Drug legalization and GD

Awakening eras, crisis eras, crisis wars, generational financial crashes, as applied to historical and current events
Tom Mazanec

Drug legalization and GD

Post by Tom Mazanec »

It is interesting to see Marijuana being legalized in a Fourth Turning, so i was wondering if this will extend to other psychoactive drugs in this and future turnings.
What's your take, John?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

FishbellykanakaDude

Re: Drug legalization and GD

Post by FishbellykanakaDude »

Tom Mazanec wrote:It is interesting to see Marijuana being legalized in a Fourth Turning, so i was wondering if this will extend to other psychoactive drugs in this and future turnings.
What's your take, John?
OK,.. OK,.. OK,.. I'm not John,.. but...

When chronic anxiety is NORMAL, the "normal" (voters) want relief (via psychotropics)!

..pretty simply, really. <chuckle!>

Somehow, I get the impression that that is NOT really the question you wanted answered, though, is it?

Aloha dudes! :) <shaka nui!>

John

Post by John »

FishbellykanakaDude wrote: > OK,.. OK,.. OK,.. I'm not John,.. but...
I hereby dub thee "FishbellykanakaDude-pseudo-John" and grant that
thou now hast the right to answer questions directed at me.
Tom Mazanec wrote: > It is interesting to see Marijuana being legalized in a Fourth
> Turning, so i was wondering if this will extend to other
> psychoactive drugs in this and future turnings. What's your take,
> John?
As I recall, the movement to legalize marijuana has been going on
at least since the 60s. I'm not sure there's a generational
angle. Maybe it's more similar to a technological development,
rather than a generational development.

FishbellykanakaDude

John wrote:
FishbellykanakaDude wrote: > OK,.. OK,.. OK,.. I'm not John,.. but...
I hereby dub thee "FishbellykanakaDude-pseudo-John" and grant that
thou now hast the right to answer questions directed at me.
FAR too much responsibility por moi!

I'd rather be the "FishbellykanakaDude-court-jester-in-King-John's-Court".

..yeah, that smells better!

Tom Mazanec wrote: > It is interesting to see Marijuana being legalized in a Fourth
> Turning, so i was wondering if this will extend to other
> psychoactive drugs in this and future turnings. What's your take,
> John?
As I recall, the movement to legalize marijuana has been going on
at least since the 60s. I'm not sure there's a generational
angle. Maybe it's more similar to a technological development,
rather than a generational development.
The Drug Cycle:
1) People who want them get them and use them (the "likable town drunk" phase),
2) Prudes outlaw said drugs, creating outlaws, and eventually violent outlaws, creating jobs for "police",
3) "Police" lose respect and are "voted into submission" by wealthy wanna-be likable town drunks,
4) Crisis War happens, people have more important things to worry about, resetting the cycle to Phase 1 above.

..is this just a restatement of the GD Cycle in different terms!?

Or, perhaps I'm just stuck on 4-Phased cycles?

There IS something oddly comforting about cycles with four phases. Maybe that's a weird human "artifact" of people dividing the visual field into 4 parts, the horizon bisected by a tall tree, or erstwhile stick-thing held vertically?

Perhaps.

Aloha gangies! :) <shaka!>

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

I think it depends on a case by case basis. I don't think altering human consciousness is inherently bad but obviously is far more likely to be abused. I see the progression of drug use/acceptance moving along with the arrow of increasing complexity of civilizations. If a society deems a drug (or any behavior) beneficial it will become accepted in the final phases before the society has to simplify and cut out all the bad and wasteful behaviors. These newly accepted behaviors will then become apart of the drying cement that forges the new operating system of society. Societies pursue this "greedy" gradient ascent until another society that has arrived at a better local (or global) maxima comes along and knocks them on their butt. It is all part of the branch and bound algorithm of genetics just applied on a cultural level. Prophets are the "branchers" and Heros are the "bounders". Minimalism FTW.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

I'd also like to add that from what I can see it seems "vertical farming" will have to play some substantial part in continuing to increase agricultural output. Our current system doesn't seem like it will scale, our soil "ain't what it use to be". If that is the case then it will require substantial investment and research to transition to a new model. Traditional crops could (and are) being used as a means of building business models around these new techniques, however, these crops are never going to see the margin that a cash crop like marijuana will. Legalization would cut years out of that process. Just sayin'

FishbellykanakaDude

Heisenberg wrote:I think it depends on a case by case basis. I don't think altering human consciousness is inherently bad but obviously is far more likely to be abused. I see the progression of drug use/acceptance moving along with the arrow of increasing complexity of civilizations. If a society deems a drug (or any behavior) beneficial it will become accepted in the final phases before the society has to simplify and cut out all the bad and wasteful behaviors. These newly accepted behaviors will then become apart of the drying cement that forges the new operating system of society. Societies pursue this "greedy" gradient ascent until another society that has arrived at a better local (or global) maxima comes along and knocks them on their butt. It is all part of the branch and bound algorithm of genetics just applied on a cultural level. Prophets are the "branchers" and Heros are the "bounders". Minimalism FTW.
Yes,.. minimalism for the win..!!

..seed, shoot, tree, fruit. :)

(( Hmmmm,.. it even rhymes! Dang...! ))

Who's the next "Genghis the Hoard Leader"?

..personally, I think it'll be the "Revenge of the Neanderthal/Denisovan Part-Breeds" in the Yakutsk-Bergen-Tehran Triangle (with a little assist from eastern and central Oceania). But it won't actually happen until after the GD Crisis War AFTER the upcoming one (so about 75 to 90 years from now).

Agreed,.. that IS a rather large triangle, but the bigger the triangle the more likely it is that the "Horde Leader" it generates will be a bit less "ethnocentric" and more like that OTHER Genghis in his later years.

John

Post by John »

Horde?

John

Post by John »

Whored?

FishbellykanakaDude

John wrote:Horde?
Yeah,.. kinda the ultimate in "Populism", as it were. :)

(( Mongols Season 1 Full - from Genghis to Kublai ))

I'm naturally "pro-Horde", though in practice quite a bit less so. The problem with early hordes, as opposed to later, more "evolved" hordes, is that they tend to be a little too pitchforky and meat-shieldy in their operation.

Give me a nicely aged "evolved" horde any day.

..also, I had loads of fun playing a Horde (Troll) character in WoW several years back, and really liked the nifty green and blue skin tones of my fellow alliance members.

Aloha nui! :) <shaka!>