Generational Timelines for China

Awakening eras, crisis eras, crisis wars, generational financial crashes, as applied to historical and current events
jmm1184

Generational Timelines for China

Post by jmm1184 »

I have been studying Chinese history for years, but have only recently turned to it from Generational Dynamics perspective. Unfortunately, crisis wars are hard to identify, as most of the attention goes to dynastic changes, whereas a lot of the frontier wars who are most likely crisis war candidates are given cursory treatment as "frontier wars." Nevertheless, I do have a tentative list. If anyone else is studying Chinese history (or is Chinese themselves) please comment and correct (nicely please!)

For North China
1618 - 1646: The Qing Conquest and Peasant Rebellions
1700??? - 1720???: Mongol Wars and Conquest of Tibet
1796 - 1804?: The White Lotus Rebellion
1850 - 1877: The Taiping, Nian and Dungan Rebellions
1927 - 1950: The Chinese Civil War & WWII

For South China
1662 - 1683: War with Koxinga and The Revolt of the Three Feudatories
1786 - 1789: Ming Loyalist rebellion in Taiwan & Invasion of Vietnam
1850 - 1871: The Taiping Rebellion

Worthy mentions
Hui Peoples/SW China
1735 - 1736: Hui Rebellion
1795 - 1806: Hui Rebellion
1850 - 1873: The Taiping & Panchay Rebellions

Given the coincidence of The White Lotus Rebellion and the Hui Rebellions of SW China, there is the possibility that this constituted a combined crisis period for a great part of China.

China is vast and the Qing Wars and Conquest of China lasted 65 years, so I am sure that there are multiple generational timelines running throughout China before the Taiping and other rebellions in the mid 1800s. If anyone has any leads as to what these might be, please let me know.

Also, one potential problem is that much of China following the War of the Three Feudatories was peaceful for longer than 80 years. There were several frontier wars that could very well act as crisis wars for those peaceful regions (such as the region around Shanghai), but the regions themselves experienced internal peace between the Qing Conquest and the Taiping Rebellion.

John

Re: Generational Timelines for China

Post by John »

I completely forgot about this, but in 2010 I wrote a pretty lengthy
analysis of Chinese history coming out of the Mongol invasion that
climaxed in 1206, and how it echoes in China today.

** 6-Dec-10 News -- Mongol invasion of China in 1206 has impact today
** http://www.generationaldynamics.com/pg/ ... tm#e101206

It's possible that some of that material will tie in to the work that
you've done.

gerald

Post by gerald »

jmm--
Regarding assistance from those that are Chinese don't hold you breath.

Yes , I know one or two interactions doesn't correlate to a larger group.

However , at last New Years Eve celebration, a public event in which I had chance to meet a lady, late 30's born and raised in China who moved to the US about 7 years ago, and we got to talking about China. After talking for a while , she appeared quite sophisticated and knowledgeable , so I brought up a topic which I thought she would be proud in discussing, regarding accomplishments in Chinese history. -- I started with the pyramid complex in western China, she never heard of it. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/piram ... hina_3.htm - curiosity got the best of me, so I asked if she knew about Roman descendants in China http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... China.html -- or the red haired mummies of China http://thelivingmoon.com/43ancients/02f ... Basin.html. answer - no. I got the impression that what is taught in school is what is approved of ( same as here and else where ) ---

When I was in China ( I have been there twice and I am definitely NOT an authority on China ) however one of the places our guide took us to was a well maintained historical wooden structure ( about 200 years old?) with extensive writing on the walls. Our guide said that Chinese writing is complex and has under gone many changes over the years, he also said that few people in China could read the writing on the walls.

Apparently ( I am on thin ice here ) because of the complexity of the pictograms you have to know what it means in order to be able to read it, unlike say Chaucer of the 14th century, which with difficulty one can get the gist of the story from the original writing.

best of luck

Nathan G

Post by Nathan G »

jmm1184 wrote:I have been studying Chinese history for years, but have only recently turned to it from Generational Dynamics perspective. Unfortunately, crisis wars are hard to identify, as most of the attention goes to dynastic changes, whereas a lot of the frontier wars who are most likely crisis war candidates are given cursory treatment as "frontier wars." Nevertheless, I do have a tentative list. If anyone else is studying Chinese history (or is Chinese themselves) please comment and correct (nicely please!)

For North China
1618 - 1646: The Qing Conquest and Peasant Rebellions
1700??? - 1720???: Mongol Wars and Conquest of Tibet
1796 - 1804?: The White Lotus Rebellion
1850 - 1877: The Taiping, Nian and Dungan Rebellions

For South China
1662 - 1683: War with Koxinga and The Revolt of the Three Feudatories
1786 - 1789: Ming Loyalist rebellion in Taiwan & Invasion of Vietnam
1850 - 1871: The Taiping Rebellion

Worthy mentions
Hui Peoples/SW China
1735 - 1736: Hui Rebellion
1795 - 1806: Hui Rebellion
1850 - 1873: The Taiping & Panchay Rebellions

Given the coincidence of The White Lotus Rebellion and the Hui Rebellions of SW China, there is the possibility that this constituted a combined crisis period for a great part of China.

China is vast and the Qing Wars and Conquest of China lasted 65 years, so I am sure that there are multiple generational timelines running throughout China before the Taiping and other rebellions in the mid 1800s. If anyone has any leads as to what these might be, please let me know.

Also, one potential problem is that much of China following the War of the Three Feudatories was peaceful for longer than 80 years. There were several frontier wars that could very well act as crisis wars for those peaceful regions (such as the region around Shanghai), but the regions themselves experienced internal peace between the Qing Conquest and the Taiping Rebellion.
Thank you so very much for posting this. I always knew that China was actually multiple cultural regions, but John's timelines always treated it as a whole. In general, I'm trying to collect as many generation timelines as I can, as they are surprisingly rare on this website.

John

Post by John »

Nathan G wrote: > Thank you so very much for posting this. I always knew that China
> was actually multiple cultural regions, but John's timelines
> always treated it as a whole. In general, I'm trying to collect as
> many generation timelines as I can, as they are surprisingly rare
> on this website.
I assume you're aware that I sometimes include a generational
timeline in a World View article, and there are dozens of these
scattered around the web site.

If you've collected them all in one place, perhaps we can post your
work as a separate article on the main web site. If that interests
you, let me know.

Nathan G

Post by Nathan G »

John wrote:
I assume you're aware that I sometimes include a generational
timeline in a World View article, and there are dozens of these
scattered around the web site.

If you've collected them all in one place, perhaps we can post your
work as a separate article on the main web site. If that interests
you, let me know.
If they're all yours, idk why you've never done it.

But sure, I'd be glad to send you my work as soon as I get the chance.