millenials when it comes to my generational classification, and with this young age comes a bit of an excess in explosiveness in me which I seek to correct. Sadly, as far as argumentative skills go, I haven't managed to shine yet; I've been used to the mentality of "that's just the way it is" for far too long. While I do desire to be a competent member of this forum, I don't want to drag any of you down with my current level of ineptitude. I want to be able to get into the game, but I don't yet know where, or how, to start playing.

As for discovering this site, Google and other search engines haven't been my friend, although I admit I don't like using said search engines. I was referred here by an online friend, and found myself enslaved to logic. It's only in these more recent months that I've found myself being compelled to pay more attention to the latest news about these issues, but I don't want to stay ignorant. If the other users here will have me, I'll do my best to catch myself up to you, but if you don't, then I understand.

MGUYH8

Post by MGUYH8 »

Hi Everyone:
I was born in late 1943; and I always thought I was part of the War Baby Generation. John X. places me in the Boomer Generation. I am a CPA/PFS. In simple terms, that is a Certified Public Accountant with a specialty in personal financial planning. I also dabble in real estate and real estate finance. I discovered this website several months ago while researching articles on Collateralized Debt Obligations, Liar’s Loans and Credit Default Swaps. John X. had an interesting and informative explanation about CDS transactions so I got hooked into reading some (actually most of) of his other articles. I am old enough to have lived through several California economic cycles; and I made some decent money during the economic ups and downs of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. After losing some hard-earned money during the recent down turn, John X. (and other contrarians) convinced me to sideline all of my equity investments in “safe” places. After the passage of the disappointing Government Stimulus Spending Plan, I am thinking the “safe” place for money may be under the mattress in some hidey-hole out in the desert. These are interesting times that we live in. I use John’s articles as a valuable resource. However, I am not looking for the next generational war (although there is a strong possibility that the Israel/Iran situation will draw us into a conflict). I am actively looking for the next bubble (aren’t they fun?) to replace some of that money I lost. My personal belief is that American Greed trumps Generational Theory. Unfortunately, I am not convinced that American Greed will trump the worldwide depression that we seem to be in at this moment. Time will tell.

The Grey Badger

Post by The Grey Badger »

Not under the mattress. All the thieves know that one. If you have a huge book collection, hollow out a book and stash it there.

fash

Post by fash »

Hi Guys,

41/male/Indian here...Marketing Consultant with a software consulting company in mumbai (bombay), India.

Came across GD a month back & have had sleepless nights since then..really !!

Besides the oncoming Great(est) Depression ...i am interested in following up THE "Clash of Civilizations"...
Gluck to all of us...

Thanx John..for your fervor..

Re/Fash

Samir

Post by Samir »

Hello everyone,

My name is Samir, I'm 21 years old (making me a Millennial), and go to college on Long Island. I'm a Computer Engineering Major, but I'm interested in many other subjects (economics, religion/spirituality/philosophy, politics, etc.).

So I've been lurking around the forums since they've come up, and I've been fallowing John's weblogs since early 2008. I find Generational Theory to be interesting, and stumble across a lot of interesting news on this site and in these forums. Since Computers are my field of study I'm intrigued by "The Singularity". I finally decided to register so I can take the opportunity to join Spiralman's e-mail list, but I may stay and throw in my 2 cents in some of the topics.
Last edited by Samir on Sun May 03, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerald

Post by gerald »

I been reading this site for a few weeks, and find it very interesting.
I am of the baby boom generation, 1945. During my years I have received some success as a sculptor, painter, instructor, industrial designer, ( for a large telecommunications co, receiving an award and patents ) a former member of the IEEE, and a real estate developer, (renovated several hundred apartment units that I own/owned --in Chicago). I also have an interest in many things, such as cosmology, cryptozoology, ancient history, finance, politics and anything that strikes my fancy.
I should also mention that over the years I have suggested numerous ideas that were considered ridiculous or nuts by those that know better, and sometimes, I was latter later proven correct.

Gerald

TomChemEngineer

Post by TomChemEngineer »

Hi Folks, Call me "Tom". Mid fifties. I am an engineer as well.
A friend turned me on to GD several months ago and I have been reading posts ever since. Just want to have all the inputs that I can muster, since no growth occurs without stretching, and shifting paradigms requires effort and information.
Looking forward to some good insights and spirited debate.

Qlexander

Post by Qlexander »

Hello everyone :)

My name is Alexander, I study Mathematics in a university in England. I'm from 1990, which would make me a late Millenial, and among the youngest members of the forum. My parents are both Boomers from the mid-50's and working for the EU, which has made me simultaneously confident about the stability of the European Union but suspicious of its effectiveness. I found the Generational Dynamics site late 2008 and have gradually become more and more of a regular reader, but only recently did I venture into the forums. So here I am.

It wouldn't be right to say I "stumbled upon" the site. I was actively searching for anything resembling Isaac Asimov's fictional history-predicting tool, Psychohistory (John X. mentions this tool in 'Generational Dynamics for Historians'), and I found this. Ever since, I have been using this site almost as a news source, and while I do remain skeptic of some of the predictions here, I usually find GD to be a more reliable source than most others. Also, it is such a neat way to view the world in my opinion, everything suddenly makes so much more sense. So thank you John X., for all your articles and for making everything available online.

Foolworm

Post by Foolworm »

Hello, everyone. Like the poster above me, I was inspired by Asimov to look around for websites making predictions following some kind of theory that actually made sense. The concept on this website is beautifully simple, if somewhat incomplete.

I would also shamelessly plug the works of James Dale Davidson and Lord William Rees-Mogg, who advocate the concept of 'Megapolitics'. I believe these two theories are among the best efforts to explain socio-economic trends.

As far as I'm concerned, Generational Turnovers (which is a pretty ancient concept, but one that has not been extensively scrutinized) is simply one of many 'rules' which describe human actions. I'm slightly sceptical of the range of the phenomena attributed to and predictions based on it, but I will not dismiss them since I do not have a better proposal... Yet. Besides, if something works, even for the wrong reasons...

In the meantime, I will do my best to contribute, which means building arguments as well as tearing them down mercilessly. I will agree and disagree with what I do or do not see fit. Above all, I will try to maintain some semblance of civility, but may well give the opposite impression.